Vram bottlenecking ? Empyrion G.S. [solved]

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ToyTen, Sep 22, 2021.

1. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    Playing Empyrion Galactic Survival.

Severe issue:
    Unity engine crashes seemingly because/when the total VRam capacity is reached(i use AfterBurner)

Actual resolution 3840*1200, coming from 5760*1200.
    I have a GTX 1080 msi gaming X and 9820x CPU / 32Gb Ram / Win 10 pro running on M.2 500GB PCI-e ssd.
    Mobo is an ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega.

Looking at prices of GPU's, if i get myself a MSI 3060 gaming Z trio 12 Gb will my prolem be solved ?
    If i get myself a MSI 3060 Ti gaming X trio 8 Gb, will my prolem be solved too ?

The comparison between these two will help me understand if a higher GPU Memory bandwith reduces the demand on Vram.
    Because this is my actual difficulty: 8Gb of Vram reached on a 256bit bus width (my gtx1080). Reminder, 3840*1200.

Also, and i don't think my "fear" is relevant at all, 3060 do have more shader cores: 2560 for my actual GPU, and progressively more as i go upwards the GPU price

Regardless of pci-e version (my cpu doesn't handle pci-e 4.0) i would say yes but here is my confusion.

And my system needs a new GPU

I could keep my 1080 some more time surely, but this Vram bottleneck makes me ask for some guidance

Take care

2. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Open task manager: Performance tab > GPU

There you'll find "GPU Memory". Do what you do with your unity thingy whilst watching that memory counter,
    if you hit all 16GB, and then it crashes - guess a gpu with more memory will help. If however you crash at 11-12,
    then the vram is most likely not the issue. And do not watch Dedicated GPU memory, running out of it doesn't
    cause crashes, it causes slowdows as whatever is needed is now being fetched from the system memory. If you
    run out of the 16gb gpu memory however, issues will arise. I know because I've pushed my system past that
    point with the stuff i work on and going past dedicated vram is never an issue, whilst going past the total vram
    caused programs to just disappear from the screen.

ToyTen likes this.
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    report it to the game developer, they should invalidate and manage their video memory and definitely should not be crashing at the limit of physical vram..

ToyTen and Maddness like this.
  4. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    Shouldn't crash on physical Vram top because there is the system memory after it ?

5. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    Unity engine, on this tittle at least, updates quite fast. like it seems to me on Stranded deep, too.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    is it Vulkan or D3D12?

Theres some issues where Vulkan driver implementations (atleast by nvidia) doesn't like memory addresses that are too much higher than the total physical vram, heres an example with DXVK

[​IMG]

You might be thinking "This is bad video memory", but its purely a software issue with the vulkan client driver not liking it when video commit is above total available, the same issue does not occur with OpenGL or Direct3D (D912prxy)

Users of Cemu experience this often with graphics cards that have limited video memory.

[​IMG]

Reducing the gpu commit level, even if it doesn't reduce the current physical used does the job.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  7. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    E:GS is D3D11

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    D3D11 will let you use all vram and all system memory if you let it, the performance will suck though.

Whats likely the actual problem is that unity is based on dotnet C, and uses C# style garbage collection rather than active memory management.

9. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC

Maybe this explains why i still have poor preformances while upgraded to a 3080 ... and beeing on Win 11.
    Though my Ram usage, with the youngster, isn't reached.

All my other games have reacted as intended to the new hardware.

10. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    I guess i can say this is sort of resolved now. Thanks to both of you.