Vista frequently asked questions

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Animatrix, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Vista frequently asked questions

I'll try to keep the the thread updated and added more stuff along the way. Do contribute with anything you have, questions and comments are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything that needs correction.

Part 1

Which edition of Vista should i get ?
    32-bit or 64-bit ?
    Microsoft Windows 64-bit: Devices, drivers and software
    Can i upgrade to Vista ?
    What is OEM and can i buy a OEM version of Windows ?
    Licensing, Activation/Re-activation and Hardware Tolerance
    Windows Vista Service Pack 1
    Will all my stuff work under Vista ?
    Should i get it right now ?
    So far ?

Part 2

The overview:
    A look at some new features and core changes:
    SuperFetch, ReadyBoost and ReadyDrive:
    BitLocker:
    UAC: User Account Control:
    More On Security:
    Networking Features:
    Vista Kernel Enhancements
    IT Management, Configuration, Guides
    Event Management:
    Services:
    Administrator account:
    System Restore and Backup:
    Vista, Windows Update:
    The Boot Configuration Data Editor and Dual/Multibooting with Vista:
    Forums, blogs, technical resources and tweaks:
    Hardware: Requirements, Advisories, Vendors and manufacturers:
    Application Compatibility:

Part 3

Vista issues and Troubleshooting:
    Vista configuration list:

Which edition of Vista should i get ?

Check out Paul Thurrott's rundown Windows Vista Review Part 2: Understanding the Vista Product Editions

Most of us are not likely to get a Starter edition on our hands so here is a short rundown from MS (Starter only comes in 32-bit).

"Windows Vista Starter is not available in developed technology markets such as the United States, the European Union, Australia, or Japan. Windows Vista Starter ships on lower-cost computers sold by original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and Microsoft OEM distributors in 139 countries."

This edition is for businesses and not private home users, from MS.

"Windows Vista Enterprise includes all the features available in Windows Vista Business, with additional capabilities designed to help reduce the cost and complexity of deploying and managing corporate PCs. It provides higher levels of data protection, easier application management, and improved standardization for global operations."

The Business edition is for those who aren't interested in the Ultimate edition hubbub (or price), and don't care about getting Media Center, but do want the capabilities found in Pro/Business editions of Windows. The Business edition comes with extra configuration tools such as secpol.msc and gpedit.msc, the Business edition also support 2 physical processors just like XP pro (there are no limits on CPU cores).

The Home Basic edition is indeed basic and is missing many of Vista's new features, including Windows Aero. Without Aero most of the eye candy and some features will be missing. Like Glass effect, Windows Flip 3D and Live Thumbnails. I guess for older PC's and hardware that might be fine, or if you just don't give a damn. In my opinion it's not really worth it, but remember you do have the option of doing a Windows Anytime Upgrade to one of the better versions later on. So maybe if used as a starting point it serve some purpose.

The Home Premium edition is likely what most will end up with. It comes with Media Center and seems to be the best bang for your buck. As it is with all Home versions of Windows, Vista Home Premium lack some of the configuration capabilities found in Pro/Business versions of Windows. The Home edition will only support 1 physical processor, just like XP Home, however all versions of Windows supports an unlimited amount of CPU cores, and that is what really matter at this point in time.

The Ultimate edition as the name implies is the most feature rich. If you want features such as BitLocker, or the still somewhat elusive but exclusive Ultimate Extras (Windows Ultimate Extras Review), then you have to get Ultimate edition. In my opinion one reason for getting Ultimate (besides the fact that your getting all features, obviously), is to get the Pro capabilities found in Business edition as well as getting Media Center. If the price is not scaring you, then i guess this is "the Ultimate edition".

32-bit or 64-bit ?

64-bit Editions of Windows Vista
    A description of the differences between 32-bit versions of Windows Vista and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista

Windows Vista Feature Focus: 64-Bit (x64) Support
    A Closer Look at Windows Vista, Part III: 32-Bit vs. 64-Bit Windows
    Windows x64 - All the Same Yet Very Different, Part 1
    Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit Performance Compared (December 6, 2006)

I won't go into all the pros and cons of 64-bit here. I suggest you read up on the subject, there are plenty of information about 64-bit. There are benefits to running Vista 64-bit beyond just the support for more memory, however i would say that you want to have at least 2GB of RAM as it is slightly more memory demanding then it's x86 counterpart, preferably you should go with 4GB and above to really get to see the difference between x86 and x64.

It is not without (possible major, possible minor) compatibility issues. Most if not all 32-bit software which is compatible with Vista will run under Vista 64-bit, thanks to the WoW64 subsystem. Just remember to look for a 64-bit version of the software anyway, if you have the choice get the 64-bit version. Unfortunately far from all software vendors lists Vista x64 in the system requirements so it might take a trip to the forum or a FAQ on the softwares web site.

A feature of Windows Vista 64-bit is that drivers need to be signed, unsigned drivers will not load. This goes for hardware as well as software using drivers. The enforcement was made in part to make it harder for malware to install drivers but also help identify the owner of code. Kernel Patch Protection (i.e. PatchGuard), is another such change which make some security software not run on x64, like most HIPS and Virtualization base protection like sandboxie. On the other hand it also gives protection against unwanted changes to the kernel.

If you are planning to make the transition to x64 you might want to test running in a 64-bit environment before really committing, test your hardware and software. Plan the test, make sure it won't cause any form of data loss. Before doing anything drastic like formating your drives and killing off the old system, make sure you are happy about everything and have what you need (drivers, software etc.). Consider dual/multi-booting. Virtual machines (VM) like Microsoft's own free Virtual PC is another way to try out a new OS in the safe confine of a virtual machine. It is a nice way to test things but you can not make a really fair assessment of how it will run "live", i.e. installed for real.

So far so good: The reports here on Vista 64-bit have been quite good and my personal experience has be good as well. If nothing else it seems the 64-bit version have just as many (or few) issues as Vista do in general.

Windows Vista Alternate Media

Microsoft Windows 64-bit: Devices, drivers and software

ukgamer.com: Microsoft Windows 64-bit compatibility list
    Windows 64bit Compatibility Guide: Native 64-Bit Software

Planetamd64.com, Planetamd64 application forum
    Extended64.com, Extended64: Driver Database
    Start64.com

Guru3d :Windows 64-Bit needs found here

Can i upgrade to Vista ?

Upgrade Paths from Previous Versions
    Can You Upgrade to Windows Vista?
    Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor (32-bit only)
    Vista "upgrade" drops compliance checking, requires old OS to install
    Vista upgrade clean install limitation workaround

Windows Anytime Upgrade

Windows Anytime Upgrade.
    Windows Anytime Upgrade: Support and FAQ
    Windows Anytime Upgrade Checklist

What is OEM and can i buy a OEM version of Windows ?

OEM stands for "Original Equipment Manufacturer". Buying a OEM version of Windows has long been a "trick" to save a bit of money. They are cheaper then both upgrade versions and obviously retail. Looking at some of the price lists however, it seems that you pay the same for Vista Home Basic whether you upgrade or buy a OEM version. But this may very well differ from country to country.

Retail and upgrade prices
    OEM prices

Strictly speaking OEM versions of Windows are meant for PC vendors, system builders and other Microsoft partners. They are not intended to be install by end users. However anyone can buy a OEM version of Windows and there is nothing illegal about it. You can get them many places selling software online, "companies will keep compliant with Microsoft's rules by bundling OEM versions with a token piece of hardware, like a cable."

"The OEM license for the Windows desktop PC operating system is “tied” to the device on which software is first installed."
    Device or PC refers to the motherboard. CPU, RAM, Hard disk, Network card, Video card, Sound card etc. are all changeable on OEM versions of Windows. Should a change of hardware other then motherboard result in the OS needing reactivation (hardware exchange tolerance) a phone call should still provide you with a new activation code.

Buying OEM versions of Windows Vista: the facts
    MS: It's Okay to Buy Vista OEM Software
    When upgrading a PC, when do I need a new OEM Windows license?

Licensing, Activation/Re-activation and Hardware Tolerance

Activating Windows Vista
    Vista license terms
    Microsoft Licensing FAQs

Vista hardware exchange tolerance (google translate)
    Vista's hardware tolerance: one significant change before support remediation

Windows Vista Service Pack 1

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Standalone 5 languages: English, French, Spanish, German, and Japanese

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Five Language Standalone (KB936330)

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Five Language Standalone for x64-based Systems (KB936330)

Windows Vista Service Pack 1: Resources

Things to know about Windows Vista Service Pack 1

Notable Changes in Windows Vista Service Pack 1

Overview of Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (white paper)

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Deployment Guide (doc)

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Deployment Guide

Release Notes for Windows Vista Service Pack 1

Frequently Asked Questions

Hotfixes and security updates included in Windows Vista Service Pack 1

Windows Service Pack blocker tool (prevent installation of Windows Service Pack updates through Windows Update)

TechNet: Windows Vista SP1 Forum

Winsupersite: Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Revealed
    Winsupersite: Inside Windows Vista Service Pack 1
    Winsupersite: Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Review

Windows Vista SP1 will report 4 GB of system memory (RAM) on systems that have 4 GB of memory installed
    Inside Vista SP1 File Copy Improvements

Windows Vista Service Pack 1: Related issues

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is not available for installation from Windows Update and is not offered by Automatic Updates

You experience problems with sound after you install Windows Vista Service Pack 1

A device driver is not installed, or a hardware device does not function correctly after you install Windows Vista Service Pack 1

Information about programs that are known to experience a loss of functionality when they run on a Windows Vista Service Pack 1-based computer

Microsoft Support Search: Windows Vista Service Pack 1

Unlimited installation and compatibility support is available at no charge until March 18, 2009.

Guru3d: Vista SP1 and Phenom Fix

Will all my stuff work under Vista ?

Start by looking at the links under the Vista resources section for Hardware: Requirements, Advisories, Vendors and manufacturers and Application Compatibility.

If you have a newer system the hardware should support Vista and the drivers should be available. If you have older devices, both internal and external, you may find that no Vista drivers will be made available. Some hardware may work using XP drivers on Vista. Often it is just the case that you have to buy the latest hardware to get support for the latest operating system. Having the latest hardware will however not guarantee anything when it comes to software. If there is software you depend on check to see if the software is Vista compatible or not. In day to day use of Vista, if nothing is mentioned in the system requirements about Vista for the software you are looking at, all you can do is try installing the software and see how it goes. More often then not you will have to update some software, update policies will vary from software to software and it may or may not bring a cost. If you never did a major OS upgrade before then in some cases you may be in for a bit of a rough ride, if you tried switching from Windows 98 to XP then you will likely find going from XP to Vista pretty smooth.

Should i get Vista right now ?

Yes and no, there is truthfully no universal good answer to this question.

If your buying a new PC then you may get Vista whether you want it or not, or that is you may have to specify that you want XP and not Vista if that is your choice and assuming it's even a possibility which it may not be. Assuming the system you are buying is Vista ready i would say to get Vista unless you have specific reason not to. Two obvious show stoppers, you have software which don't run on Vista, and/or you have hardware which don't run on Vista. There is a transition faze in which we are in now and as such new hardware and software should work just as well on Vista as on XP. Older hardware and software will likely have a harder time and some simply don't work on Vista. In the end it all depends on your use of the operating system.

So far ?

Undoubtedly for some people Vista has not been the best experience and yet others including myself have had very few issues, or not more then what was to be expected from a new operating system. Mainly the software issues has persisted and are still causing some trouble. As most people not only understand hardware requirements better but also automatically get new hardware with every new PC, this part of the problem solves itself faster. With software it's different. People have their favorite and trusted applications, sometime software dating back to the dawn of time. And seeing how there are still people running dos emulation on XP i think we can safely say the problem is nothing new. Vista is still a new operating system and beginnings are never without tribulation. With all the changes in Vista to the driver model, rewriting of network and audio stack and so on, your bound to run into some compatibility issues with devices and drivers in the beginning.

10 reasons you should get Vista
    10 reasons not to get Vista

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  2. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Vista resources

The overview:

Vista
    The Editions
    Buy or upgrade
    Vista features
    Browse through the features
    Watch the Demos
    Windows Vista Footnotes
    Wikipedia: Features new to Windows Vista
    Windows Vista Product Guide
    Why do I need Windows Vista?

A look at some new features and core changes:

Performance
    Reliability and Performance
    Measuring System Resume Performance on Windows Vista
    Hardware Design for Windows Vista
    Windows PC Accelerators: Performance Technology for Windows Vista
    Wikipedia: Windows System Assessment Tool (WinSAT)
    WinSAT Command List
    Windows System Assessment Tool
    Windows Experience Index: An In-Depth Look
    Services in Windows Vista
    Impact of Session 0 Isolation on Services and Drivers in Windows Vista
    Changes to the audio stack and changes in Windows Media Player audio playback behavior in Windows Vista
    Description of the scheduled tasks in Windows Vista

SuperFetch, ReadyBoost and ReadyDrive:

Channel 9 Video: Michael Fortin - Windows Vista SuperFetch
    Channel 9 Video: Windows Vista, Ready for ReadyDrive
    Windows Vista's SuperFetch and ReadyBoost Analyzed
    ReadyBoost - Using Your USB Key to Speed Up Windows Vista
    ReadyBoost Q&A
    ReadyBoost Performance
    Intel Robson Technology

BitLocker:

Channel 9 Video: Peter Biddle - Bitlocker, Security in Windows Vista
    BitLocker Drive Encryption

UAC: User Account Control:

Paul Thurrott, Feature Focus: User Account Control
    Channel 9 Video: Vista User Account Control
    Mark Russinovich: Windows Vista User Account Control Internals (video, login required)

More On Security:

Windows Vista Security Guide
    Channel 9 Video: Windows Vista Security Guide
    Understanding and Configuring User Account Control in Windows Vista
    User Account Control Overview
    UACBlog

Introduction to Windows Integrity Control
    Dig into New Group Policy Templates in Windows Vista
    More Powerful Group Policy in Windows Vista
    Gaming in a Secure Environment
    BitLocker Drive Encryption: Technical Overview
    Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption Step-by-Step Guide

Networking Features:

New Networking Features in Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista

Performance Enhancements in the Next Generation TCP/IP Stack
    TCP Receive Window Auto-Tuning

A Compound TCP Approach for High-speed and Long Distance Networks
    Performance Enhancements in the Next Generation TCP/IP Stack
    Anandtech: Compound TCP

Vista Kernel Enhancements:

Channel 9 Video: Rob Short (and kernel team) - Going deep inside Windows Vista's kernel architecture
    Kernel Enhancements for Windows Vista and Windows Server "Longhorn"
    Win32 I/O Cancellation Support in Windows Vista
    Mark Russinovich: Inside the Windows Vista Kernel, Part 1
    Mark Russinovich: Windows Vista Kernel Changes (video, login required)

IT Management, Configuration, Guides

TechNet: Management and Operations
    Windows Vista Step-by-Step Guides for IT Professionals
    10 Things You Need to Know about Deploying Windows Vista
    How do I log on to Windows Vista using a domain account?
    User Experience Guidelines 1, 2
    The Windows Vista Developer Story: Application Compatibility Cookbook

Event Management:

New Tools for Event Management in Windows Vista
    Vista boot performance monitoring

Services:

msfn.org: Windows Vista Services List, Descriptions Included
    blackviper: WinVista

Administrator account:

Make your Vista's admin account acts like in XP

System Restore and Backup:

System Restore in Vista
    System Restore points and other recovery features in Windows Vista are affected when you dual-boot with Windows XP
    No restore points are available when you use Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 in a dual-boot configuration together with an earlier Windows operating system
    Some third-party tools can can cause the deletion of restore points in Windows Vista.
    aumha.net forum: System Restore in Windows Vista

Repair A Vista Installation Using The Upgrade Option Of The Vista DVD
    Windows Vista PROview: CompletePC Backup

How to automatically repair Windows Vista using Startup Repair
    Windows Vista no longer starts, and Startup Repair does not fix problem
    How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista

Vista, Windows Update:

Advances in Windows Update
    Disable automatic searching of Windows Update for device drivers

The Boot Configuration Data Editor and Dual/Multibooting with Vista:

BCDEdit is used to edit boot settings now, including boot parameters.

Boot Configuration Data in Windows Vista
    Boot Configuration Data Editor Frequently Asked Questions
    BCD Boot Options Reference
    How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista

Boot Process: Windows Vista vs. Windows XP

There are third-party software which comes with a GUI that makes it a bit easier.

EasyBCD
    EasyBCD Documentation
    EasyBCD forum sticky
    Repairing the Windows Vista Bootloader

VistaBootPRO. Latest version of VistaBootPRO is not free anymore (softpedia: VistaBootPRO 3.2.0 free)

Dual/Multibooting

The definitive dual-booting guide: Windows 7, Linux, Vista and XP step-by-step

You can find more information about Dual/Multibooting in the FAQ Sticky, look under Multibooting.

KB 919529: Windows Vista no longer starts after you install an earlier version of the Windows operating system in a dual-boot configuration

Uninstall Windows Vista on a multiboot system

Forums, blogs, technical resources and tweaks:

Aaron Tiensivu's Blog
    aumha.org: Windows Vista Support
    aumha forum: Windows Vista (Win 6.0) - FAQs, Best Practices & Support
    BlackViper.com: Windows Vista SP1 Service Configurations
    Chris123NT’s Blog
    Howtogeek.com: Windows Vista
    Iexbeta: Vista forum
    Iexbeta: Vista Wiki
    JB's Windows Vista Support FAQ, tips, tricks, and downloads
    jcxp.net, jcxp.net: Vista Forum
    LonghornBlogs
    MSTN: Windows Vista Tips and Tricks
    Neowin: Vista Beta Place
    Neowin: Customizing Windows Vista
    Neowin: Vista - Tips, Tricks & Tweaks
    Pro-networks: Vista forum, PROview Articles and Topics of Interest
    Speedyvista: Windows Vista Services Explained
    Tweakhound: Tweaking Windows Vista
    Top 10 Windows Vista Speed Tweaks
    The elder geek Vista
    Tweakguides
    Tweakvista.com
    Vistax64.com, Tutorials
    vistasupport.mvps.org: FAQ
    Winsupersite: Windows Vista
    WinVistaSecrets: Windows Vista Forum
    windowsvistamagazine
    Win-Vista.net
    Wiki on Windows Vista

Optimize Windows Vista for better performance
    TechNet Forum: Windows Vista IT Pro Beta
    Windows Vista Team Blog
    Windows Vista Security Blog
    MSDN: Windows Vista
    MSDN Library: Windows Vista
    TechNet: Technical Library
    Microsoft Partner Program: Resources
    IT's showtime (Vista search)
    Why do I need Windows Vista?
    Channel 9, Vista Videos

Hardware: Requirements, Advisories, Vendors and manufacturers

Windows Vista Hardware Compatibility List
    Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor
    Windows Vista Enterprise Hardware Planning Guidance
    Links to Manufacturer Information about CPU and Graphics Processor Capabilities

AMD Processors - Windows Vista
    ATI: Windows Vista
    Creative: Windows Vista and Windows XP Professional x64 Edition FAQ
    Dell: Windows Vista Readiness
    HP & Windows Vista
    Intel: Windows Vista Solutions
    Nvidia: Vista page
    S3 Graphics Platform Support for Microsoft Windows Vista
    Microsoft Windows Vista Capable - Toshiba:
    VIA: Windows Vista

ReadyBoost Compatibility - USB and other flash memory devices

Alchemy
    http://www.soundblaster.com/alchemy/
    http://connect.creativelabs.com/alchemy/default.aspx
    http://connect.creativelabs.com/alchemy/Lists/Games/AllItems.aspx

OpenAL
    http://www.openal.org
    http://www.openal.org/titles.html

Application Compatibility

Windows Vista Compatibility Center
    Applications that have earned the "Certified for Windows Vista" logo or the "Works with Windows Vista" logo
    Application Compatibility
    Software Compatibility List

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  3. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Vista issues and Troubleshooting

Windows Help and How-to
    Windows Vista Solution Center
    How to troubleshoot program compatibility issues in Windows Vista
    KB search, How to search for KB articles in Microsoft's web
    Windows Vista - New KB articles
    RSS Feed: Most Recent KBs for Windows Vista Home Premium

Windows Experience Index Screen is Blank

neowin: Windows Experience Index Screen is Blank (TweakVI)

Windows Experience Index - Performance Information and Tools page is completely blank
    Windows Experience Index refresh has an error

PowerISO:

PowerISO on Vista uses up all memory when installing applications

Crash with 3 GB or more RAM installed

Information

Vista keeps installing update on reboot and the update never installs

Use method 9 as explained in this post

Vista KBs

Advanced user steps to troubleshooting a program that does not run as expected after it is installed on Windows Vista

Common file and registry virtualization issues in Windows Vista

In Windows Vista, a folder on the All Programs menu does not open as expected

A folder does not open when you click the folder in the All Programs list in Windows Vista

An item that you copy to a Windows Vista desktop does not appear on the desktop even though it appears in the Desktop folder

Change in the behavior of the format command in Windows Vista

Vista configurations

This is a list, part, of things i do on my Vista install, and part just configuration directions to help people find settings. This is not a tweak guide but the included settings may help performance non the less.

Performance options:

Power options:

Start > Control Panel > Power options > Change to High performance.

Remove hibernation file:

After you have disabled hibernation in Power options you can remove the hibernation file using the command Start > Search/Run > type cmd hit ok > type powercfg –h off

Turn off Indexing:

Open My computer > Right click the drive(s) > On the General tab un-check "Index this drive for faster searching", include subfolders. If you get any errors just ignore them. Disable the Indexing service and/or uninstall, see Uninstall Windows Features.

Turn off automatic disk defrag:

Start > Search/Run > type dfrgui.exe hit ok, un-check the scheduled defrag.

Turn off, Offline files:

Start > Control Panel > Offline files > Disable Offline files (require restart).

Sounds scheme, no sound:

Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Sounds tab > From the drop down menu select, No Sounds.

Uninstall Windows Features:

Start > Control Panel > Program Features > On the left panel select Turn Windows Features on or off. Obviously you should not uninstall things you need.

Indexing Service (if you have disabled Indexing)
    Remote Differential Compression
    Tablet PC Optional Components
    Windows DFS Replication Service
    Windows Fax & Scan
    Windows Meeting Space

Security options:

Please do NOT disable any of these unless you understand the ramification.

Turn off System Restore:

Start > Control Panel > System. Click System Protection on the left panel. Un-check the main system drive. Agree to the confirmation.

Turn off User Account Control:

Start > Control Panel > User Accounts > Turn User Account Control on or off > Un-check, Use User Account Control to help protect your computer (restart needed). Consider turning it back on after you have gone through setting up the system.

Turn off Windows Security Center:

Start > Control Panel > Security Center > Change the way Security Center.... > Don't notify me and don't display the icon. You can disable the service as well.

Interface options:

Folder options:

Start > Control Panel > Folder options.

Check, Show hidden files and folders
    Un-check, Hide extensions for known file types
    Un-check, Hide protected operating system files
    Un-check, Automatically search the network folders and printers.
    Un-check, Use Sharing Wizard

Folder View settings:

Windows Explorer Folder View settings

Explorer Menu bar:

Explorer (open a folder) > Organize > Layout > Menu bar

Desktop Classic Icons:

Right click desktop > View > Classic Icons

Fonts, ClearType off:

Right click the desktop and select "Personalize" > "Window Color and Appearance" > Open classic appearance properties..... > Effects

Turn off Sticky Keys:

Control Panel > Ease of Access Center > Make the keyboard easier to use > Un-check Turn on Sticky Keys

Add Move and Copy to, to explorer right click:

Copy and paste the below code into notepad, save as .reg file (make sure the file extension is .reg, e.g. explorer.reg) double click to import, answer yes.

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Copy To]
    @="{C2FBB630-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Move To]
    @="{C2FBB631-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}"

Application options:

IE7 Menu bar:

Tools > Menu bar

IE7 Cleartypes:

Internet settings > Advanced > Multimedia > Always use CT for HTML

Windows Media Player Menu bar:

Right click the frame (not on any of the fan blades), now from the right click menu select "Show classic menus".

Stuff

Event Viewer boot time log:

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > Microsoft > Windows > Diagnostics-Performance > Operational

Windows Performance Tools Kit:

Windows Performance Tools Kit, v.4.1.1 (QFE)
    Windows Performance Toolkit (WPT)
    On/Off Transition Trace Capture tool
    Recommended Procedure: On/Off Transition Trace Capture tool

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  4. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Nice Read for the Noobies To Vista :p

GJ

5. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Wow nice thread thanks.

6. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Somebody has been a busy boy.

Good work.
    Better Sticky this. (Seeing as I'm tired of all the Vista threads =P)

7. stefansg

stefansg Master Guru

GPU:
    Point of View 8800GTX
    Finally a stickie :)

8. darknight909

darknight909 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080
    sniff sniff you replaced my sticky!

of well yours is much better i was wondering why you havent posted anything on vista yet, this thing is massive

9. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Yea I know, had to unstick yours =P Got covered in this one, and you must admit, this one has a hell of a lot of info in it.

10. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Cool thanks, lets just hope it can stop some of the Vista thread flooding (although i doubt it).
    Hmm i did not see that sticky, i must have missed it. Anyways your more then welcome to pitch in with anything you have. Input is welcome.

I will add a troubleshooting part on Vista specific issues later on, i bet that there are plenty to go around.

11. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    anyone running a system similar to mine (i mean 680i , 8800) on vista 64-bit , how are people finding it??

very good guide bye the way , think ive got some reading to do

12. darknight909

darknight909 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080
    Ani did you get my PM?

13. LordAboveAll

LordAboveAll Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB
    Thanks for the info I now know what I need!

14. dB

dB Ancient Guru

GPU:
    88GTS 512M@830/2050/2.2g
  15. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    I've just setup a fresh install of Vista Ultimate 32bit. Disabled the Windows-Search service right away, 33 processes running after bootup using 22% of my RAM. I really don't understand what people do to get 50 processes or more running, it's a great OS.

16. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    I revised the "Should i get it right now" part a bit. Added the new SP2 date and links to Service Pack 1 Beta White Paper and Overview.

17. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3080 OC
    NETSH mayor options

they work even on my lowly 512kbps internet

C:\Users\MY NAME!!!>netsh int tcp show global
    Querying active state...

TCP Global Parameters
    ----------------------------------------------
    Receive-Side Scaling State : enabled
    Chimney Offload State : enabled
    Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level : normal
    Add-On Congestion Control Provider : ctcp
    ECN Capability : disabled
    RFC 1323 Timestamps : disabled

what's all this above? my current settings...

(it's mostly a backup of the commands since I tend to forget them 29 minutes after I type them)

Netsh int tcp set global...

congestionprovider= (none/ctcp)

Compound TCP
    For TCP connections with a large TCP Receive Window size and a large bandwidth-delay product (the bandwidth multiplied by the latency of the connection), Compound TCP (CTCP) in the Next-Generation TCP/IP stack aggressively increases the amount of data sent at one time by monitoring the bandwidth-delay product, delay variations, and packet losses. CTCP also ensures that its behavior does not negatively impact other TCP connections.

autotuninglevel= (highlyrestricted/restricted/normal/disable/experimental)

Receive Window Auto-Tuning
    The TCP receive window size is the amount of bytes in a memory buffer on a receiving host that is used to store incoming data on a TCP connection. To correctly determine the value of the maximum receive window size for a connection based on the current conditions of the network, the Next Generation TCP/IP stack supports Receive Window Auto-Tuning. Receive Window Auto-Tuning determines the optimal receive window size per connection by measuring the bandwidth-delay product (the bandwidth multiplied by the latency of the connection) and the application retrieval rate. It then automatically adjusts the maximum receive window size on a regular basis.

ecncapability= (enable/disable)

ECN Support
    When a TCP segment is lost, TCP assumes that the segment was lost due to congestion at a router and performs congestion control, which dramatically lowers the TCP sender’s transmission rate. With Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) support on both TCP peers and in the routing infrastructure, routers experiencing congestion mark the packets as they forward them. TCP peers receiving marked packets lower their transmission rate to ease congestion and prevent segment losses.

timestamps= (enable/disable)

TCP Timestamps Option

TCP is a symmetric protocol, allowing data to be sent at any time in either direction, and therefore timestamp echoing may occur in either direction. For simplicity and symmetry, we specify that timestamps always be sent and echoed in both directions. For efficiency, we combine the timestamp and timestamp reply fields into a single TCP Timestamps Option.

rss= (enable/disable)

Receive-side Scaling enables in-order packet delivery by ensuring that only one processor processes packets for a single TCP connection. This Receive-side Scaling feature requires that the network adapter examine each packet header and then use a hashing function to compute a signature for the packet. The hash result is then used as an index into a table. Because this table contains the specific CPU that is to run the associated DPC, and the host protocol stack can change the contents of the table at any time, the TCP/IP stack can dynamically balance the processing load on each CPU.

chimney= (enable/disable)

By offloading this processing to dedicated hardware, a server computer's CPU can be used for other tasks. TCP/IP in Windows Server 2003 already supports task offload of TCP checksum calculations and TCP segmentation (also known as large send offload [LSO]) to compatible network adapters. TCP Chimney Offload provides automated, stateful offload of all TCP traffic processing to specialized network adapters that implement a TCP Offload Engine (TOE).

18. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    I have purposefully left the commands and just show the Compound TCP command. I think it is best if people read the link provided at the start and make sure they understand what the functions are. Some of the features are off by default on Vista and only on for Windows Server 2008.

Are you sure your hardware supports Receive-Side Scaling and TCP Chimney Offload ?

19. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Updated with links for Vista Service Pack 1 RC1 (x64 and x86).

20. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Updated to reflect Service Pack 1 RTM. Removed the (dead) links for Vista Service Pack 1 RC