VPN yay or nay?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Jw_Leonhart, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    What's your take on them?

Plus sides? Down sides? My friend uses it, says he's more "secure", doesn't download anything illegally... isn't that kind of the point of a VPN? Even then I heard they don't work, any truth behind all this?

2. slick3

slick3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    It depends, if you can afford it... it wouldn't necessarily hurt. Yes it hides your internet browsing and downloads, and in some cases it might improve website loading and video buffering times.

I don't know how that would affect ping in MP games, maybe one can clarify.

3. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    I don`t see how your friend is more secure, what is he more secure from.

4. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Well, the government, I assume the US has something similar to the snoopers charter.

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Simple and easy..Opera VPN built-in .
    More elaborate and DIY: setup an Open VPN server, be it your own server, DD-WRT router or pfSense router, or your NAS.

Example..i used many, many time Opera built-in VPN and set the IP location Germany, thus allowing me buying stuff from Amazon DE, at lower prices even with shipping to where i live (not Germany), while trying buying the same stuff without VPN i was greeted with -We don't ship to your country message.
    Go figure.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I just use Tor browser or SSL to get around government censorship. I haven't felt the need to go for a VPN but if I do, it would only be for torrents.

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    Every torrent site nowdays warns about VPN and how you should use it. Still meh, whats the point, right?

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Too much hassle for little gain.
    Id rather be data mined then have my Youtube video pause/skip, or have 5ms higher ping.

Or you could just choose the seller who does ship to your adress.:infinity:

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I'd only do it if there was a real threat of legal action but over here I have ISP employees try to sell me higher plans using torrents as a selling point so I guess it will be never lol.

10. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Well, your IP at the time being will be on the list of peer swarm and ISP can ID you.
    So if content owner lose a nerve and start suing, you will be on the list.

Torrent sites just sells fear, fear makes people buy VPN. But whatever, in 99% you will be fine anyway, why bother, duh.

11. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    VPN service (BtoC).

Yay:
    - Encrypted connection. If someone wants your sh1t, they have to decrypt it. Not easy, lots of power needed. Keep your ISP or kid behind public Wi-Fi router wondering what you do like a school girl.
    - VPN provides you with IP of server location. Useful to access resources that restrict to specific range of IPs.
    - Feel safe? Probably biggest Yay.

Nay:
    - Cost money.
    - Depending on content and encryption strength, transfer speed can be slow and unstable.
    - VPN providers cannot be 100% trusted. As I like to hear they don't keep logs, I find it hard to believe.
    They know your IP, what and when been transferred. Sensitive content might be scanned inside network and your info exposed to officials. So as old saying goes, if you wanna make it right, better do it by yourself.

12. KevRichards

KevRichards Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 / 8GB
    I usually do torrenting and even bought a VPN to encrypt BitTorrent traffic as they say. It's pretty much hiding my online activities so definitely worth it for me. Anyone torrenting will usually need torrent VPN at some point because peerblock doesn't seem to be filtering all the suspicious IPs.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  13. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I have never seen a use for it. I actually think it's silly.

14. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    in some countries people can get in big trouble for downloading stuff/ usa gave up a long time ago......jailbroken fire sticks are every where here.

nuff said.

15. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    You know what silly? Kids being send to prison for downloading {input_top40_song_name_here}.mp3

16. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim RTX 3090
    There is nothing wrong here using torrents, illegal download etc. Been doing it all my life.

Yes, even people working for etisalat and du download torrents.

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I use VPN :)
    Softether.net
    So, my own VPN server and clients. It is quite OK, and has perfect bonus. They provide "permanent" DNS record for device.
    So, instead of using dyndns services where you have to click every month on some email to renew hostname, you have it working as long as you want. +VPN client/server updates this info every time your IP changes.

18. HawaiianBrian

HawaiianBrian Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1060 Amp 6
    I use VPN unlimited. $6.99 a month or a year $39.99. Try for free.
    I love it. I travel to Mexico all the time and i can watch "Directv Now"(cable tv) on my pc there with vpn. Also great for torrents.
    Set up was effortless. Speeds are good. Easy and safe to pay with amazon payment thingy.

https://www.vpnunlimitedapp.com/en/downloads/windows

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  19. HawaiianBrian

HawaiianBrian Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1060 Amp 6
    Its great if you travel to other countries. It unlocks regionally restricted content
    from your home country. Not all stuff works, netflix, hulu among the big ones that don't work for me even with vpn. In Mexico anyway.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  20. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080 Strix
    just an FYI, if you are doing something on the computer and the US, Russia or China wants to know about it, they are going to find out.