Voltage drop when changing core clock with Afterburner

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Poisson, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poisson

Poisson Member

GPU:
    RX 590 Nitro+
    Hi, I have a 590 nitro+ and I have a problem with Afterburner and OverdriveNTool, changing the core clock, the voltage is droped fron 1.206v to 1.15v, like you can see in this video:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1F0YmvXIL05c7Tl0Kzc52xqCg-j7kh1P8

Do anybody with an 590 or other polaris gpu see this?.

I think that the problem is that Afterburner and overdriveNTool are not using auto voltages like wattman. It seems that they are using manual voltages. Increasin the clock with wattman and voltage in auto, I don't have the problem. But if I have wattman activated, I see that sometimes the max memory clock is droped fron 2000mhz to 1750mhz, and it can cause instability, so I don't have it activated. I'm using the 18.12.1.1 drivers.

2. Poisson

Poisson Member

GPU:
    RX 590 Nitro+
    It is happening as well when changing memory clock. I am using now afterburner 4.6.0 beta 14. I know how to solve this with a vbios mod. I think this is happening only with low asic quality gpus that comes with higher voltages. Mine have a 67.7% asic quality and it comes with 1.206v with auto, and 1.15v with manual. I had other 590 with a 75% asic quality that cames with 1.187v with auto and 1.15v with manual, so maybe to owners with a hight asic quality gpu could be less noticiable.

It seems that by default the gpu is using some auto voltages, and the ones that AB is using are the manual ones, that you can see with the new voltage/clock curve feature, at wattman or at OverdriveNTool. So a manual/auto voltage button, like in wattmam, seems to be needed for AB.

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

There will be no otions like this one or like new "timings tuning". AMD never cares to provide backward compatibility for their own APIs, tend to introduce weird software options with short life cycle, then kill support for it completely when new hw generation and new API version is launched. So it is a waste of development time to support such secondary things in AB core, sorry. Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.