Vista x64 + CRT Refresh Rate Override

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by Sagus, May 19, 2009.

1. Sagus

Sagus Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 TRI-X OC
    I'm not sure if the low-level DX9 overrides are supposed to work in that OS, but is there a trick to forcing them through RivaTuner? I've tried all four available override modes, but none of them were successful.

I'm trying to force four resolutions/refresh rates:
    1280x960 - 120Hz
    1280x1024 - 120Hz
    1600x1200 - 100Hz
    1920x1440 - 90Hz

All of them are supported and were tested on my monitor, naturally. They also work on the desktop. Just not in the majority of games - no matter what I've tried, so far (there are a few games that assume the refresh rate of the desktop if their resolutions are the same - i.e. no resolution change on game start).

If it's not supposed to work, would you, Unwinder, be willing to try and tackle it?

Drivers: 182.06 WHQL
    RivaTuner: 2.24

PS: Also tried Refresh Rate Patcher and RefreshLock - to no avail.
    PPS: There's another possible reason to the problem - there are no official x64 drivers for my monitor. I've made one through RivaTuner, but I'm not sure how accurate is the info EDID provided it.

2. DeeZaster

DeeZaster Member

GPU:
    Giga$h!']['E 660ti OC 2gb
    Hey,

Refresh Rate Patcher and RefreshLock and useless with Vista and Win7. I have had success mainly with the injection mode (compatibility seems to work almost as well too) but the driver usually always has to be supported by Rivatuner (if you get a popup on reboot that this driver hasn't been tested with Rivatuner after a new video driver install, chances are its going to fail).

[​IMG]

I used to use the above info to set my NEC FE990 to 85Hz anytime a resolution would fall equal to or between 1024x768 to 1280x1024 (these were the settings from last year when I was mainly concerned with getting 60Hz lock to go away). This worked great when I had the CRT (LCD now) and when it was supported by Rivatuner. For best results in your situation I would make a profile for each resolution you want to lock down, and make sure its exact. Then set the "Refresh rate (Hz) match criteria" at 60Hz on the left and 10Hz lower than what you want to achieve on the right box. Again doing this for each resolution. The other boxes are obvious on what to enter so I don't need to explain.

I have made a discovery with the 60Hz lock on CRT monitors awhile ago and made a post about it, as this might be what your problem is (one of the two I've mentioned now at least). You can find the post here:

Take Me There

Hope that helps some.

3. Sagus

Sagus Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 TRI-X OC
    Alas, that didn't work. Thanks for the effort, though, I appreciate it.
    1) Yep, 182.06 are supported by RT v2.24.
    2) Nope, an "anti-60Hz" profile doesn't work. Also tried 60-85 and 50-110.
    3) Strangely enough, that Nvidia setting in the Advanced Power Options is absent (the drivers are official and untampered): >screenshot<

I do have a theory, though. It would seem that there are standard system settings for resolutions/frequencies hidden somewhere (couldn't find anything that'd work in the registry) that limit allowable frequencies to 60-85Hz.
    For instance, there are games that allow a choice of refresh rates, and while anything within 60-85Hz works, trying to set it to something higher achieves nothing - the games simply reset to frequencies within above constraints (60-85Hz) - usually, to 60Hz.
    Moreover, there was one occurance where I did something (woe is me, I have no idea what) to add 1280x1024x120Hz to those standard settings (it's not Control Panel's "custom resolutions"). It even worked for awhile, and I could pick it in games, but then I tried using RT's "Custom display modes / refresh rates wizard" - which borked all the resolutions - and I had to reinstall the drivers. After that, the above miraculous occurance was gone, again. It's almost tragic enough to tell the kids by the fire.
    All in all, there does seem to be a solution somewhere, - just noone to make something of it. *sigh*