VRAM overclocking without thermal pads?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Klementh, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Klementh

Klementh Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1060 3GB
    Trying to get as much juice as I can from my GTX 660 ti while waiting for Volta to finally upgrade, but I'm afraid to overclock its memory because it has no themal pads. Not knowing memory temperature is quite frustrating for me because from testing I was able to reach more that 7000 MHz stable on it.
    Right now I have it at 6600 MHz but I'm worried I could be killing it, which I don't want, because I intend to sell it.

I have googled and people don't seem to agree. Some say that video memory consumes little power, so just airflow from the fans is enough, but then, why do manufacturers put thermal pads on cards at all? There's even people who say heatsinks heat the memory rather than cooling it. What do you guys think?

2. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I could be completely wrong, but I always thought that overclocking the memory yielded very minimal gains. I think it's much more valuable to OC the core clock.

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Depends on the architecture and the cards initial clocks whether it will bring a decent performance benefit.
    And some games benefit more than others.
    Its free to try short term. You can go back to stock memory clocks without a problem.

Heat is the enemy of electronics when pushed hard.
    Current leakage in silicon increases with temperature which can cause runaway temp problems if left unattended.
    But since the card will crash when it gets too hot for stability you get some idea of what too far is.
    If you back off to 50% of the max clock increase you should be safe but keep the fans and main heatsink clean so airflow is always good. And turn the fan speed up as high as you can tolerate while gaming.
    I use afterburner to control the fan speed.

My advice if you want to push it hard is to fit memory sinks on the rear of the card.
    Its a common technique to better cool ICs.
    Place a thin pad and sink exactly where the chip is on the reverse side of the PCB.
    If there is a backplate to cool other components, you can place pads so the plate is used to cool the ram as well, then fit finned heatsinks to the backplate with thermal glue ideally, and blow a fan at them.

4. Klementh

Klementh Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1060 3GB
    Thank you Mufflore. I'll try to do some of that.

@scoter man1, the 660 Ti suffers the most from low memory bandwidth, so overclocking it is really useful.

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    You will generally see artifacts when memory is too hot, kinda like random colors flashing..

Increasing VRAM doesn't cause much extra heat output