Vista ultimate 64 and XP

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by garrion, May 2, 2008.

1. garrion

garrion Active Member

GPU:
    2 x 8800GTX
    Im about to put on my h/d Vista 64 and i want to then put on XP.....when ive installed vista is there something on that OS that takes me through putting on XP so i can choose when i start my computer?

many thanks
    garrion

2. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    If you already have XP installed leave it as it is and just install Vista from the bootable Vista DVD, it will install as dual-boot automatically and display a choice of OS's every time you boot. You'll have 25 seconds to decide after that time Vista will load by default.

For this you need the full version of Vista x64, not just the upgrade (if one exists). It's preferable to install Vista on a different drive or partition than XP. For example, I have Vista Ultimate x64 on drive C and XP Pro on drive D.

3. garrion

garrion Active Member

GPU:
    2 x 8800GTX
    Its a clean drive..so do i install vista 64 then is there instructions on installing xp?

4. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6950 Unlocked 900/1250
    Install XP first, then vista.

5. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 570
    What he said.

6. garrion

garrion Active Member

GPU:
    2 x 8800GTX
    ok its xp first then ultimate 64

many thanks

7. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    make sure you install xp on a primary partition and vista on logical...i remember when i tried dual boot i installed vista on extended and i no longer had dual boot.

8. OldSnake

OldSnake Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Titan Black SLI
    I am planning on doing basically the same thing. I am getting a new system the next days, which will come with XP Home already installed, most likely on drive C: I assume.

Can I still install a version of Vista and get a dual boot sequence if Vista isn´t on drive C: ???

And which versions of Vista do support the dual boot sequence - can I install any version (full version of course) or do only specific versions support dual boot setups ???

What about using some boot manager by the way ? - I heard that there are programms from Acronic which let you install up to 20 OS ´s on a system - is there any need for such programms or does Vista do all I need to have XP and Vista running on my system ?

9. Jordus

Jordus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon X800 PRO / Stock
    Oldsnake, you will be fine.

Install vista to a different volume and it will pick up that XP is there, configure the boot loader right and you will be off running.

Any version will dual boot.