Visual Artifacts?

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by MisterWhippy, Nov 1, 2018.

1. MisterWhippy

MisterWhippy Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 960
    Gurus:

This one is perplexing me. I just noticed this today, and it is a new thing for me. I have never seen anything like this in my years of PC building going back to the late 90s.

https://i.**********/Mcjq3vKr/artifacts.jpg

This is a picture of my second desktop, which is a 24" 1080p monitor turned 90 degrees. I think it is visible in the picture, but these artifacts change depending on what is happening on screen. I have installed the newest drivers for my GPU and it has not improved the situation.

My gpu is used, and I picked it up from a business that was using it for cuda computing about 6-8 months ago.

My current system:
    Asus Prime z270-k mobo
    i5 7600k
    GTX Titan
    16 gb (8gb x2) gskill ram
    PC power and cooling 910 PSU

I just loaded up Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, which I was just playing the other day without issue and this is what I am seeing:
    https://i.**********/mPqtrPXT/blood-dragon.jpg

Is this a GPU failing? Is taking it apart and fixing the thermal compound a valid fix, or are we past that? I just spend the early part of the evening removing EVERY Component from the PC and dusting it all out, and can confirm that everything is clean....there was very little dust at all in the GPU.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  2. Nijohc

Nijohc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    Looks like bad VRAM, try lowering the clocks a bit with afterburner but probably won't work. Other option is to bake it but if the chips themselves are faulty that won't work either. There is a program called Video Memory Test or something I used to use when running windows which tests your VRAM, you could try searching google for that.

MisterWhippy likes this.
  3. MisterWhippy

MisterWhippy Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 960
    Thanks for the response. I found "Video Memory Stress Test" and downloaded it and am running it now. I have checked my ram as well using the windows tool, and it found no problems. I am seriously looking at baking this card, because I bought it with the idea that it should last me a long time. This is the first time I have ever had anything like this happen, so that is hilarious. Every other video card I ever bought I had an upgrade path planned....now that Nvidia has dropped analog monitor support, I am somewhat limited, and now am 100% limited to used cards. I would rather try to bake this GPU than take my chances at some other potential garbage offload.

I found a replacement card on the shelf in storage....A PNY GTX 260 core 216. I doubt highly it is even supported, but it ran my games great for years, and I honestly don't play anything more intensive now vs then. Dark Souls PC and Shadows of Chernobyl are the most GPU intensive games....However, I would love to get another Titan or a 980 gtx or lower....Baking something that is broken means I have nothing to lose.

>Update
    Video memory test program didn't really show much
    OCCT however did kick out a bunch of memory errors, and 3 minutes in I just bailed. Looks like I am going to be baking this thing this evening.

4. MisterWhippy

MisterWhippy Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 960

5. MisterWhippy

MisterWhippy Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 960
    12 minutes at 400f did not fix it either.
    [​IMG]

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    What is wrong in that farcry blod dragon picture?

Those stripes, if yes that is normal.

Edit: nvm i saw those dark lines now.. yeah that is not right.
    What about different driver, which one do you use now?

7. Nijohc

Nijohc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    One for the rubbish pile - unless you can find a donor card and someone with mad skillz and lots of time on their hands lol.

8. MisterWhippy

MisterWhippy Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 960
    My brother works in a place that works on electronics and boards for automotive computers. I sent it with him. IF anyone can fix it, a team of friendly electronic engineers can....IF they can figure out what is bad, I am not abject to purchase of a donor card for it.

9. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Eagle
    Don't try baking card, it wont help, you are just taking chance to kill it completely with zero chance to fix it this way, card baking is myth even when done "correctly".
    For most solders 400F is not enough to melt solder and 12 minutes at this temp is really killing other components, there is reason why for SMT soldering is used higher temperature but for really short time to heat up solder, but not other components (better heat conductivity, faster it heats and solder have really good conductivity for heat).
    Re-flow process profile is usually around 60 seconds above 400F with 20s peak at 450F, depending on specific solder type.

GTX 260 have long Legacy status and is unsupported by current drivers, you would need to go back to 340 or earlier geforce drivers.