Vista: "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered"

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by NeoElNino, Jun 30, 2007.

1. bigb792001

bigb792001 Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA 285 GTX (SLI)
    I was getting this error with every other driver that I tried.. installed the 2 MS beta hotfixes for vista a few days ago and haven't seen the error since.

2. Kakihara

Kakihara Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX (SLI)
    It's slightly better I'd say but I stillc an't turn on aero...or perhaps I should say yes I can and yes it sometimes (not often) run for 8h without problems but in the end it always does it.
    Thos who have ultimate only have to try dreamscene....if you think aero crashes try to start dreamscene it's 10x less stable.

I'm pretty sure ther'es a relation between the error and the memory or vist'a memory management, because underclocking ram if not fix it entirely lessens the problem a lot !
    With my "stock" 1066Mhz aero is almost insta-crash, if I run my ram at 800Mhz I can use aero+dreamscene for a while before having the error.

Overclocked CPU or not doesn't change anything..and btw I used the same config on XP I had 15'000 3dmark06 with 3000cpu score and the max coretemp was 53° and I could run prime95 for 24h without errors so it's not my hardware that has a problem....it's vista who doesn't like some configs...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  3. CalSprint

CalSprint New Member

4. drumthrasher109

drumthrasher109 Active Member

GPU:
    HIS 4850 512MB
    I never heard of those drivers...i'll try the new ones updated today.

5. justifireb2b

justifireb2b Member Guru

GPU:
    3x Asus GTX280 TRI-SLI
    Wheres the vista 64-bit driver?

6. squidler80

squidler80 Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga Titan Sli
    Hey guys i get the same problem, seems to happen more now that i got a second 8800gtx in sli. Have never had a problem when playing a game it seems to only happen when i'm surfing the net, listening to music. Totaly random. Have to reboot my machine almost every time it happens , especially with sli enabled :( Sucks that nvidia can get away with this :(

Driver error recovered thing is not hardware that's forsure.

7. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    Did you install the MS reliability and performance patch for Vista???

I have been running for 1 week with NO PROBLEM:beam:

8. archie123

archie123 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme

No offence mate but this advice hasnt been posted here yet because thats how we have always uninstalled/reinstalled new drivers , anyone who has more than 2 posts here gets that pretty quick.

Your giving us advice we have been following religiously for years , you actually telling hardcore gamers how to install drivers!!!??? ;) ;) (no offence meant mate just a wee joke) :D

9. Stangs55

Stangs55 Member

GPU:
    R9 290X
    Just want to chime in...again

Problem still exists even AFTER the recent Hotfixes...

Currently running 162.25 WHQL...

This is absolutely ridiculous....

10. GamingN00b

GamingN00b New Member

GPU:
    Gainward 8800 Ultra (x2) SLi
    Hello folks - my first post :p

Recently purchased a gaming PC with what I thought were some nice specs and hardware setup - only to find the now seemingly common "NVLDDMKM" error. I have tried everything I could think of - seen various discussions on various threads about possible failed memory, overheating cards, running card fans at 100%, voltage adjusts, BIOS adjusts, drivers, MS updates blah blah blah.

What I haven't tried yet is installing XP Pro as a secondary OS and was wondering if anyone has done this and found it successful? I can't play any games for sh*t at the moment - they ALL come up with the error at some point, no matter what I try on my x64 vista OS.

I paid approx £3k for my new uber PC - and it can't play games :( :(

If anyone has any advice that will allow me to play my games without getting this error - then it would be most appreciated.

PS - hello everyone btw ;)

11. linflas_taken

linflas_taken Member

GPU:
    2 X EVGA 8800GTX
    Use the 158.45 driver version, it is the only one that seems to work reliable for SLI in vista without the error, check out SLIzone, nvidia's official sli forum, there is a large thread there about the issue. NVIDIA states they have reproduved the error, but weeks later and still no fix.

wish I had better news, but I am in the same boat

12. ender7074

ender7074 Active Member

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800GTX 768MB
    Same thing...

I've tried most of the fixes too and am having no luck. My uber gaming rig is now a very expensive paperweight. Not exactly what I pictured when I built it. MS and Nvidia need to get the thumb out and get a fix to us or :behead:

13. alucard_x

alucard_x Member

the 158.45 worked well for me. I was getting this error with the 162.22's in ET:QW.

Abit IP35, 8800gts 320mb, no SLI.

14. KillerCam

KillerCam New Member

that's right. i'm sitting here wondering whether i should clean the hard drive and run XP again, or wait until nVidia/Microsoft get a solution for this huge problem.
    the problem has already got so bad (for me) that when i start a game (or even the screensaver!!!) the screen goes black, and after a minute or so the pc restarts automatically... excellent. i hate it when i can't play any of my games!!! and no idea how long we all have to wait for a decent and proper solution :bang:

15. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    Hi and welcome to guru.Nice rig same as mine and same problems the fix for me is the 158.45 drivers im on vista 32 bit.All drivers since the 158.45s have had this driver stopped responding error for me.

16. Waylander

Waylander Guest

158.45s are the ONLY driver that I can run SLI under.
    Anything else gives me driver not responding error.
    games fall over, just bimbling about in explorer gives it.. machine is virtually unusable...

17. GamingN00b

GamingN00b New Member

GPU:
    Gainward 8800 Ultra (x2) SLi
    Thanks for the various answers peeps - I emailed Nvidia, and they recommended the 158.19 - gonna try that and the 158.45's - I'll no doubt keep you updated......

18. khaydin

khaydin New Member

GPU:
    BFG Geforce 8800 GTS 640mb
    Old thread but I was having the same "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" problem that most people in this thread were having. It happened yesterday, I'd been running Vista SP1 x64 for about a month with no problems. Then yesterday I decided to overclock my computer a bit.

Well after lots of trial and error (lots of bsods/crashing etc) I found the limits of my cpu/fsb/ram and a nice overclock. Somewhere during the overclocking something got messed up and this problem started happening to me, anything 3D would cause that error to happen over and over. So thinking something in Vista got corrupted I ran chkdsk and SFC, but nothing was corrupted. So just for the hell of it I reinstalled vista x64 again with sp1. Installed and opened up the game again got the error again just like before.

So what did I do to fix this? I turned the computer off, pulled the power cord, reset the cmos using the jumper on the motherboard and powered the system back up. After I was back in windows I open up the game again and play it for 2 hours and no more errors. So then I restart again and reapply my overclock and try the game again, 2 more hours and everything is still working fine, no errors! I figure at some point in my overclocking the bios was corrupted or i inadvertantly changed some setting that causes this.

So, if you're still having this issue try clearing your bios/cmos and see if it does anything for you.

19. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    i started having the same issue after i installed the 174.70 drivers 2 days ago. im really tired of this error.. has been almost a full year and nobody fuc***kin cares nor Nvidia and neither Microsoft.

hopefully Microsoft will release today XP SP3 so i can go back..

20. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Setting my CPU clocks back to default (1.8mhz) has helped I hope. No nvlddmkm crash in FEAR for at least an hour and a half. Removing other versions of nvlddmkm.sys from the file repository did not help.

If under clocking is the help for my system I am most disappointed. My old 8800GTS 640mb ran flawlessly with my clocked system!!!
    Will revert back to XP with my system overclocked but minus the DX10 experience. Just booked Assassin's Creed.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008