Vista: "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered"

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by NeoElNino, Jun 30, 2007.

1. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    One would think with the progress of hardware and software that tolerances of certain products and materials will be higher.
    I didn't just start over clocking yesterday. Been doing it for many years now with increasingly higher performing hardware and never had such an incidence. Just the uneventful no post screen which nevers stopped anyone!
    This is obviously a memory handling issue related to Vista and drivers. It will not make me stop over clocking.
    Rule number 2 says if clocking and loving it why stop?

2. CharlieSimon

CharlieSimon Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce GTX 970
    Well, I almost garantue that if you run @ stock-cooling or at least lower you're clocking the problems would stop.

and no, that's not rule number 2.
    Then again, there's no rules but certain guidelines.
    And if you've overclocked for years then you should probably know the following.

You do it on your own risk.
    Make sure it's stable or you can hurt your hardware.
    Know what you're doing.
    If it's unstable, lower the clocks to make it stable.

3. Rillipiru

Rillipiru Master Guru

GPU:
    660 ti 2GB
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  4. CharlieSimon

CharlieSimon Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce GTX 970
    You all know what happens when you get the infamous "Vista: "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered" " error?

What I've understood by reading on some it's when your GPU fails, instead of a bsod it reboots the gpu @ default clocks.
    Pretty convenient way of stop a bsod if you ask me.

5. mb

mb Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC
    well i had this problem too but after turning off the nvidia service as year has suggested and raising the vdimm to 2.19v it seems gone.

though i have windows telling me that there have been errors with the video adapter and propose to solve it/search for a solution.
    however, it must be the deactivated nvidia service which stopped it from giving me message plus the ugly effects it causes this thread is about. so yeah, problem not solved really but at least it doesnt affect me anymore. hope there will be either a proper driver from nvidia or appropriate hotfix from ms.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  6. Barton C++

Barton C++ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk GTX460 1GB @ SLI
    I'm actually AFRAID of this error ! I hate getting it, since my rig has become very unstable after too high oc (2-3 times). Fix has always been to re-install driver in safe mode, and lowering gpu clocks.

Now after having this card for 6 weeks? I pretty much know each clock limit (core, shader, mem), and I've reached high oc without driver errors. Finished R6Vegas 2 (maybe 15-20hr sp) without a hitch !

Removing old traces of drivers is a must, after that, go ahead and oc again.

All of my driver errors were coz of TOO HIGH GPU *CORE CLOCK*. Shader and mem clock have always given some kinds of artifacts, given me time to adjust oc.

7. mb

mb Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC
    my gfx card isnt overclocked, only cpu, ram and fsb

8. CharlieSimon

CharlieSimon Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce GTX 970
    Do you got 1:1 ratio on fsb/ram ?

9. CharlieSimon

CharlieSimon Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce GTX 970
    Statement from Nvidia about this.

edit :
    And here's from microsofts database.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  10. synapz

synapz Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980ti
    I had this problem before but not anymore. I had 2GB OCZ PC8500 memory installed and I had this error frequently when I ran the memory at 1066Mhz but much less when I ran it at 800Mhz. When I switched to Crucial BallistiX TRACER PC8500 all the problems disappeared. Even if I run at over 1066Mhz I have yet to have any BSOD at all. So, you problems might be memory related.

11. adamsd

adamsd New Member

J got the same problem as all of you in this post, but J have solved my problem.
    My Gainward 7800 gs was very unstable so J return it back to the store where
    J bought the graphic card. After some testing by the servicer they told me that
    the memory wasn't good and of course they will give me a new one. As first aid
    they gave me Radeon 9600 Pro and after installing this graphic card J don't have that message "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered" anymore showing on my computer, no more restarts, the computer runs smoothly. Sorry for my English !!

12. CharlieSimon

CharlieSimon Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce GTX 970
    Adamsd , not to wierd you're not getting the error anymore.
    nvlddmkm is a nvidia driver dll.
    Which Radeon cards doesn't use.
    Howere, there's a ATI version of this error as well.
    Not as common as nvidia error tho'

13. AVR512

AVR512 Member

GPU:
    Inno3D GeForceFX 5200 128MB DDR
    Its due to a damn heating problem...i too get it when i oc my fx 5200(not a decent card though)...but everything's fine when its at stock speeds.

14. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Right now things runs smooth again. Even Crysis, system overclocked and card overclocked. Ran crysis in Natural Mod no issues. Played NFS Pro street for 3 hours no issues.
    This time the problem MAY have bee mine. I clicked the box in rivatuner for mother board chipset compatability mode. (under the system tweaks section, compatability tab.) An d got immedead crash messages to desktop.
    Unmarked, restarted, system clocked, and no issues since. (drivers 174.74)

But your right my PSU is cutting it close to the edge. That onlinr test does not mention the power required if the graphic card is overclocked.
    Time to reasses and reinvest.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  15. anuncie

anuncie New Member

Possible fix:

With nTune help, downclock your gpu. I have changed my core bus 540Mhz to 500Mhz and memory bus 700Mhz to 640Mhz and this damn error never happended aguin. And i updated my directx to 10.

I hope this is useful, and sorry for the bad english.

16. LEXX911

LEXX911 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 950
    I can't believe people here think it's your memory, PSU, OC and overheating is the problem. Wake up. It's the stupid video driver. The stupid video driver can't handle my UT99 for god sake and it produce this error. I have never gotten this error with the 169 drivers. It only happen in the 174 and 175 drivers on my 8800GTX OC.

17. atlas029

atlas029 Member Guru

GPU:
    evga295gtx+/8800GTS640
    I have to agree,this has to be a driver problem!!! I have never seen this problem till i installed AS.Creed with the 174 and 175 drivers on my 2x 8800gts superclocks. All other games run super smooth in both sli/single card setups. now that i have went back to the 169.xx drivers the problem is gone with AC.Creed.......THIS IS SAD THAT NVIDIA CANT GET A DRIVER OUT THAT REALLY WORKS!!!

18. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Must update here
    Bought a Corsiar 520W PSU. I thought my Zalman 640W was too stressed, as some people pointed out to me. Not the case.
    Then I did a clean update to 175.15 (from 174.74) and got many nvldddmkm crashes. Clean reinstalled 174.74 and the crashes were still there.
    Choose different memory timings and oveclocking settings, no avail. NOTE the system runs well when my PC is NOT overclocked.
    This experience, plus extensive research about the nvidia-vista memory management issues lead me to set my 4gigs of memory to default clocks and voltage in the bios BUT leave my CPU clocked to 3.01.

Success !!!
    Ran Crysis, Assssin's and Assassin's creed plus 3DMARK06 with out issues for over a week now.. Did a manual system restore point and now happy. Its clearly the handling of memory in the oveclocked or overvolted memory sticks the issue.

NOTE my card always run clocked when I game, even if the PC is not clocked.
    NOTE, I have yet to upgrade my drivers from 17.74...

For me any way..

:pc1:

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  19. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Update again
    Sorry for bogging down an old thread, but many people have problem with this crash the world over..
    Installed an E8400 now its clocked to 4ghz easily. I have not touched the memory timings or voltage..
    Crysis runs about 5fps better (cuban mod) and I can max out Vegas 2 (full AA ingameand motion blur) and Assassin creed.
    No crash!!!
    After hours of play

20. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    ok guys Microsoft finally admits that this error is due to stupid Vista. You will need to download the following KB to hot fix this issue:

DOWNLOAD:

Update for Windows Vista 32bits >>>

Update for Windows Vista 64bits >>>

LINK: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938194

According to Microsoft, KB938194 will resolve the following problems:
    "The screen may go blank when you try to upgrade the video driver.

• The computer stops responding, and you receive a "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" error message.
    • The computer stops responding or restarts unexpectedly when you play video games or perform desktop operations.

• The Diagnostic Policy Service (DPS) stops responding when the computer is under heavy load or when very little memory is available. This problem prevents diagnostics from working.
    • The screen goes blank after an external display device that is connected to the computer is turned off.
    • There are stability issues with some graphics processing units (GPUs). These issues could cause GPUs to stop responding (hang).
    Visual appearance issues occur when you play graphics-intensive games.
    • You experience poor playback quality when you play HD DVD disks or Blu-ray disks on a large monitor.
    • Applications that load the Netcfgx.dll component exit unexpectedly.
    • Windows Calendar exits unexpectedly after you create a new appointment, create a new task, and then restart the computer.
    • Internet Connection Sharing stops responding after you upgrade a computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP to Windows Vista and then restart the computer.
    • The Printer Spooler service stops unexpectedly.
    • You receive a "Stop 0x0000009F" error when you put the computer to sleep while a Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) connection is active."

:3eyes:

Last edited: May 23, 2008