Vista & DX10...I already hate it

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by MTL, Jul 27, 2006.

1. MTL

MTL Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 7900GTO SLI
    After reading and reading what seems like hundreds of pages about Windows Vista I have come to one conclusion for us gamers:

Microsoft is screwing us.....but what's new with that?

Lets see:

-No SLI or Crossfire under Vista because it won't let GPUs send info to eachother
    -It seems to be a total resource hog once you enable any of the "new" features, especially "Aero Glass"
    -There will be no DX10 in the standard (Home) retail build
    -The new file system won't be included in the standard retail build

So why then should someone want to change over to Vista?

DX10 won't be compatible with Windows XP!!! Give me a break!!! So if we want to play DX10 games we will have to switch not only to a DX10 graphics card which can't be SLI'd or Crossfired but we will have to switch our entire OS.

Is this wrong info? If so, please someone clear it up for me.

If it is the right info, am I the only one pissed about MS turning a blind eye to us gamers and just dangling a carrot attached to a string in front of us?

2. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    no SLI or croosfire ??? looks like i wont be going to vista when it comes out then

i think microsoft are making some big fook ups with vista, but we will see what happens

3. kenace0

kenace0 Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx geforce 9600 gt
    here comes linex :) :)

4. Sieras

Sieras Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    I think that SLI and Crossfire support in Vista will be added, it would be insane if that thing wouldn't be possible with so much SLI and Crossfire cards and mobos around..
    Everything else seems fine, dx10 is not possible under xp anyway, it needs LDDM driver to function correctly, which can't work under win xp.

5. MTL

MTL Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 7900GTO SLI
    So you are ok with having to buy a whole new (potentially buggy) OS just to use DX10? I know I'm not.

The problem is that the coding of the Vista software itself doesn't support multi-gpu solutions. Thus, changing anything less than the whole software underpinnings of Vista wouldn't help.

6. Sieras

Sieras Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    I'm not ok too, that will cost a whole damn of money :frown: but hey, what choices do we have? almost none.. one day every game will be on dx10 without any falling back to dx9 mode...

7. GODzillaSDM

GODzillaSDM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    VisionTek AMD HD7850
    i was ok with paying for vista to get dx10. But hearing that dx10 is not on the HOME edition does get me upset.

There are two Home editions. Basic and Premium. Are they not available in both of these? Where did you hear about this? Link?

thanks.

8. deathvirus

deathvirus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 870M 6GB
    Anyone care to mod 98 .. it'll be free soon ....

9. MTL

MTL Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 7900GTO SLI
  10. jazziam

jazziam Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 260GTX
    I mite just consider giving Vista the V sign and stick with XP, one of the most solid OS's ive used. Seriously i dont get why they dont put these things in...

arnt these fundermental parts to Vista?

11. brewskee78

brewskee78 Member Guru

GPU:
    Msi 7600GT 256MB w/ ViVo
    typical microsoft.. always so greedy.. want you to buy alot of crap just to use DX10...and wont make it compatible with WinXP.. to hell with Microsoft.

12. Nazar78

Nazar78 Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY88GT512 850/2000/2280
    Lol~ lots of these rumor, one of my friend who just got a new gaming system got so ****ed-up.

1) You're on WinXP (DX9), games on DX10 means you can't play on WinXP? Sort of COD2 DX9-DX7? That's up to game programmers to code right, to make`em multi DX/OS?

2) So you upgraded to Vista Pre, you can't no longer use your DX9 cards to enjoy the DX10?

After DX10 initial release, I think either sides gonna loose money, if not us, M$ or Nvidia/Ati :p

13. caedriel

caedriel New Member

GPU:
    2x XFX GeForce 7900GX2
    *shrug* I won't be using Vista until they've at least released SP1. Vistas Network Stack is so royally insecure compared to WinXP, no way I'll risk that.

In addition, who needs that awful Aero Glass GUI? The only thing that it'll do fine is to keep the GPU core in 3D-Mode all the time so it'll roast the card sooner or later :p

14. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    well..ive got vista look via vista pack and windowblinds for now..looks like vista..runs like XP..not bad at all :)

15. anthony

anthony Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6600GT top <- Smoken fast
    im using the beta now. so far i really like it. its something new. other than a lack of drivers i have no problems with it. i really like the areo interface and the application flip feature. however whether it be now or in the future i dont plan on gaming in vista. ill keep a barebone install of xp for games.

16. Brian the King

Brian the King Maha Guru

GPU:
    Mobility Radeon HD 5470
    ahahaa, qft

17. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Ahh, proprietary lock-in at it's finest.

I don't like Vista, a lot of people don't like Vista.

Are people going to end up installing it anyway? Most likely.

18. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    i agree finchwizard, but is vista that much better for gaming than xp pro or even 64 pro?? i mean the extra resources it takes to run just the os could be used to improve performance surely?

19. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 2080 Ti
    Dang people stop basing BETA builds off to be a final product...things will change...give it time. Home ultimate is all you really need unless you run a business, I know thats the build ill own. Also BETA 2 is for EVALUATION...not EVERYDAY USE..even the builds everyday users cant get. The only problem i have is the DX10 thing..im just not impressed with it as of yet. But Im giving it time to see how it matures. IT wont be fully utilized for a looong time. So your DX9 cards will do just fine for a while. yes a few early games use DX10 but the devs themselves say its a small dif from DX9 as nobody can fully code DX10 as of yet.

20. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I think it will be ok, maybe slightly more bloated than XP, but I mean, by then everyones computers will probably be able to handle it.

It'll only start to really start to improve after Service Pack 1 or probably 2