Vista SP1 RTM and Latest ForceWare Drivers?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by madlax, Feb 7, 2008.

1. madlax

madlax Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GX-295N-HWFC
    As everyone may know, Vista SP1 RTM has been leaked to the web. Anyone got any benches for 169.32, 169.38 and 171.16 using it? Anything changed from the Release Candidates?

2. wasteomind

wasteomind Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
    I've got a ton using the latest RC refresh, but not the RTM. I doubt anything changed.

http://incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=18778

3. madlax

madlax Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GX-295N-HWFC
    From what I've heard, Vista SP1 RTM haven't changed a bit from the latest Refresh release... That's a disappointment. I guess we'll still keep seeing Vista with sub-xp performance for quite some time. :biggun:

4. Darcon

Darcon Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX @ 630/2000
    0/10

5. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    lol. first time i've seen someone rate a post.

but yeah...... tired of the vista performance bashing posts. you lose a frame here and there. WHOOPIE!!! it's not like the performance difference between Vista and XP is like the performance difference between a Bugatti Veyron and a VW Golf. More like a comparison between maybe McDonalds and Burger King. 90% of the same sh*t.... just served to you in a different manner. Or if you prefer another car reference..... maybe a Mustang vs. a GTO. and i'm talking current day crap-ified to high hell Mustangs and GTO's...... not way back when, when it was rare to see a Mustang, and GTO's made you drool. All the newer classic-gone-current muscle cars suck. for one, everyone and their mom has one, and two, they seem to lack the oomf they used to have. At least my parents '01 Trans Am is not very common and can still kick a**.

......sorry...... kinda went off on a car rant there. ....... stupid vista performance related post making my mind go askew.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  6. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    they may have fix some bugs but they fhinish the build and put it as RTM for company's like dell and hp to ship it with there comupters.

7. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    I'm running the RTM what we installed last week in the beta program. tbh i wouldn't want to bench anything atm. till there is word about if and when we are officially getting the service pack. But not had any problems at all yet. they are stilll testing the service pack

8. madlax

madlax Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GX-295N-HWFC
    If Burger King and MacDonalds are the same thing, that's exactly the disappointment I'm talking about. We waited years for a new OS and Vista just doesn't deliver anything new or that at least makes your system perform... BETTER?

At any rate, I didn't mean to offend Vista users, I've been running Vista every version since beta 1, the rant was pointed at Microsoft for letting me down with Service Pack 1 again...

9. Alcyone

Alcyone Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ENGTX280 1GB
    New OS, new features -> slower OS. Seems to be like games. New games look better than old games and thus require better parts to run nicely. I didn't expect Vista perform any better than XP when I switched about a year ago. I expected UI refresh with lotsa nice features, like system restore which actually works, and I got 'em. Bonus is that I can play DX10 games. Clearly a win-situation. Vista runs very very nice without any damn service packs as it is now.

10. madlax

madlax Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GX-295N-HWFC
    I always turn off a UI with bells and whistles, but we can have Aero in XP with WindowsBlinds as well. DX10 games are the main reason I play with XP. Looking at stuff like Gears of War and Halo 2 (definately not DX10) in Vista that doesn't make anything different (GOW turns AA on/off, how cheap is that?). Crysis can use a DX10 renderer but that doesn't look much better and, with the latest Ultra High Quality configs, Vista Very High settings are put to shame. That leaves XP a much better option to get a definately higher framerate.

All in all, Vista's value lies in better security (even though I still rely on 3rd party software) and some features that actually work better like System Restore. But what do I get? I have a piece of software that's almost the same as XP and not even a handful of games that actually perform or look better in Vista.

I was looking forward SP1 so much because I thought this would be the right time to upgrade but after testing it a lot, I guess I'm still keeping XP as my main OS for at least another six months.

11. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    again..... complaining about just about nothing but gaming performance, even though the framerate loss is negligible for most games due to the fact that they run at 50fps+ (Crysis being just about the ONLY exception, even though it's still smooth around the mid 20's). Most games even seem smoother in Vista than XP even with a slightly lower framerate.... but i forgot.... those 4 extra frames matter.

And...... you really think that since tweaking the DX9 configs makes Crysis look SOOOO good, that it won't be possible to do the same thing for DX10 to the point where it'd put those DX9 configs to shame? why do you think people haven't tweaked them more? because you can't get it to look much better than it currently does without losing a ton of frames in both DX9 and DX10.

It's just like Alcyon said. New OS, new UI..... wouldn't really expect it to run faster than XP from the start, or even possibly ever. You don't like the UI? fine.... stick with XP. But if you ask most people, the performance difference isn't significant enough to sway most people in XP's direction. Most people use Vista because not only do they like the way it looks, performs, and is laid out..... but because that slight loss of framerate in games that you can't help but mention isn't noticable.

12. ragtag

ragtag Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 980 SLI
    Hear, hear!
    Personally i'm after stability and if the price is a 4-5fps loss i dont give a flying f...and i gotta say Vista is the best OS i have ever runned. The only thing bugging me these days has been the nvidia stopped working thingy in world in conflict. But, well, whadda ya know, its gone after i installed SP1 RTM :D
    I rest my face ;)

13. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    Only problems i have with vista, and its just vista64 is that i can use my Thumb drives, tells me it needs a driver and lexar does not have a driver.
    Other then that, i wont ever go back to XP.
    I do have 2 PCs that still run XP, only because they are so old Vista wont run on them.

14. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    That's what he said he is doing. Why are your knickers in a twist? He explained exactly what he wanted and what he found in Vista as sub-standard and why he was going to stick with XP. I don't know what you want from him apart from to share your exact view. That's not really fair. People are different, we aren't all ElementalDragon and we are going to have differing views on many things.

The only thing that ticks me off more than someone who forms an opinion of a product they have never tested is a person that slags off someone who has formed an opinion on a product, after they have tested it, that differs from their own.

15. madlax

madlax Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GX-295N-HWFC
    That's my point. I've been running Vista for ages but I did expect more.

About the GUI, everyone can disable Vista Aero and stick to a Windows Classic alike UI. I just meant that the UI didn't mean much to me. If a OS can't deliver much in terms of new features, I guess it is to be expected that it least it makes your software (games, yes, I am gamer) run actually better.

Again, I don't hate Vista, and I really believe it'll become a much more mature system by Service Pack 2, kinda like what happened with XP.

16. Louike

Louike Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 1gb
    i didn't get any 3d performance increase, all i got was grey instead of black video's in Media Center... (like 35% to much brightness) so i reverted back to base Vista.

17. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    nutyo: i don't even know why i threw that in there, seeing as he seems to rather have a UI that seems like maybe 3.1 than anything. But i can't stand that he's judging the entire OS by the fact that he loses a few frames in games. If you ask me.... and apparently others...... that's not why you should use an OS.

stuff like that just irritates me. "Vista is XP with lesser performance." "Gaming sucks on Vista"..... we've heard it all before...... and honestly, those of us that realized that the performance drop is negligible, don't even care about it. it's the select few that nitpick over every single frame who can't seem to get a grip on the OS and bash it for all they're worth.

18. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    For the most part vista sp1 has not effected the performance; however, has corrected flaws within the os. From reviews the xp sp3 however, has introduced about 10% performance.

19. biglonglenthman

biglonglenthman Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Extreme 8800GTX 621/2160

I have to say your car rant fits in just nicely lmao, i liked it :p

I look forward to seing some more comparisions, true about Mc D n Burger King 90% of the same ****t and well it tastes like ****t n all :p

20. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    yeah. lately, depending where i work (which i usually only work there 1 day of the week, if at all) i've been eating Arby's for lunch. surprisingly it doesn't give me a seriously upset stomach. usually get the Crispy Chicken Bacon n' Swiss w/ Medium curly fries... then run to the Starbucks Cafe easily within walking distance for a shaken iced tea lemonade. kinda like i'm trying to balance my severely somewhat unhealthy lunch with a semi-healthy drink mixed in with the fact that i hardly eat anything throughout the day.