Voodoo5 6000???

Discussion in 'Videocards - 3dfx' started by Jw_Leonhart, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Pitman

Pitman Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 260
    Some n00b decided to buy one online for $1,000,000 apparently, like a few moments before 3DFX were bought out by nVidia.

Thinking about it they were taking the pi55, first dual core cards like 5500, which was an awesome card dont get me wrong, but then 4 VSA 100 chips on a card!! Cant see how it would fit in any of my cases.

Tho some came with the chips in a square formation:

[​IMG]

its probably the cost of the thing that helped them to go bankrupt

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  2. Ilmarin

Ilmarin Master Guru

GPU:
    POV 7800GTX 512 extreme
    $1000000????? you cant be serious?!?

3. Pitman

Pitman Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 260
    well ok maybe i added a few too many 0s but i remember it being something ridiculus like that, and it was probably off Ebay as well

4. Gnarg!

Gnarg! Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 X2 (HIS)
    Concidering that the card is a part of gaming history.. He could prolly get 1,000,000 for it XD

5. madmanjock

madmanjock Guest

Nah, several have cropped up on ebay now and gone for thousands of dollars but not a million lolz

6. mot19

mot19 Member

GPU:
    Geforce 6800 gt flashed to ultra
    yeah they come up once in awhile, theirs one up there now, search for voodoo5 6000 just like that and its there. Im gunning for it btw ;) They arnt THAT rare, goto www.3dfxzone.it and then the english forums and like 20 people have them. There are rarer 3dfx cards out there that id pay more for. COUGH rampage

7. Gnarg!

Gnarg! Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 X2 (HIS)
    .... But they look frickin awesome :eek:

8. Ciuvas

Ciuvas Guest

Jow I have one of those Voodoo 5 6000 it's a powerfull machine...:)

9. oralpain

oralpain Active Member

That multi-gpu crap was the final nail in 3dfx's coffin.

The later voodoos where not all that great comparied to the competition. No hardware T&L killed perfromance in many cases.

Yeah, the 6000 was faster than the Geforce 2 in most stuff, it also would have cost 3 times as much.

You can get a voodoo 5 6000 if you look around hard enough. They don't cost even a tenth of a percent of a million bucks in most cases.

10. reef_q

reef_q New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce4 MX4000 64MB DDR
    My 3DMark 2001 SE build 330 score is : 1590
    AquaMark3 score is : GFX 327
    CPU 5696
    Total 3188

My Computer specs:
    AMD Sempron 2200+
    Mobo :GigaByte 7VT600P-RZ (VIA KT600,DDR 400,S-ATA,FSB 400)
    Memory 256MB DDR400 Kingston @3.0,3,3,8
    HardDrive Maxtor 40GB ATA 133 7200rpm
    Graphic : Nvidia GeForce4 MX4000 64MB DDR (Cardex Pro)
    OS : Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 with Norton Antivirus 2005 and Norton GoBack 4.0 active.

That 3DMark 2001 and AquaMark3 score is normal for my computer?
    Need help, I want to play games with this machine.

THX

11. sh33p

sh33p Master Guru

GPU:
    Club3D x800pro | 474/491
    Wrong forum section for that, goto Nvidia.

As for the Voodoo cards, i always remember seeing drivers pop up for them, i always wanted a voodoo card as i had really bad integrated graphics (although most are never good enough anyway).

12. Dutch Guy

Dutch Guy Member

GPU:
    XFX 7800GT @ 480/1180Mhz
  13. jAMMER

jAMMER Guest

14. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega56 8GB \ GT1030
  15. Dr. Vodka

Dr. Vodka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X
    nice review... never had a 3DFX card... but it made me cry... really... snif.

16. PrinceGaz

PrinceGaz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GF8800GTS 640MB @ stock
    I love the V5 6000. I never had one or any other 3dfx card for that matter, but when I see photos of it I can't help but burst into a fit of giggles. It's ridiculous. Whether it's the one with four cores side-by-side, or two above the other two, they look equally crazy and the whole concept of a four-core card is utter madness. I can understand people paying good money for them these days due to their rarity and place in history, though.

No one in their right mind would use a V5 6000 or any other 3dfx card for any game released after 1998 as a bargain-bin nVidia MX card will out-perform even the 6000, and has ongoing official driver support.

17. T8000

T8000 Master Guru

GPU:
    GF6800 LE 128 MB 12p_softmod, fanless (24dB_total)
    4 GPU's

Thanks to SLI, cards with 2 GPU's are back.

This one, for instance:
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/VGA/Products/Products_GV-3D1-68GT.htm

It is even physically possible to put 4 GPU's in one system, using 2 of those cards. But a special Nvidia driver would be needed to actually make them work together.

Also, the reason why the Voodoo 5 did not make it was because it was too late. It should have blown away TNT2, but instead, it was delayed untill Geforce 2 was out.

Because of the long wait, Glide lost developer support, so Voodoo 5 was not only late, but it was also forced to compete using D3D, while its feature set for that API was not among the best.

18. Dutch Guy

Dutch Guy Member

GPU:
    XFX 7800GT @ 480/1180Mhz
    Yeah, unfortunately the V5 was way too late so it had to compete with the GeForce2 instead of the TNT2, a bit like a X800 having to compete with a 7800GTX.

I had a V5 5500 and loved it, I was stupid enough to sell it and a V3 3000 as well.

The few games that still had Glide ran soo much better than Direct3D

19. PrinceGaz

PrinceGaz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GF8800GTS 640MB @ stock
    Glide was a proprietary API developed by and only usable by 3dfx cards, whereas Direct3D and OpenGL were usable on all cards. Whilst I don't like Microsoft at all, the death of Glide thanks to the more widely supported Direct3D being adopted by most developers was the best thing that has happened in PC gaming history. Period.

Would you really want to go back to the days when Glide was just one of numerous APIs used by different card manufacturers, and if the game didn't support your card you had to run in Software rendering? Most of those games released around 1996-1997 can't even be played normally today with 3D acceleration on modern cards unless they had a Direct3D card selection (quite often a Matrox card), though thankfully quite a lot of them had a patch released later to add D3D support which generally works fine even on modern hardware. Even if Glide gave better performance than D3D or OpenGL on 3dfx cards because it was specifically developed for them, a universal API that worked with all cards albeit with a performance hit, was a lot better than requiring developers to spend extra time catering for individual cards with Glide2 drivers, Glide3 drivers, PowerVR drivers, Rendition drivers, etc.

No, 3dfx should have dropped Glide as soon as it was apparent a cross-platform API was available, but like a lot of decisions they made in their final days, they chose wrongly and clung on to their proprietary Glide API hoping to tie people into their increasingly uncompetitive and outdated cards, while providing support for D3D and OpenGL that was probably compromised because they were distracted by Glide. They quite literally lost the plot.

Personally I would like to see a further consolidation of graphics APIs, specifically the dumping of Direct3D (or WGF3D as it will probably become), and everything using OpenGL to allow true cross-platform compatibility. Microsoft are today's example of what 3dfx were back in 1996, market dominators, but it won't necessarily last forever.

----

...Hmmm, I didn't intend to type so much, I guess I got a bit carried away, but I stand by what I said

20. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    I do agree that it is not convenient (or how its spelled :p) for Glide to be dumped today because making 2 different codes is time consuming and that would most probably mean to make some "not so good" games if you don't have the budget. But as an API i do prefer it over D3D. Yes, it has shader models, but so does OpenGL. (extensions...) And the Rampage was supposed to support DirectX 8.1. (And Glide is based around OpenGL... at least the code is similar.)