Vista x64 Sound Driver

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Dierdre, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Dierdre

Dierdre Banned

GPU:
    Evga Geforce 7800GTX
    Been up and running on Vista Ult x64 for a couple of days.

I was prepared for the worst, I setup the machine as dual boot with xp, and downloaded all the vista drivers I could before installing the OS incase I was unable to get on the net or needed them during the install process.

Upon my inital install, I though I ran into my first vista issue. No sound! But I had downloaded the newest sound drivers for my onboard audio and figured I just need to install them to fix the issue.

DFI UT Ultra-D NF4 --> Realtek AC'97

I have always used the Realtek drivers for sound as thats what comes on the disk with my motherboard. Well I installed all the windows updates first and did a reboot. Upon reboot Vista found the hardware and installed its own drivers. I figure this was added for compatablity reasons as part of the updates.

These drivers are "Nvidia nForce Audio" they cover everything from speakers, to line in and line out.

I have sound and they seem to work fine...

So whats up with these drivers?

Are they a replacement to Realteks drivers and just as good, or just a generic windows driver and I would be best off taking them off and trying to use the drivers specific to my onboard?