W10 and Changing SSD on New Laptop

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by pegasus1, Feb 20, 2018.

1. pegasus1

pegasus1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    Ive done this a few times but just need to confirm nothing has changed regarding W10 and registration etc. I have a new gaming laptop with a 256gb M2 SSD and an old gaming one with a 500 M2 SSD. Il be formatting both and swapping them round.
    I have activated W10 on the new laptop, can i just add the other (formatted) SSD, install W10 from USB and it will auto activate? Also the same with the other SSD into my old gaming laptop.

Cheers

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Can I install W10 from USB and it will auto activate?

Correct.

3. Chastity

Chastity Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    Assuming you log in using your Microsoft account, it will. It should also do it w/o the MS acct since you haven't changed the hardware much. (Mobo is still the same)

4. pegasus1

pegasus1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    i use a local account and havnt changed anything, its a brand new laptop, just adding a different SSD.
    @Agent-A01 Cheers

5. pegasus1

pegasus1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    All, will adding an NVMe drive give me any realworld speed boost, its a gaming laptop that is also used for office type work.

6. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080ti GAMING X
    i upgraded both my laptops to SSD so easy using USB i did create sys backup so i could restore my OS if i had problems but both laptops worked and activated

7. pegasus1

pegasus1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    It already has an SSD, ive added SSDs plenty of times. My question related more to W10 and the registration system currently in place

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    If they SSDs are relatively new like an 850 EVO or similar, no, you won't see much difference from NVMe.

Certainly nowhere close to the original HDD > SSD boost.

Most NVMes are obviously much faster on sequential, but small file performance isn't that much different than SSDs which is what attributes to the feeling of speed.

9. pegasus1

pegasus1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    Just realised i cant swap them as the SSD in my Gigabyte 970m gaming lappy is mSATA not M2 so ive bought an WD Black 512gb NVMe for the OS and games, il keep the 256gb M2 drive (This MSI lappy has twin M2 slots) that came with it installed for my docs and the 1TB drive for video etc. Just waiting on the Amazon man to deliver.