VR lens mod?

Discussion in '3D Stereo and VR Gaming Section' started by mike2299, Jul 1, 2020.

1. mike2299

mike2299 Member

GPU:
    nVidia
    Hi, did anyone do that VR headset lens mode when you remove Fresnel lenses and install regular ones? Sounds like a good idea since those Fresnel lenses produce blurry image quality.

2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Yeap, did it with my Vive, and then went back to the original as the mod caused eye strain after about 15 mins of use, something i have never had with any VR HMD, plus i had to spend almost a entire day trying to get dust from the system and even one small tiny bit looks like a boulder, wish i had not tried it now because once you crack the seal on those lenes you will never get them back to the way they were.

Pros...They did look better with no god rays.
    Cons...Caused eye strain, lost some FOV, it is a flip of the coin if this wil work for you or not, one tiny bit of dust getting into these is a complete nightmare.

scatman839 likes this.
  3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    Dust is why I won't do that index fan mod, despite really needing a fan on it.

Next gen headsets have really got to think about the heat of these things.

XP-200 likes this.
  4. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    ^^^Yeap, i even did the whole bathroom steam thing to keep the dust at a min but once you crack open the lens seals its over as dust will get into the once sealed unit, and that is worse than some glare issues.

5. mike2299

mike2299 Member

GPU:
    nVidia
    Thank you guys for the input!