Vista: "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered"

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by TehRhoi, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TehRhoi

TehRhoi New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT x2
    I know there have been hundreds of threads about this, and I have spent countless hours reading through them all, trying their fixes to no avail.

Frankly I am tired of it, so I decided to make my own thread in the most active and helpful Forum that I could find, long time reader, first time poster.

By now I am sure you are all sick of reading about this stupid [Censored] problem, and it I can assure you it is about to get worse. I am a Computer N00b, I have very little knowledge of Overclocking, Underclocking, or even what drivers I have installed at the moment. All the older forum posts I have read date back to 2006, I bought this computer (had it built from bits) May last year, so I am sure that my drivers are newer than the ones claiming to fix said error.

(Dont read this if you know what happens, or feel free to continue if you think this could be some freaky rare case) Whenever I play a game, any game, after a while, things get choppy, the screen freezes for a second, then black screen, until it recovers, which is when i get the small little triangle in the bottom right hand side of my screen. This just happens, over and over again. I do not know how to fix it. I am at a loss, I go to the NVIDIA site and get the latest driver, still no fix. :bang:

If anyone can shed ANY light on this technologically retarded chump, I would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks!

2. kalispimenta

kalispimenta Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX @680X1030MHZ
    Like you said there's been hundrers of threads about this a couple here,i had this problem and my opinion go for elimination.
    Do you overclock? If so make sure it's stable ,i mean STABLE!Run orthos,prime,bla,bla,bla this way you eliminate the hardware question,oh don't forget memtest86.
    After install the hotfix posted here,fix it for me BEFORE i had to re-install my windows.
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=283759
    btw also check post (#9) maybe it applies to you.

3 but maybe not last, do all this tweaks:
    http://www.nvlddmkm.com/

Once you apply a fix test it so you don't apply to many fixes,go by process of elimination

GOOD LUCK! YOU NEED IT

3. TehRhoi

TehRhoi New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT x2
    Well, I checked those out, and tried the first, where I saw that I had both the older driver folder and the newer one, could that have caused a problem?

No I don't Overclock by the way >.<

Also I changed the view to classic. Looks boring, but so far so good (touch wood).

4. Crisis66

Crisis66 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970
    I had the same problem and I found a way to fix it. This is caused by the nvlddmkm.sys in your windows directory. The problem is that sometimes the nvlddmkm.sys will keep the information from old drivers.

I had done exactly what kalispimenta's second link says to do to fix it.

5. Ellisdee

Ellisdee Member

GPU:
    2x4870x2 1x8800 Ultra
    for me had helped till yet (first 2 days with this option) to set at nvidia settings the "Multi display mixed GPU rendering on perfomance mode for 1 gpu and many displays" problem is my driver is in german and i dont know the correct spelling in english and maybe u dont have the option i dont know mabe u have it only when u have 2screens

yesterday i got only 1 nvl crash in 4 hours with this setting
    on driver default setting i have nvl crash every 10 minute to every minute and faster

and i also think not every nvl crash has the same reason cause 1 fix does not help all for me for example when i install clean vista with latest driver then i have no old drivers on it and i still have the nvl crash and i reinstalled it many times

Detailed system specifications
    P5E64WS Evolution
    Core2Duo E6850 @ 3.2 fsb 1600
    OCZ Platinum 1600 mhz eb
    8800 Ultra For Primary screen displays only games
    8600 GS For Screen 2 and 3 screen 2 displays desktop icons and display 3 shows TV at same time with games on primary screen
    terratec cynergy ht pci tv tuner
    creative xifi soundcard
    8600gs does the physix calculation
    corsair 800W single rail 60A psu

tv tuner and gaming at same time i ll do since 2004 was never a problem and is not the problem OC is not the problem too non o.c.ed nvl crashs still exists no componets are defect thats for sure too

this is the most complicated bug ever no one knows a 100% fix cause not nvidia not microsoft not intel knows the real reason y it happens

from 7. december to 4. januar i had 109 nvl crashes ;)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  6. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    And that's the reason why we don't need the 500th one in order to regurgitate the same kind of info over and over again.

Please, use one of the existing ones in order to discuss this problem:

Vista: "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered"
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=229865

Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.