Vista the last of the Windows chain?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Kow, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Kow

Kow Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 5850
    Noticed an interesting article:

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13129-2494732,00.html

Looks like Vista will be the last of the "Windows" era. With GoogleOS nearing completion I can not even imagine what the next OS' will look like. I'm assuming they will rely on the internet a lot more, which to me seems like a major risk factor. Internet connection goes down... OS doesnt work? That would suck and I would be mad. Oh well we'll see what happens.

I do give Google a lot of credit though, Microsoft needed a good challenger and obviously Apple wasn't doing it. Now with Google kicking things into overdrive and Firefox taking off... this might serve consumers like us quite well. :)

2. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Never happen.

Will always be an OS, it may change a bit (eg. Be built into the motherboard as a chip that cant' be modified, then hard drives just used for Data). But there will always be some type of OS.

3. Kow

Kow Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 5850
    The article (and I) did not say it will be the end of OS's. The article just stated that Microsoft executives are thinking this will be the last "Windows" OS. OS's can be much different then windows-based. I just cannot imagine what brilliant idea someone will come up with that will change OS's forever. We had command line, then windows-based... and in the future...?

I do think Windows is over though, one can only take it so far. Just look at the differences between Vista, XP, 2000, 98. They're so similar. Basically the only differences (that appear to the user) is the eye candy. Obviously, a lot changed in the background but the normal user wont recognize that. I think Windows Live shows that Microsoft is already shifting to start battling it out with Google.

4. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra
    I think the future will be all subscription based. You'll pay for such and such usage, and once your usage limit is up, you'll have to pay again.

Why do I say that?

MMORPGs are like that.
    Antivirus (Norton & MacAfee) is like that.
    Even a few non-MMORPGs are on their way to becoming like that (Half Life 2).
    Vista was going to be more like that with their (only one reactivation allowed thing). At least the protesting from the enthusiast crowd (a small but very vocal crowd) convinced M$ not to do that, however, I can see future OSes from M$ getting to where you'll pay for a year or two of usage. Once that runs out, you'll have to buy another subscription.

5. UG_PL

UG_PL Banned

GPU:
    Asus HD3850 512MB @ 770Mhz/925Mhz
    The same thing with sony " PS3 is the last one" sure......

6. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    That's the main reason why I've decided not to get Vista. Five bucks says they'll remove that rule for Vista Ultimate. Only $400!

Apple has an interesting sense of humor.
    http://static.flickr.com/74/207241438_7c0f89412d_b.jpg

7. darknight909

darknight909 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080
    I doubt this will be Microsoft's last OS. It just sounds like it wont be called Windows "SOmething"

To much money to be made in operating systems I doubt they would drop out

8. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    hehe thats a nice ad. Though i would love to see a Mac OS Leopard for regular PC's with all the games supported (hey i can dream can i :D)

Maybe the M$ will drop the name "Windows" and will come up with some other one but it still might look like other OSes.

9. Dusk Horizon

Dusk Horizon New Member

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC WaterCooled
    I think its time for 'Doors'!

10. Food

Food Banned

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTX 768MB
    one thing is for sure, i can see LINUX taking over Micro$oft and being the de-facto OS for all pc's to come. microsoft with their next OS after Vista will be the final stone on their grave. :coffee2:

11. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Linux is not a particularly user friendly OS. It's more for the enthusiast crowd. I can't see it becoming a de facto OS unless they make some major changes to the kernel.

Mac OS is certainly becoming more popular though. If they could only make it better for gaming, or port it to PC hardware, we'd be set.

Windows Vista is just like lipstick on a pig IMO. All flash and glam but it doesn't seem to really add much over XP. Quite the opposite as a lot of people would argue. Vista will sell well to the general user crowd (thanks to supermarket computer makers) but will do poorly with businesses and enthusiasts.

@ Food
    Is that Bush eating a kitten? It's a good idea to say out of those shady Chinese restaurants.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  12. Daimerous

Daimerous Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS on 2 SyncMaster 205BWS
    Microsoft will always have an OS. They make way too much money off that. But, to have the creator of Lotus Notes take over....head for the hills. If you think Windows has problems now, just wait till he starts getting his hands into things. triple the crash rate with half the stuff in it. Lotus Notes, how crappy is that. One of the worst office mail clients ever made. Bill is wise to step out now, but to put that guy in charge...he must be going senile. Linux doesn't have to take over Microsoft because Vista is built from linux, so it is part of MS already. Just give vista time. It will be a good OS when the kinks get worked out. XP was a crapy OS too, until it was fixed (still is bad, but what are your alternatives...). Really, if we didn't have windows we would have linux and mac. God help us if it comes to those two. I would probably go to Lindows or Linspire instead.

13. darknight909

darknight909 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080
    You guys have to know Windows still holds about 95% of the OS market

and like orenda said linux isnt user friendly

those 95% of people that use windows just want something that works and does it easily

they dont want to be searching the internet for missing libraries just to install something

and having to go through extra steps during the install to get the GUI to boot instead of it going straight to the command line

14. Kow

Kow Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 5850
    You guys are acting like Windows IS the OS. No, its just a certain type of OS. What that article is suggesting is that Vista will be the last of Microsoft's Windows OS. Microsoft will release a new OS in the future, but it probably wont be a continuation of the Windows series. As for what this possible new OS could look like, well I have no idea.... your imagination is as good as mine. All of the MS Windows OS's started with the same framework.. ie the kernel. Windows 95/98/ME had its own kernel. 2000, XP and Vista were a continuation of the NT kernel first introduced in Windows NT4. Both kernels are similar but not the same. Vista at the hardware interaction level is the same as XP, as is the same as 2000 (the kernel!). The difference comes in "user-space" meaning interactions not involving the hardware directly. Originally Windows 95 was meant for a "normal user", while NT was meant for networking. But, since then everything has revolved around networking (the internet) which is probably why the 95/98/ME kernel was discontinued and the NT kernel took over. Basically the NT kernel has added networking support that the 95 kernel did not.
    The end of the Windows chain can mean anything and your guess is as good as mine. Basically I think Microsoft is suggesting that they are going to be starting/have started from the ground up.

15. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Microsoft don't have the brains to start from scratch, they'd just screw up all the things they've fixed over the years.

They don't recreate, they add, and they add, and they keep adding more and more crap onto whatever they have now.

16. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    ^^^^^
    Sad but so true........lets hope there are some good tweaks for Vista to optimize it from its extra junk

17. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    well once vista is released and if they don;t release or get directx 10 (some people working on it) on Previous OS's like Windows XP and 2k3 then My gaming with PC will end (not be upgraded anymore) I have used vista and see no need besides DX10 games being made for MS cause

18. Unstable_Hero

Unstable_Hero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    Since vista is going 3d, I think the next os will be true 3d. So when you look at it, its no longer like looking though a window. Hence why they will drop the windows name. Maybe something like Microsoft matrix?

Anyways theres a big shift going on about visuals and user interaction in OSes, so thats going to change alot after vista.

19. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    If enough enthusiasts refuse to buy Vista, maybe we can force them to release DX10 of XP. The majority of non-enthusiasts play games on consoles anyway so what would Microsoft be loosing?

The only reason Microsoft gets away with crap is because people let them.

20. Food

Food Banned

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTX 768MB
    out f topic:

proof that anything can be used as Food. :D boy was he hungry.
    agreed on the chinese restaurants thing, also recommended to avoid any restaurant in Congo... you don't wanna have a monkey skull in your dish. :p

back to topic:

i think in the next few years (plenty of time) Linux kernel will see a major overhaul and be a serious competitor to other OS and it ain't that hard because some versions of Linux already have some "windows" style gui and it isn't half bad, sure it can be complicated to install drivers and or configure some things especially if you never used it before, but time makes perfect. ;)

the Apple got real potential to kick major a$$ if given the chance, it is getting better but still no match for the gaming potential of the PC and if it is anything like this i don't want it!

[​IMG]

Maybe the future will be made of consoles that can do all that the pc does and still provide better gaming? while the pc will be exclusive to business and corporates?

bloody hell why do i get a bad feeling...:rolleyes: