Vista x64 and Gaming Soundcard: What good options are there?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Felix, May 18, 2009.

1. Felix

Felix Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 280X
    Hello, I want to unload the audio processing out of my CPU, I have been using the Onboard audio ever since I moved to Vista when it was released, because, quite simply, the Audigy Player card I had was giving me problems

But now that Creative seems to have settled with Vista, and that there are others options out there, I would like to know which card is the best in terms of price/performance in terms of Gaming/Video

2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Auzentech Prelude or Forte are the best for gaming if you are interested in hardware accelerated EAX/OpenAL gaming effects.

3. Felix

Felix Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 280X
    I have heard great things about the Prelude
    Are their drivers good and in terms of price/performance, is it a good buy?

I'm not much of an Audiophile, although I do like my audio quality to be high as most of my audio library is FLAC :D

4. salanos

salanos Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX980 4GB (Ref.)
    Using my ASUS XONAR DX on Vista x64 and everything's sweet.

5. RockMarc

RockMarc Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 275
    I think the X-Fi Exreme Gamer is the best bang for the buck! Unfortunatly you're gonna support Creative by buying it ....:(

6. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216

For gaming the Prelude will surpass anything Creative has out there. Of
    course the card is a little pricier because of the better design and higher end components.

7. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295
    im an owner of asus xoanr avhd 1,3 deluxe and i confirme that works bugfree and speed on vista64!

8. Felix

Felix Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 280X
    Do you guys think the Xtreme Gamer is a good value?
    I really didn't want to spend much yet on a Sound card

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    its a good card for the money. i have it in my other rig. DONT CONFUSE IT WITH THE XFI XTREME AUDIO. that card is crap

10. Felix

Felix Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 280X
    Yes I was confused with the Xtreme Audio and Music
    Apparently, the Xtreme Audio is crap but the Xtreme Music is a bit better than the Gamer right?

11. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    the Music and the gamer is the same minus for some minor diffents.

12. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    When the X-Music was discontinued they released the X-Gamer to take it's place.

13. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    Prelude vs Xonar D2X vs Essence?

which is best for gaming?

Looking to replace my stupid overpriced AC-1.

14. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    For gaming, its the X-Fi based card. No contest.

Eth

15. Lethialle

Lethialle Member

GPU:
    EVGA 9800GX2
    I actually have both cards, and I have both vista 32 bit and 64 bit on two different systems.

While Prelude does have have hardware EAX support. There are few things that I think are worth mentioning:

Prelude 7.1:
    - On my vista 64 bit machine, the mic setting is always messed up. The mic boost need to be checked every time you reboot your PC. Even worse, I have never gotten the mic to work properly with ventrilo. Compared to Xonar Essence the sound recorded by the mic is much quieter, and for no apparent reason my sound will be warped (I sound like I am speaking underwater...)

- It seems to install quite a bit more stuff on my system. Even after cleaning all the Creative drivers using Driver Cleaner, I am still left with 2 Creative services (Licensing service and Alchemy service...)

Xonar STX:
    - No true hardware EAX support.
    - As I have posted elsewhere on this forum, trying to make perfect sense out of all the settings can be a headache inducing process... (Briefly, I couldn't get Dolby Headphone to work if the speaker setting is set to 8 channels or 7.1... As a result I am using 2 Channel sound, which for games like World of Warcraft that doesn't let you specify how many channels you want the game to output to, meant that I get less accurate positional sounds)

Those are my experiences. So YMMV. On my vista 32 bit system, prelude works much better (no mic issue yet).

16. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    When I played wow, I didnt get that issue with dolby headphones, as I have my windows 7 speakers set to 7.1 in the control panel. Then dobly headphone on in my Xonar panel.

17. Lethialle

Lethialle Member

GPU:
    EVGA 9800GX2
    Right, I can select those options, but I will be missing channels if I have both 7.1 and dolby headphone selected.

If you select 8 Channels and check dolby Headphone, do you hear sound from all the speakers coming out of your headphone? I only get front left and front right, and sometimes side right...

18. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    yes, I do hear them all.

19. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295
    i prefere the xonars,true HQ audio...

20. panZEr330

panZEr330 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX280 @666/2333
    Take it from an x-fi owner to stay away from x-fi cards, especially creative. EAX (and I know some of you will disagree) is a gimmick, offering basically a few echo effects, nothing more. I would buy the asus card, lot less confusion - not 19 different models with a nonsensical naming scheme.