Vista SP1 RC

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Exostenza, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    I see it is available publicly on the MS website. I want to know who has installed this and what benefits does it bring? Should I get the RC now or wait for the final? I;m on Vista Home Premium X64 btw.

2. Jeremy

Jeremy Guest

GPU:
    -
    I am using Vista 64bit Ultimate with SP1 installed and it's running fine. It doesn't bring any noticeable benefits for me and I have noticed I have a few more errors so I will see how it goes. But it's nothing better for me so far.

3. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    Pretty weak to hear. I guess I can't expect too much from the first service pack...

Maybe I'll hold off.

4. Jeremy

Jeremy Guest

GPU:
    -
    Personally I think it's more aimed at improvements on things we don't see such as services, connections, networks, databases etc. There are no new additions from what I have seen as well.

5. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    I see. Well just as long as thing go quicker and with less hiccups with the service pack I'll be happy.

6. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    There were quite a few improvements. Didn't really notice as much till I deleted RC1 the other day. A few things i noticed....

1) Faster Boot times
    2) Faster Shut Down times.
    3) Transferring of files, Huge Improvement!!!!
    4) System just felt more responsive across the board...

Plus so more more to mention..... i deleted, well, because my version was just about up... I could re-download again, yet I hear from my MS sources that it will be out very soon, so i just may hold off.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  7. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    hope it be out soon cant wait and sp1 basicly expires soon

8. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    I installed SP1 RC (Vista Ultimate 64) a few weeks ago on the rig mentioned to the left and i love the performance increase. Vista seems more responsive now and less of a resource hog.

I'd say install it, because nothing can go wrong. Please note that this RC is valid till the end of june 2008. After that it will uninstall itself (in case MS postponed the final again) or install the final SP1.

9. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    Just installed. I'll report back later.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  10. Lahomer

Lahomer Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX280 SLI 680/1463/1215
    Tested it on my test rig, seems to work fine less harddisk usage and some great performance increase. Can't wait for the final release.

11. LifeForce

LifeForce Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 Ultra SLI
    Well I think it may be sooner rather than later.

I had reformatted Vista last night and was having issues using Windows Update.

Came on this morning and a bunch of new updates were avaliable published as of the 8th (yesterday). One of them being one of the pre-req hotfixes in order to install SP1, which had never appeared on update for me before.

EDIT: Also one of the application compatibility hotfixes was republished today and part of my updates. Might be worth a look.