Vista start menu bug confirmed

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by gdeliana, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Andrés

Andrés Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
    I use the old start menu, can't get used to the newer one. And I don't experience lags. I have around 10 programs installed.

By the way... who needs hundreds of programs???. I'm curious. Of course they must have a function and a reason to be installed but I just can't imagine that many unless some do redundant functions.

2. MountainLynx

MountainLynx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570M 3GB
    Vista Home Premium SP1 32-bit with 2GB @ 1066. No lag. Only having 2GB of RAM is clearly not the problem. Do you have the indexing service on or off?

3. MrBozack

MrBozack Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7850OC Windforce
    Same. Plus I don't have any "start menu lag" on any of my other Vista installs.

4. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    If the guy posts again without linking his source, a mod could just go ahead and close this thread.

It's been two years since it's out, I've seen it on hundreds of computers (and I do mean hundredS)

And I have yet to see that start menu lag that you are talking about

5. Norvekh

Norvekh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    I have a rather lengthy list of programs installed and I've not seen this on any of my installs. Even my old 3GHz s478 P4 system does just fine in Vista. Like said, click "All Programs" and it's instantly there as are any subchoices that I click. Instant. Though, I tend not to use it except for things I don't have on Rocket Dock.

6. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
  7. gdeliana

gdeliana Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5570 512 GDDR5
    Well well well.... I don't care if u close the thread or not. Of course that it's not my forum. But anyway i don't care. The fact that to meeeee happens is a fact and nobody changes it. Ofcourse i'm not gonna praise Microsoft for this great piece of software. First because i payed a great sum of money for it, and when i saw such a silly problem, i felt maybe the silliest person in the world for paying the money. OK??? Abd second i'm not gonna praise Microsoft because afterall who am i??

Topic closed by myself!! Bye

8. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    ignore profits, just cause he hasnt seen it in his linear and lmited experiences...rather arrogant statement i dont care how many pc's anyone builds

wether its its vista itself or a relation to something else like a driver, i dont think anyone will find a cure less they can reproduce it specifically.

so if it happens directly after a fresh install before installing any drivers, i would first reset the bios and do a memory lengthy memory test.
    i'd then move the memory from slots A to slots B or swap the memory sticks around. sounds odd but it can solve alot of oddball problems and go from there

9. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    theres no lag unless you have 1gb or less installed (just a guess)

10. Jordus

Jordus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon X800 PRO / Stock
    another tard.

11. theworldisover

theworldisover Maha Guru

GPU:
    Msi 960 gamer 2gb
    i have this problem to. it always annoys me but i thought it was just vista or i'm imagining things.

in the start menu when i click something in the all programs folder it would take a couple seconds to open the folder and lag out. i hate it.

i disabled show newly highlighted items and it's super fast now.....weird?

thank's for the tip lol.

12. Meroth

Meroth Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 8800 GT
    If you feel silly for paying money on something that is not 100% perfect, I suggest you never ever buy anything again, you'll always feel silly. People are not perfect, and nothing made by people will be perfect. Then again, if you feel this bug is so huge that Vista should not be sold at all, then the problem is not at MS's side (especially since there's such an easy workaround).

Oh, and should I add, that I never saw the bug either? Nah... I believe you saw it, but you gotta admit, it's very rare, and might be hardware or third party software related.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  13. MoosePower

MoosePower Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    +1 for objectdock!

14. Joey

Joey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    I've not got any lag problems. Could it be that those with the problem have indexing disabled? That would make sense as the start menu uses the indexing service to populate itself.

One thing that really really really pisses me off about Vista is the fact that every time I open the control panel it's a different size.. and it never remembers itself properly so you have to resize the window or scroll. The system properties and some other windows do this as well.. ****ing annoying.

15. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    OR the way that it works could be that every time you open the programs menu, it polls all the entries to see when they were last used, it might even use the registry, so yeah, that's a lot of hard drive limited behaviour.

Now, I've said it before and I'll say it again, onboard RAID is not good, for starters, it uses your cpu to calculate everything, and normal cpus are not designed as RAID controllers, secondly, nvidia (who makes you mobo) is not a company that is known for its knowledge in the field of hard drives and RAID.

Lots of small reads like this are not really benefited by striping, since a lot of the data is likely to be on the same hard drive.