Vista Ultimate x64 RAM question

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by AllShallPerish, Feb 21, 2008.

1. I've been messing around a lot with vista to try and use as less memory as possibly, i've applied the blackviper patch for SP1, i've disabled superfetching to see if it would change anything amongst other things but my "problem" persists.

It seems that every time I open something new and it adds to the ram usage, it will never go lower again.

On a fresh boot, my ram is at around 1600-1700mb of use, and right now with pretty much the exact same things opened, it's at 2900-2950mb.

Is there something I am missing here or is this something us Vista ultimate x64 users have to bear with forever?

I still have 1gb that is usually always free so it doesn't cause me any problems but I find it really annoying to see so much ram usage for no reason at all. I thought it was because of superfetch but it's not. Anyone?

2. Lethal Abz

Lethal Abz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470
    To be honest that is really high, I wonder if you have heaps loads of software and services being automatically started. I would investigate that if I were you. Howerver, Vista uses alot of RAM in a good way (why have 4GB ram when you dont wana use all of it?) Vista uses ram better than XP and I have noticed that myself. if you really want to have 1GB used by Vista then sell off the rest of 3GB coz it will be useless to have it lying around.

3. Thing is, i've disabled all the useless serivces and my programs like I said do not use that much memory. I have the same things opened that I have after booting up but the difference is twice the size. I guess i just want to know why exactly there is so much ram being used, it's not really a problem but it is if normally people don't have this issue and I do

Lets say I have 10 programs loading at startup and for the following hour my ram is at 1700mbs of use, now i decide to open a lot of applications or games, and close them, the memory will not go back to what it was before, it will stay the same as if these applications were still running... it's not about me not wanting my ram to be used, i just dont want it to be used for no reasons at all, or I want to understand the reason why it is being used

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2008
  4. Cody-7

Cody-7 Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 260
    The same thing happens to me on Vista 32-bit edition. When Vista boots up it's using only just over 512MB but after running Firefox and a few other programs, I can close them and RAM usage never goes back to 512. I don't worry about it a whole lot however, because I trust that it will re-allocate the RAM for whatever it needs when I open up the next program or 3D app. I never have any trouble "running out" of RAM or anything after I close the apps.

5. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    so next time you launch firefox it wont take for example 10 sec but instantly ;>
    try launching windows mail then close it then re open it 2e time to see if it go's instantly ;>

6. yea it's true stuff loads a lot faster, it's actually a very good thing. I'm just too used to the way XP handled memory and it messed with my mind a little but it's actually logic.

7. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT
    Easiest solution, stop looking at the memory usage in Task Manager and just use the OS.

8. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    If you have RAM - Vista will utilize it. Don't be too concerned. Just enjoy your computer. That being said; you may just want to check for Malware. ;)

9. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    To add to what others are saying... If you load a game or application that would require more RAM than what is showing as free, Vista will release the "used" RAM for that game/application.

10. matty_111

matty_111 Member

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 275
    tried turning off indexing?
    like you, ive been running vista x64 for a few months now & ive been having similar problems however unlike you i only have 2gb of ram & i had like 50mg free if any! I couldnt really multitask at all & when i did it was rediclously sluggish..
    After i disabled indexing theres approximently 700mg free which is pretty good, theres a noticable performance increase but i still need to invest in an extra 2-4gb ram, vista absolutely chews it up!
    I never had a problem with xp, everything was instantaneous.

11. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Yep, it does use up more as it goes on because it dynamically caches applications you've loaded in that session. But, don't worry it frees it up nice and quickly when you load a game. When I run HL2:Ep2 for instance I may be using up around 2GB before playing. Upon exit RAM will have shrunk sometimes to less than 1GB depending largely on how long I played. Even more intensive games like UT3 can have an even large effect. The end result though is that Vista has very good memory management compared to XP.

12. Rammstein

Rammstein Master Guru

GPU:
    2 XFX 8800GT ZALMAN 512MB
    your rigth I have the same issue. I have 4 GB of RAM and its always 30-45% full just by Vista 64bit.

13. FuriousAngel

FuriousAngel Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4700 OC
    And as people said before, that's perfectly normal and even desirable.

14. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    FYI:
    Four gigs of RAM was good; but, now that I have 8 gigs; the system just flies...smooth as butter. Faster loading - faster everything!
    I realize a lot of you think 8gigs is overkill. VISTA LOVES RAM! I only paid $260 - with taxes for 8gigs! :bigsmile:

15. that's crazy. how much is used out of your 8gbs? I'm doubtful it would speed up that much if I upgraded.

16. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    I wasn't going to post and this is going to sound rude but i have to say it anyway.

You obviously do not understand why memory is not released as fast as you would like (read about the memory manager, cache manager, standby lists etc.). Do don't seem to understand why memory is being used and not left empty (that is what it is there for). Last i doubt you really understand the numbers you are looking at (which would be?), or understand how resources are committed and freed as needed.

Please stop looking at your RAM and come back when you have a real issue and not just some numbers you don't like. :)

17. Lethal Abz

Lethal Abz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470
    that was uncalled for

18. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  19. It is going to sound rude but I will have to quote my previous post

I've also said, that I didn't consider it to be really a problem and that I just wanted to understand why it was doing that, so obviously I DIDN'T KNOW and didn't understand, therefore, yes, your post was uncalled for. Thank you for those links anyways

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2008
  20. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    No that was in fact not at all rude. You just confirmed that you know it isn't a problem but more a psychological effect it has on you. To which i replied, stop looking then. ;)

But yes i did miss that post i think so you are right in pointing it out to me. :)