1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Visual port/hdmi Question

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by A M D BugBear, Feb 11, 2019 at 3:38 AM.

1. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 1080ti-XOC BIOS
    Hello, I been using Dvi-D for a very long time.

Looking into a native 4k display right now.

I am now using the yamakasi perfect pixel 1600p and works pretty good thus far.

My question is this:

If I use either display port or hdmi can I achieve higher resolution then 4k using dsr?? Cause I know dvi-d on this monitor, I can take it up to 4800p.

Just wanted to ask if its possible with these other cables besides dvi-d, thanks.

2. metagamer

metagamer Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    what is the monitor model exactly? does it have display port input?

3. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    2 1080ti-XOC BIOS
    Was looking into this:

https://www.amazon.com/AOC-U2790VQ-...Q+27&qid=1549852394&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull.

Heard their monitors are actually pretty good in general.

My yamakasi is an s-ips panel, this one is an TFT ips.

Think might be a good idea?

Trying to keep the same color saturation and overall quality.

You think it may look for bland compared to the s-ips?

Viewing it from an angle? I don't need.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 4:00 AM
  4. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    2 1080ti-XOC BIOS
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 4:36 AM

5. user1

user1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    Dvi-d single link and hdmi are electrically identical, but the maximum pixel clock is different, if you are looking at a 4k monitor make sure its hdmi 2.0 or displayport , both of those standards are capable of driving a 4k monitor at 60 hz(display-port can be a little better if its a newer version >1.2 )

as for dsr,it will not be effected by the output type, as it happens on the gpu. you can even use dsr on crts via vga if the card has one.

6. metagamer

metagamer Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    I'm confused as to what you want from your next monitor BugBear. Do you want 4k and then use DSR? That would kill performance to unenjoyable levels. I'd say 4k with high refresh rate would be much better. 4k surely is enough on a 27" monitor?

7. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    2 1080ti-XOC BIOS
    Picked one up. Should be here less then a week. I'll let you know how it goes, thanks.

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    27" too small for 4k.

9. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    2 1080ti-XOC BIOS
    I was looking into an IPS, same as the one before, cause I am happy how the overall qualty looks on my s-ips on my yamakasi 1600p, so I choose this one.

I was looking into the va 32 inch panel, did some reading on differences on panel, I know I have looked into it before, at the end, this will do just fine.

I can keep the yamakasi as a backup or other use when needed.

Then perhaps when I get my tax return, lol, I might move into the 8k monitor realm, YUM YUM, but since they are costy, maybe not anytime soon, maybe sometime this year I am hoping and yes they are not cheap.

But yes, thanks for the input guys on this topic. I know 27 inch is kinda small compared to my 30 inch 1600p but I wanted to keep it ips since that's what I been using for a long time, but I was very close getting that va panel.

Since I do mostly all testing, image,etc this will do just fine.

When choosing the 8k monitor in the future, this is the one I have to be very serious on which one I will be getting, going to be awhile.

10. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    2 1080ti-XOC BIOS
    Ok just got it in the other day, everything works good so far but one problem.

Well I am doing some quad performance test on my gtx 9xx setup. the card's Displayport version is 1.2, so as the monitor.

Monitor detects 60hz correctly but there is one problem here, If I go on a game or a benchmark, the program moves like its 30 fps for some reason.

I used the hdmi cable that came with the monitor and hooked it up to the hdmi 2.0 output, I got 30hz, so its a 1.4 cable.

I am going to try an 2.0 cable later, see how it goes.

I can do custom resolution and all but changing the same resolution as the native wont work.

I think I did one time at 2400p, and it ran pretty quick but not on 2160, will give heads up later.