W/Freesync Enabled: Exiting to Desktop from Certain Games Reduces Refresh Rate

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    What version of win10 are you on?
    I've been told that these drivers are for the most current version of win10. However, I ignored that because on AMD's drivers website it just says Windows 10 64-bit version. And doesn't imply v2004 for example.

2. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 480 8GB OC/UV
    2004. Not sure if there would be any differences between Windows versions for such aspects.

3. ms178

ms178 Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 56
    I've seen occasional black screens after starting Company of Heroes 2, turning the monitor (in my case HP 25x) off and on again brings back the picture. I think the game defaults sometimes to 60 Hz as I can see the flickering in the menu even though it is supposed to run at 120 Hz (in-game setting: Full HD with 120 Hz, my desktop is at 144 Hz). But this problem is more rare these days, with older drivers this was more common in other games as well where it could occur between changing resolution/refresh rates, especially from 60 Hz to 144 Hz.

Concerning the Freesync issue, I sometimes get lower fps and higher frame times when alt+tabbing in and out of Battlefield 1 and 5. Sometimes alt+tabbing again several times can improve this again.