Volt mod a GX2

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by SirLink, Oct 19, 2006.

1. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    Hey guys

With my new case on the way, I will be tearing down the water cool setup to reinstall in the new box. I will be at a point where it will not be hard to take off the DD waterblock to do the volt mod. Question is being that once I get it all back together I will not be able to "tweak" it very easy, what voltage should I shoot for to get the best oc on this card? Running 650/800 right now seems to be good at stock voltage.

My choices are 1.5, 1.55, 1.6, 1.65

Should I just go right up to the highest? I know there is no clear cut answer here, just looking to see if anyone has had any experience here that can maybe save me from having to drain my system several times to remove this block...

2. Spectacle

Spectacle Banned

GPU:
    X1950XTX Crossfired 780/2280
    I wouldn't put more than 1.55v through the core. You should see a nice gain in clocks from that. I only say that because with my previous 7900GTs (also water cooled) they didn't even respond very well to 1.55v so I lowered it to 1.5v and the performance was much better and allowed me a 720/1800 OC. Temps were not an issue either, as they never rose above 50C, so the best is to just expierement and see what works best for your card. Just some advice, sine the 7900GTs share the same core as your cards do.

3. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
    Nope! To my knowledge, they use the laptop core of the 7900gtx.

4. Spectacle

Spectacle Banned

GPU:
    X1950XTX Crossfired 780/2280
    Do they? I wasn't aware of that. IT's still the G71 though right?

5. Preachergeek

Preachergeek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 8800gtx @ 655/950
    Yeah, i'm fairly sure that they are just 2 geforce GO 7900gtxs stuck together. I'm not sure what the relevance of that on the voltmod would be. I'd personally go for 1.55V if i were in your position.

6. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
    The answer to your question Spectacle is no. The mobile cores are different TMK. As preacher said :)

-Satan

7. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    ok. thanks for the info guys... just wanted a good start point and a number that would do best... you know what i mean...

if they only needed mods to the back of the outer card, that be one thing, but you can't get to the other card while it is all together. so im just trying to save a lot of work...

i will try the 1.5 or 1.55 to start and see how much higher i can go... if it is enough to give me a little more boost, might just leave it there then...

8. Patriote

Patriote Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 580GTX DirectCUII
    Go for it SirLink! Fry that Card! :D :eek:c:

I have my X1900XT Running at 711/1610 whit 1.5v on the core! Can't wait to gte that Crossfire Edition card!

9. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    LOL

Nice! :D

10. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    Ok... Got my circuit writer pen and modded the cards so I should get 1.55v Is there a program in windows that will report the vcore voltage so I can know it was sucessfull? Will rivatuner report it, can't remember?

Still working on putting my parts into my new case, so I have actualy booted it up after modding yet... :p

11. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    any ideas here guys? seems to run great, but I want to make sure it is actually getting more voltage... I don't have my multimeter here, but even so, the way the card is mounted and with the blocks, not sure I can get a reading of it directly...

12. Sinacle

Sinacle Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 1800xt 700/1600

As far as I'm aware, it's not possible.

But, if overclockability has increased you have given it more voltage?

13. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    It would appear so...

Think I just found my max oc... 705/825 If I goto 710 then my temp goes from 44c to 45c. What I have determined along the way is that if the card hits 45c (at least in my setup) then I start to artifact. Though it is not much mind you... I probably could get away with it and leave it there or go higher. The artifacts appear one or two specs of white every 10 or 15 sec. or so... So it is not much. And that is in rthdribl! :p I don't think i would even see it in a game. :p

14. brz555

brz555 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 WF3x OC
    i doubt it artifacts due to 45C, maybe it just can't go faster, LOL my loads at 80C when it's 590/1440 with no artifacts at all

15. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    I know it not due to temp...