Voltage adjustment greyed out

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion' started by masteratarms, May 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masteratarms

masteratarms Member

GPU:
    Asus EAH6850
    I have an Asus EAH6850 voltage tweak. I might try some water cooling soon, so I wanted to be able to use this setting. I've tried Asus GPU tweak and that didn't seem to work either and is generally a much inferior alternative to MSI afterburner and quite a bit more buggy.

Its pretty ironic that my card has voltage tweak written on the box and I can't adjust the voltage!

2. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX580
    Two thing off the top of my head is the "UnofficialOverclockingEULA" in the config file and whether your card is a "reference" model. If it is not have you tried Asus teak?

3. masteratarms

masteratarms Member

GPU:
    Asus EAH6850
    Its a "Asus voltage tweak" says so on the box. I tried messing with the cfg file, no dice.

Do u think an earlier version would work?

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  4. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX580
    actually no....i would download Asus tweak and try that http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=9&m=ASUS+GPU+Tweak+for+Graphics+cards

forgot to ask you if:

UnlockVoltageControl =1
    UnlockVoltageMonitoring=1

anyway look here for more info on AB http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=327291

one would think asus tweak would work if AB did not since its an asus card:)

Last edited: May 5, 2015

5. masteratarms

masteratarms Member

GPU:
    Asus EAH6850
    I found a post where somebody said that he needed Asus branded drivers to use the Asus software. I got drivers from 2011 and smart doctor + Asus OSD and I am able to adjust the voltage. I didn't test conclusively but the slider is available in Smart doctor and GPU-Z's sensor reports a higher voltage.

I clean installed the 2011 driver then loaded smart doctor + Asus OSD, checked it was working and did a complete driver uninstall (without going into safemode and using Display Driver Uninstaller) and installed Cat 15.4 beta.

I'm still using MSI afterburner for the fan profile and clocking, the voltage increase was just a test cause I'm looking at getting and AIO cooler, Kracken G10 & reusing some ramsinks I have lying about. I saw a deal on the H55 Corsaid but I want a dual rad solution for overkill.

U can't use Asus smart doctor with BF3, it crashes the game between rounds, its a known bug.

I was temporarily using my x1900xt and all I can say is that once your card becomes dated no matter if its still functional, the driver don't support it. Can't get 3d clocks + fan profile to work. Edit: Riva tuner told me which driver I was missing with my x1900xt - and it can clock now to default. Had to limit the frame rate in left 4 dead or it would crash. Probably needs new thermal paste.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  6. masteratarms

masteratarms Member

GPU:
    Asus EAH6850
    I got to the bottom of it. EAH6850 using the RT8867 buck pwm voltage controller which does not support I2C software control therefore MSI afterburner cannot support it (its only a few Asus cards which use this chip, and if MSI started using that chip then support would be added to MSI afterbuern). I'm not looking at hacking my bios.

7. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

My patience is over. Take it as the last warning, one more attempt to post false statements related to voltage control in MSI AB in different threads and your account here will be locked permanently. It is not only a few ASUS cards using RT8867, it is a cheap controller normally used on low-end cards with no voltage control including MSI ones. Unlike you claim, support for it will NEVER be added to future versions MSI Afterburner. Stop giving false hopes to users, you're close to crossing the line and leaving the forum. Seriously.
    Thread is closed.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.