w10 defragging/trimming (both)my SSD on scheduled?w10 19042.804

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by kman, Mar 8, 2021.

1. kman

kman Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti Strix
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I only have 1 SSD as my storage and on scheduled my PC both trimmed/defragged my SSD.It only trimms if I manually optimise.

Is this normal behaviour?

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  3. kman

kman Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti Strix
    Just to clarify since I've been getting mixed messages since making this thread saying "it's bad to defrag SSD's"

On Scheduled tasks it's normal for w10 to simultaneously defrag/trim an SSD?
    As I pointed out if I manually optimize my SSD only 1 trim event shows up in the event viewer.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    SSD Defrag will occur with scheduled optimizations when a fragmentation threshold is hit, on volumes with system restore enabled.

5. kman

kman Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti Strix
    System restore is enabled by default [​IMG] so il take it is a yes its normal.

6. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    defrag will trim not defrag ssd's so yes its fine to configure ssd in there.

However in my experience it will only do it once and never again unless you manually trim.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  8. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    As much as I dont want to burst your bubble, that article isnt accurate.

If you enable system restore in a ssd, it will enable the volume snapshots, but this still doesnt affect the scheduled optimisation, if you configure to allow the drive to be automatically optimised, check months later you will notice it hasnt been done, even if volume snapshots are in use.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The article has quotes from Microsoft, did you even read beyond the first line (i doubt it)

You're talking about a bug prior to 2004 where the last optimized date would reset to never run

Already fixed.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  10. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    The article is from 2014, I got my information from microsoft themselves.

But not only that, its not hard to test yourself, enable volume shadow copies,enable auto defrag/optimise for the volume, and note it does not run every month.

I am not disputing it may be doing something else in addition to trim, just the part where he states it will do it every month.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I dont run System restore on anydrive, which I guess is those "shadow" copies?

Defrag trims my 2 ssd every 30 days. window optimises SSD via Trim on schedule, which isnt the same as defrag

Smough likes this.
  12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I bet you asked Microsoft answers. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile I speak to actual Microsoft engineers.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Mean while I think you are one for MS/NVIDIA/AMD or at very less speak to them all :rolleyes:
    your bottomless pit of info even if people dont want to agree with you or like you cause how you come off sometimes among other things.

I do not mean anything mean or bad by any of this, I think your one few people on guru3d and few other place I go that are wealth knowledge.

Smough likes this.
  14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Consider me to have the connections of a techtuber without actually whoring myself on that service XD

15. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Hardly :) That site is well I wont say anything.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Microsoft "answers" are mostly "user" helping user's" most "MS" Mod are just that mods imo in all my years going there I never had answer come from anyone other then other users

17. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    I wonder why W10 thinks SSD partitions should be trimmed only monthly as compared to weekly. On most Linux distros for example, the default is to trim once a week. Some even go as far as enabling live trimming, meaning every file deletion is immediately trimmed, at least for SDDs that support the "async trim" command, aka "queued trim" (example: https://lwn.net/Articles/787736/)

It seems to me that doing it only once a month would result in quite a lot of write amplification on the SSD?

18. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    AFAIK, Trim is done weekly and defrag monthly by default settings.
    Check taskmanager>defrag.

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Mine is set to monthly cause last time I use Weekly it never did any triming, I assuming that was fixed? if you saying trim is done weekly

*I optimized my ssd's and set it to scheduled weekly and see it actual works this time.*

Defualt has always been monthly and last 3 times I tried to use weekly it never works maybe it works now in 20h2

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  20. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    It seems not. The task itself is scheduled to run once a week, but it just checks if a month has passed since the last trim. So it only trims once a month.