VIVO and Flashing bios not working

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by chris454, Jan 21, 2004.

1. chris454

chris454 Active Member

GPU:
    WinFast A350 Ultra TDH MyVIVO flashed A380
    I still can't get VIVO to work after flash bios upgrade.
    This happen to anyone else and did you find a way to fix it.

I tried the flash with several diff bios, but i can never get VIVO to work after reinstalling WMD, I flash back to the original bios reinstall WMD and all is well again. I did try the 380 bios that includeds VIVO from leadtek. Anyone else having VIVO problems after flash?

Thanks again.
    chris454

2. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080ti 2g
    hi, look.. the 5950 has ANOTHER VIVO chip, not the same that it's installed on 5900 cards..
    when the 5950BIOS boots up it looks for that chip, because the ID of that VIVO chip is diferrent from the one on regular 5900s the BIOS ignores it, and states that the're is NO TV-out

and yeah it happenned to me too ;)
    reflashed back and everything is perfect again

3. chris454

chris454 Active Member

GPU:
    Ok thanks ignore the PM, i missread your specs i see now it says NO flash.
    Thanks
    chris454

4. harrymonk

harrymonk Guest

my vivo works

I flashed my a350 tdh ultra with the a380 bios and my vivo still works well.

If anything it has improved the functionality of my tv out and the video in seems clearer now.

I was having a few problems with forceware drivers before I flashed like black screen going into windows, but I have had no problems with it since.

I guess I must have been lucky with the vivo on mine.

5. chris454

chris454 Active Member

GPU:
    Harrymonk, where did you get the bios you flashed?
    Leadtek or elsewhere?
    Thanks
    chris454

6. harrymonk

harrymonk Guest

Hi Chris

I got the a380 bios directly from the leadtek website.

Thanks

Harry

7. Amadeus

Amadeus New Member

GPU:
    MSI 5900
    I have an MSI 5900. I flashed with with MSI 5950, leadtek and gainward bioses and everything was ok apart from VIVO.

Is there a 5950 with the same tvout chipset as the 5900?

8. Advis

Advis Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 6600GT 128mb
    *Possible* Fix for VIVO/TV-Out not working.

1) Get X-BIOS Editor by Ray Adams and the BIOS of the card you want to flash to.

2) Get the "Sub-Device ID" from your current BIOS, do this in X-BIOS by clicking Open>Read From Memory.

3) Modify the new BIOS you want to flash to so that it has the same Sub-Device ID as your current BIOS ROM.

4) Save and Flash.

Apparantly, the Sub-Device ID is what VIVO/TV-Out chip a graphics card has. By modifying your BIOS you should beable to enable your chip to work correctly.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT COULD HAPPEN TO YOUR GFX CARD IF OU DO THIS!!!!!!!!! AS ALWAYS BE CAREFUL ABOUT FLASHING BIOSES!!!!

Pls report back if this works.

9. Chouji

Chouji Ancient Guru

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    not all vivo's one the 5950 are newer chips, so some people can flash and it will work, and some people will have problems, but some bios's like gainwards are addapt for older vivo chips so try different bios's..

And listen to Advis2k3 he knows what he's talking about, i recently gave that a try and it worked. "but i had to flash like 5 times just get to get it so the vivo wouldnt work since it normally does for me."

10. chris454

chris454 Active Member

GPU:
    Will try, but it will be sometime this weekend before i have time.
    Thanks
    chris454

11. SilentBomber

SilentBomber Guest

well, I tried that and here's what I got.... with the 5950 bios straight off the leadtech web site, when I would go to the wdm drivers in the device manager, it would say location: unknown and in the little box say that there is a problem with this device. Well, I used the x-bios thing to change that stuff that was mentioned before, and when I go to the device manager now, it says "this device is working properly" in the little box for the wdw drivers.... so I got excited, thinking it might work... turned the computer off, hooked up the VIVO connector, turned the computer on................................. no video out =(

**EDIT -- IMPORTANT**
    I also just noticed that this is also making the video card return 0 degrees for the temperature, so I think the sub-device ID might have been for the temp probe ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2004
  12. chris454

chris454 Active Member

GPU:
    I was too busy to try it. Hope i can get to it in a day or 2.
    But my always seems to load right drivers and all, just none of the software can detect it. Guessing because of bios not detecting it.

chris454

13. Advis

Advis Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 6600GT 128mb
    Hello all,

Sounds like my Sub-Deviced trick went down with mixed reactions. A few of my friends tried it and got working results. If you are experiancing problems then MAKE 100% CERTAIN THE SUB-DEVICE ID'S MATCH then reflash. Regarding the temperature bit, have you reinstalled your drivers Mr SilentBomber? This would be a big problem if yoiu havn't.

I can all say one thing about you lot, your lucky. My FX5900 is dead and it has to be collected, tested, refunded then another one ordered before I can use my PC again. I'm expecting about 4 weeks for this to be all done so enjoy your high end gaming PC's whilst I read Tom Clancy books and type $#!% on my Toshiba 4200 series laptop with 450 mhz Pentium Celeron, 192MB SDRAM, 8mb S3 Graphics :D

14. SilentBomber

SilentBomber Guest

hhmmm... maybe Ill try it again and reinstall my videocard and VIVO drivers this time....

15. Mariachi

Mariachi Active Member

GPU:
    CF ATI 5850 @ stock
    I've tried this and it doesn't work. Flash went ok and after installing all the drivers i still did't get my tv-out to work. :(

16. SilentBomber

SilentBomber Guest

yeah, I tried it again too and reinstalled all drivers and no video out :( Oh well, I know soemtime in the future someone will figure out how to hack the drivers, or perhaps do it at the driver level such as a 9500 -> 9700 or a GeForce3/4 -> Quadro.....

17. SHIVAN484

SHIVAN484 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 480 + 9800gt (physx)
    No luck on mine , the albatron bios showed sub device ids of 0000 in the 5900 with vivo

18. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    You do not only need to set the Device ID correct, BUT you also NEED to make sure that the BIOS you are flushing, has VIVO instructions in it, and that those instructions are the correct ones. (i.e. for the VIVO chip your card has in.)

19. funkymonkey

funkymonkey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF 6600GT/ 6800GT went for RMA
    well vivo will work if you flash the bios with 5950 bios that uses same VIVO decoder/encoder chip. This is the primary reason i havent flashed my 5900U. My security door camera is hooked into the VIVO video in.

20. azazelph

azazelph Guest

Hi guys!

Am new here so greetings from the land of the rising sun! I have just upgraded my vid card to a Leadtek a350 tdh MyVivo with 256mb of RAM for roughly 240 USD. I know I could have bought a 9800pro at that price if i were in the US but here, while we do get the newer models early, the prices r waaay up (we did get the Athlon64 chip a week early here i think). So a 9800pro still cost rougly 260USD while one wont b able to find a 9700 pro anywhere!

Anyways, since most of the guys have 5900nu with 128mb of RAM and some had VIVO problems, was wondering about guys with non-ultras but 256mb vidRAM? I flashed mine to the leadtek 380 bios n got it from 475/950 to 535/965 but with load temps nearing 74C!!! Couldn't test my vivo functions though so am wonderin if there would be problems (mine says Philips TV encoder). Tnx in advance.

azazelph

ps. a week ago i got a 2nd hand 9700np for 160USD, turned out it was an 9700TX from dell...all i can say is...eeeeew!! :)