Vista: "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered"

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by NeoElNino, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Tr0n

Tr0n Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GTS 320 MB
    This is a Vista (and now SP1) ForceWare driver incomparability problem.

I'm waiting for the first official post SP1 ForceWare drivers to test this out.

2. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Got my system running after these crashes. Basically I cannot overclock my CPU! Its got to be a memory swap/management issue . Especially if I have FOUR memory units (4x1gig) all overclocked with my CPU via the bios. Apparently Vista and the nvidia drivers have a hard time if the system is overclocked... This is my opinion after very extensive testing and clean reinstalling over some weeks now. NO Vista hotfixes help. I had SP1 installed that did not help.

Tried wiping all residual nvlddmkm.sys files from the system no help.
    Games run rock solid only when my CPU and memory are at default settings. Bummer!!!!! What the point of clocking...
    Back to XP for me..

But I can still clock my card.
    Will definitly invest in a E8400
    This issue started about a month for me....

3. Chastity

Chastity Guest

Probably your memory timings are too fast for the overclock. With all four banks occupied, you are probably hitting a bottleneck on your memory controller. Also, if you haven't already, make sure your DRAM timing is set to 2T (2N on some BIOS) and not 1T. Necessary for having 4 banks occupied.

Take two out and then retry your overclocking, and see if you're successful.

4. razor950

razor950 Member

GPU:
    BFG 7950 GT OC
    I have everything at regular settings, nothing is oced except the standard evga 8800gt's are oced (its the G92 and using a aftermarket heatsink thermaltake ones). Heat can't be a factor since I have tested it with the case open and my room temperature pretty cold.

I also have the error, I have done everything, the expand thing to the sys file, I have removed all of the files in the file repo. I have tried so many different nvidia drivers including 174.74. I have had the issue since I made this pc in feburary and its annoying :(.

The memory checks out- both prime test and memtest. Cpu also checks out, I don't think its the video cards that are broken but I might have to rma that or try those on another pc.

5. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i have never used Vista before (and won't for a very long time i hope) but i'd like to recommend 1 thing i always do when i reinstall windows or new forceware in xp and i'd like to hear from any Vista user if the NVLDDMKM stops when you open the Services and stop the nVidia service commonly called "NVIDIA Display Driver Service", mine is always set to DISABLED.

what if this little service installed with every forceware is the culprit and it's the cause of all these problems considering it is related to the drivers?

please try to disable it and test your games, aero or whatever preferebly without overclocking and report.

this is just something i've been thinking about after reading a couple of pages here for fun you've been over/downclocking your cards, tried different drivers, tried just about everything but turning off this service well try and see.. on XP this service is known to occasionally crash the CP and or use 100% of your cpu.. perhaps in Vista it manifests with different errors such as the Driver Not Responding.

"Provides system and desktop level support to the NVIDIA display driver"

year after year with the service disabled i've yet to find out wtf this one does other than eating your cpu cycles and crashing your software. i wonder.

i do not exclude that any ATi user with a similar Driver Not Responding issue may have an ATi service running under the hood just like the nvidia service, i mean the error says clearly DISPLAY DRIVER STOPPED RESPONDING that reminds me of Explorer.exe not responding or game not responding and almost always anything not responding was .EXE based.. which again points to the nvidia service which is an .EXE file. :3eyes:

good luck.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  6. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    My timings are at 5,5,5 18(tRAS) is this ok? Command rate is 2T already.

Udate
    OKAY
    Reduced the voltage of my ddr2 memory and ran at 5-5-5-18 (2T)
    Enabled CPU virtualisation(?)

Ran 3dmark06 at my clocked settings, 3ghz and clocked card, no nvlddmkm crash. Even played crysis with natural mod for half an hour no crash.
    Of course this can guarantee nothing!! "Just a sliver of happiness" :banana:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  7. Lolcb

Lolcb Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 280
    I am having this annoying problem on the 169.25 174.53 174.70..

169.25 it does give me the message saying nvkdlmm error and succesfully recovered.

but for the 174 drivers, it just freezes my cpu and i have to manually restart. sigh..

8. bfGDennis

bfGDennis Master Guru

GPU:
    Bfg GTX 295
    I started getting this error in the last few days
    in vista 64, the only thing I did last was flash my cards bios wonder if my card is fubar now arghhh!

9. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Still going strong no nvlddmkm mojo!
    It could have just been my mem timings and or voltage?
    Playing Crysis with different mods..
    Finished FEAR PM no issues...
    Playing COD4 no probs...
    Installed and tried Bioshock again just for testing ... No probs at alll!!!!!!!!

10. Nosferatu1976

Nosferatu1976 Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX280 XXX 670/2500/1458
    174.74 whql / 9800 GTX Display Driver stopped responding

Display Driver stopped responding, has successfully recovered

i have these with my 9800 gtx under Vista64 3-4 times in 3-4 hours gaming (does not matter which game) i am using 174.74 WHQL Driver but had that issue with older drivers too. The Issue happens more often if i activate dreamscene

need a fix... its very ugly to have this issue

11. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Interesting
    Some people claim that nvidia should have fixed this "bug" with the 9800 cards. I guess not. Is your memory overclocked?
    Try under clocking or taking down the voltage a bit. I reset my memory timings to CL5 this might help. Vista has a hard time with clocking and soo much different memory units. (8 gigs !!!)
    These I things I did in different combinations not step by step. I even have CPU virtualistion activated in bios... Try that. This is issue is often connected to virtual memory management as well.
    Try these things one at a time...

12. Nosferatu1976

Nosferatu1976 Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX280 XXX 670/2500/1458
    hi and thx for your help, i tried all of it but issue is still here... nothing has changed. I did not overclocked my memory and i made higher and lower voltage testings with it with everytime the same conclusion. Many others have these issue too

13. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Crap got it back again!!!
    Installed dreamscape and all hell broke loose!!
    My mouse disappeared!! and then crysis and NFS prostreet crashes back to desktop after 2 seconds...
    After a clean reinstall of Vista 64 with all updates sans dreamscape the nvlddmkm crash reappears when the PC is overclocked!!!!!!! Even at my preferred memory settings...

I need drugsss

14. Spockmaster

Spockmaster Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GT OCX (700/2000/1728)
    possible solution: uninstall vista SP1, im almost sure its whats causing it.

i had been getting this error at first, but then had been running the 169.61 quadro drivers fine for months, until i put SP1 on my comp (or maybe one of the lastest updates, whichever)...now no driver i try will remain stable.

im gettin really pissed at nvidia because they cant seem to make good drivers for vista more than a YEAR after its release. ive only ever used nvidia products, and was planning on only using them since my uncle works for them...but if they cant get this fixed by the time im ready to upgrade video cards, im switching to ATI.

15. bfGDennis

bfGDennis Master Guru

GPU:
    Bfg GTX 295
    a simple Vista reinstall solved this error for me and no vista sp1 patch

16. Rillipiru

Rillipiru Master Guru

GPU:
    660 ti 2GB
    I got this error first time ever. With vista 32 bit (SP1 since march 08), E6300@3100 and 8800 Gts 320 Mb which i had earlier i never got this.

Now i stepped up with E8400@4Mhz and 8800 GT sonic (pretty much OC´d) and COD4 result stop error.

Conclusions, i lowered gpu oc and it went away. Simple as that. Using 174.74.

17. CharlieSimon

CharlieSimon Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce GTX 970
  18. CrAnK

CrAnK Member

GPU:
    Galaxy 780 3GB HOF
    Anyone know if the 174.85B drivers helped with this stupid F***in problem???

19. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Been there, done that, got the t shirt.

Whats the point of clocking and playing if I get this stupid crash which is unfixable.
    Crysis runs much better when clocked from 1.8 to 3.0!!

Is this a ploy from the mulitnationals to make me upgrade to a E8400????:stewpid::stewpid::stewpid::stewpid::stewpid:

20. CharlieSimon

CharlieSimon Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce GTX 970
    Don't overclock?
    If it can't handle the overclock, then dont.
    Simple as that.
    It's not like the hardware is built for overclocking. (except some enthusiast hardware)
    You overclock at your own risk, pretty much rule number 1.