Vista the last of the Windows chain?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Kow, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Kow

Kow Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 5850
    Yep its called X11 and in fact it has been around as long, if not longer than Windows. The whole Windows+tab idea in Vista was originally seen as an X11 extension. Apple copied it and now Microsoft decided to copy the copier. I might have the order slightly mixed up, ie X11 may have copied it from Apple's OS... but regardless Microsoft copied the copiers. :)

2. meatfestival92

meatfestival92 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 9800 GTX @ 815/2078/1180
    By the time Vista comes to the end of its life cycle, technology will be very different. I can definitely see the need for a completely network based OS since almost everyone will probably have super high speed broadband or fibre optic connections.

3. Kow

Kow Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 5850
    I was thinking of an OS on a flash drive that you can carry with you wherever you go and is compatible with any PC. Just plug in the flash drive and boot to your OS... Right now its half possible, but the way Windows handles CPU instructions (the Hardware Abstraction Layer) limits the computers it would work on.

As for the size of flash drives... well we're already at 2gb. Speed and size in the technology world tends to increase exponentially, so a 16gb flash drive cannot be that far off.

4. Food

Food Banned

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTX 768MB
    HAHAHA :D so much people copying it is getting confusing.
    in fact now i remembered a joke :

"a guy enters the room of his friend who is listening to an empty tape and asks him... WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO?

the guy answered : I am listening to an empty tape so i can relax my body..

so his friend said: WHY DON'T YOU GIVE ME THE TAPE SO I CAN RECORD IT?"
    :D rofl

regardless i think i understood what you meant and you are right. ;)

5. Daimerous

Daimerous Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS on 2 SyncMaster 205BWS
    Sorry to burst your bubble but we have had 16gb flash drives for a little bit now and there are now 32gb ones. Just read this http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/03/21/32gb_ssd_samsung/.

And MS does have the brains to start from scratch. I am not a MS fan boy, but give them some credit. People are always harping on MS for their OS's they make, but they have to be doing something right if they control 95% of the market. And if people don't like it then why don't they make their own. No one is stopping them. You can do like the others and steal your ideas and call it your own(MS and MAC did that all the time, just look at GUI). Yah there are problems with Vista, just like any other OS out there..that;s why there are patches for them. Its easier to find them on MS's because the more people that use it the more problems can be found. When Vista is released, it will be like the last beta test. There is no way MS can test for every piece of hardware out there, but they can when they release it to public. Its the ultimate beta test. Thats why there will be patches within the first week. Bill Gates is a smart man, whether he steals his ideas and gets away with it, or if he comes up with them on his own (yes he can do that because if you know the history of Bill Gates you would know that he was a very smart programmer/hacker in his early teens).
    MS will always have its OS, whether it has the Windows name or not.

just saw this today: http://www.trustedreviews.com/storage/news/2005/03/24/How-about-a-128GB-Solid-State-HDD/p1
    Can you say OMG!!!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  6. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    Linux is not so user unfriendly if you buy it already fully configured from an OEM.
    The main reason why the market is saturated with Windows so much is because of all the people buying Dell, HP, Compaq and other "brandnames" that automaticaly come with Windows (and usually Office) preinstalled. The enthusiast market of home PC builders + home PC "admins" is actually extremely small.
    If people were at least a little curious and tried a fully configured Linux machines running Windows like configured KDE + OpenOffice + all multimedia codecs, they would probably liked the ease of use (and the free price!) of the more stable alternative to Micro$hafts $hitware... ;)

7. simonknight

simonknight Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7800GS OC AGP
    I'm still waiting for the motion sensing GUI. Just give two gloves that allow you grab, drop, etc.. by using your hands. Hell, they could get rid of keyboards too by having the gloves able to sense how you are typing and showing the virtual keyboard on screen so you get a graphical representation of how you are typing for those that cannot touch type. I don't think it's that far off, or maybe I've just read to much William Gibson in my lifetime.

8. dfwny

dfwny Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX280 SSC Ed. 1GB
    ... I think the future is chips patched into the ultimate operating system, your brain, with direct optic nerve feed. Of course, Microsoft will make the interface software, and you will have to reboot yourself about once every week or so, but that can be accomplished while you sleep. Hmm... wonder what the blue screen of death will look like in 2060????

9. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Hey guys............i am curious to why Vista doesnt scale down images (for wallpapers) to the resolution you are using. For example when i get a 1600x1200 wallpaper and put it on a 1280x1024 desktop resolution the image becomes pixelated.....i mean wtf....does anyone know the answer to this

10. Armoured

Armoured Ancient Guru

i remember microsoft saying that there will no longer be a long 5 year wait between operating systems, meaning that we will see a new OS from microsoft within four years after Vista is released. who knows what it might be like.

11. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    It proves that they have concluded that cosmetic changes (eye candy) and bloat (tons of apps that you get by default even if you don't plan on using them) and exclusive features that force people to upgrade ("DX11 will work only on Vista 2!") is all people want, and they are so easy to implement, they can actually shorten their deadlines. :)

By the way, there is no way in hell i will allow Microsoft to connect to my brain. That would be equal to suicide...! :D

12. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    Saying that this will be Microsoft's last OS is like saying that this is as far as technology will take us.

The last OS? No such thing.

13. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    That sounds like a very miniscule problem that Vista should have nothing to do with. I'm assuming attributed to being a beta copy? Which version do you have?