Vista OEM to 7 OEM

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Loki91, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Loki91

Loki91 Maha Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA 8800GTS 512MB @670
    Hey gurus!

Been lurking for a bit :)dead:, I know), but I come back with a question I would appreciate some help with.

Currently running Vista Ultimate 64-bit OEM, and I'm looking to change over the Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, OEM if possible.

Problem is, from what I know of OEM Windows, they tend to cast voodoo magic on one's motherboard, to link it to that installation of Windows, or something to that degree (clarification, please?). Will that cause for a bumpy ride in terms of moving from Vista to 7 (OEM to OEM)? I'm looking to reformat my current HDD, install 7 afresh if possible. (And grab a Q9550 and maybe an HD58_0 while I'm at it. :roll:)

Thanks in advance, guys.

2. Mr_Alexander

Mr_Alexander Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780ti
    I did what you are planning to do yesterday evening. From Vista 64 OEM to 7 64 OEM. i did format HD. It was nice and painless. The best part was that it was so fast becuase DVD with 7 is almost up todate. I remember installing VISTA it took all night to install all those updates SP1 SP2 etc.

3. Famous627

Famous627 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 760
    I think the voodoo magic is cast on your OEM copy of vista in that you technically can't use it with another motherboard/computer. I've had to call MS to reactivate my OEM copy just for disabling onboard sound and network.

You will be fine upgrading to 7 with your current hardware.

4. Loki91

Loki91 Maha Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA 8800GTS 512MB @670
    So format HDD, install OEM 7 like Vista never existed?

So I take it the OEM+motherboard affair is purely preventative of moving Windows machine-to-machine? Nothing against Windows-to-Windows on the one machine?

5. Mr_Alexander

Mr_Alexander Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780ti
    Yeah just plain and simple. Format and install no question were asked during the process about anything.

6. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Yes. That'll work.
    Nope.
    Not necessarily. I've been using Vista HP x64 OEM and was able to activate it on two completely different PCs without a problem (of course it was only used/activated on one PC at a time though). Even in case it won't activate you can call them and if you're convincingly enough :)nerd:) they'll give you a new activation code for the new PC you're trying to use it on.