Vista: "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered"

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by NeoElNino, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Maliciouz

Maliciouz New Member

GPU:
    Inno3D GeForce 9800GTX+
    My setup : vista ultimate 64x | E8400@3.6 | 4Gb PC2-6400 ocz ram (4-5-4-15) | 9800GTX+ | Abit P5K Pro fsb@1600

I have been trying a ****load of nvidia Forceware drivers:
    182.06 ( trying this one when writing this reply )

Keep in mind I don't update on top of the old one.
    Step 1 : remove both nvidia driver and physx, if there is one
    Step 2 : boot up in safe-mode
    Step 3 : use driversweeper and clean everything, physx,nvidia display drivers
    Step 4 : reboot
    Step 5 : disable any antivirus and install the new drivers.

To name a few games that randomly lock-up with a sound loop:
    Call of duty: world at war
    Flatout:ultimate challenge
    Call of duty 4 : modern warfare
    GTA IV
    Burnout paradise
    Fallout 3
    ...the list goes on.

Never seem to lock-up:
    Dead Space
    Tomb Raider : underworld
    Silent hill : homecoming

Software or a hardware issue ????

also, could this be related to ram/voltage, it was set to 2.10.

Trying now 2.12 but I doubt that will do the trick :(

2. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    i started gettin this nvlddmkm error a few days ago while playing farcry 2 then css started doin it too ... weird as it was fine before .. i seem to have fixed farcry 2 using the 182.08 whql and the .inf from the 182.50 as my gtx275 would not otherwise be supported, just finished an hour of farcry2 and no nvlddmkm crashes :) .. fingers crossed its fine for now. only other games i tested are css and it ran fine and played bs:pacific and although that game did crash it seems to be a game error cuz i had this with numerous drivers and no nvlddmkm errors or bsod's are shown

3. Airwalk

Airwalk Member

GPU:
    8800 GT 512
    I'm having this same problem on windows 7? you think this patch works for windows 7 as well?
    :3eyes:

4. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    I've been getting this with Killing Floor.

I'll start the game, play for about 5-10 minutes, then the screen goes black for 10 seconds or so. When the driver recovers, I can play again, and it won't do it again for the play session. Strange.

When I used to have this problem with my old 8800's, once it happened, I'd be screwed until I rebooted.

5. lysaer

lysaer Master Guru

GPU:
    4 x 780ti
    i was doing a lot of messing around to see if i could recreate this problem, the only consistent time i could get it to flawlessly perform the nvlddmkm error was if i ran a card without a heatsink.

which leads me to believe it is a heat related problem

6. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    Not in my box. All temps are cool. :bang:

7. Airwalk

Airwalk Member

GPU:
    8800 GT 512
    Ya this is completely had to do with a heat issue. I had this prorblem because one of my heat sinks slipped off my south bridge...:3eyes:

8. Maliciouz

Maliciouz New Member

GPU:
    Inno3D GeForce 9800GTX+
    What system are you running and is it 64 or 32 bit ?

also, the same question goes for the one you were quoting :)

9. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II

thats wat i thought ... i decided for the hell of it to turn my fan upto 80% and guess wat ... no nvlddmkm errors even with 185 series drivers

10. SkylineGTR

SkylineGTR New Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX285 OC2
    Hi.

I have a BFG GTX285 OC2, and I can't play any game.
    A few seconds after I start playing, the game crashes and I'm redirected to the Desktop. I can see the warning icon near the clock, saying that the "nvlddmkm stopped responding and has recovered", and then it goes back to the game and a few seconds after crashes again. It's a loop and never stops. It keeps crashing.

At first I was having BSODs of nvlddmkm. I've sent my graphic card to RMA two times. This is the 3rd and I'm still having problems so I just don't know if I'm really unlucky or the problem is not hardware.

My graphic card is an overcloked edition (OC2). If I underclock it with EVGA Precision to GTX285 default clocks it works fine. But, I want to use what I've paid for, the OC2 clocks!

I recently installed Windows 7, and I'm still having the same problems.

I really need help with this. What could be the problem?
    Drivers, SO, VGA, Motherboard?...

My PSU is a Corsair HX-620W. I think it's more than enough to this graphic card. I just don't know if the problem could be the motherboard or drivers.

11. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Although the PSU should be able to handle your system theoretically, I'd recommend getting a better one, regardless, SkylineGTR.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Wow, and people in the ATI Driver section claim nVidia's drivers are perfect. The causes I've seen for this error are as follows: Unstable overclocks, faulty GPU, conflicts (software or hardware level), lacking sufficient power. These are the only causes I've seen for this problem. I'm not saying the driver can't cause it, but I've yet to see a case where I can clearly see that the driver is solely at fault. If the driver was the sole cause of the problem, we should be well beyond page 24 in this thread. I haven't experienced this issue since dumping my 9600GT back in July...but it's cause for the error was a faulty GPU. For those running 9600GT's that get the infamous "black screen"....this is the error message for that problem. The GPU simply doesn't respond to the driver restarting.

13. damnit72

damnit72 Member

GPU:
    2x8800GTs | 5770
    I had this error on and off for a long time, then I didn't have it at all for a long time, now I am getting it again.
    I don't think its hardware or heat related in my machine as I have 2 x 8800GT's in SLi which both have OEM cooling fans (one Zalman and one DuoOrb) which is keeping them well below 60ºC.
    Also, up until last week I had maybe one occurrence of this in the last 2 or 3 months, then last week I upped to Vista 32bit SP2 and boom ... major stutters with my graphics and two of these damn things in a week.

In my case ... I think its defo Vista that is killing things round my house, and I am very hacked off cos I thought I was clear of it :bang:

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Vista has been a problem for nVidia since it's release....causing problems with SLI from the onset. I would tend to agree that Vista is more than likely, at least contributing to the problem. Given that nVidia and ATI are both having the same problem....I still have a hard time condemning the drivers. I take great care to ensure my systems are 100% stable. If the drivers were in fact the problem...graphics stability would not be possible running them.

15. Maliciouz

Maliciouz New Member

GPU:
    Inno3D GeForce 9800GTX+
    I setup fan profiles and schedulers so now the gpu always runs @ 54°c idle fan 50RPM, it used to run @ 60°c idle with fan around 35-40RPM

I also tweaked the card a little bit: memory clock was 2300 and core clock 720mhz

Now it's 2200 and 738mhz

Stock numbers as far as I know:
    http://www.ultimatehardware.net/nvidia/inno3d_geforce_9800_gtx+.htm

let's see if this changes anything...

16. sg72

sg72 Member

GPU:
    nVidea GTX285x2
    Got my new Rig a few weeks ago .
    Decided to dabble with Crysis. Utelising SLI on my combo.

However. It doesn't matter which Upgrade/Hotfix/Settings/drivers/overclocking/underclocking/Fansetting. I use.
    I still get "The message "and BSOD at random intervals.

Has nobody got to the bottom of this yet?

I read about a registry fix. But that was posted 2years ago!

Surely that isn't still the way to go?

Single play on one card in old games is no problem. Only on SLI.

:bang:

17. Mayhem1035

Mayhem1035 New Member

GPU:
    nVidia geforce 800gt
    I'm so frustrated like many of you. I purchased a Dell XPS 630i with nVidia Geforce 8800 GT cards in SLI and had great luck with it until 2 weeks ago. I noticed my machine beginning to really slow down so I decided to wipe the drive and reinstall everything. Now I get "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" every time I try to play games like Crysis or World of Warcraft. If anyone has a fix I'm open for suggestions. I've visited several forums and have not had any luck with any of the "fixes".

All drivers current.
    Vista with latest patches.
    Tried older video drivers.
    Updated chipset driver.
    Tried adjusting power settings in BIOS.

:bang: :biggun:

18. Blaise

Blaise Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA
    The only time I get this is when I push the core of my GTX 260 over 725MHz.

19. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    I don't OC my video cards or memory. Only my CPU, and I only went from 2.66ghz to 3.2ghz.

I have PLENTY of power, and everything is running really cool. Everything is seated well and clean.

I think it's a failure to communicate and remedy the problem, between Nvidia and MS.

Everyone consumer knows about this issue. There are huge threads about it in damn near any game/hardware forum, yet I've yet to see much more than a whisper from Nvidia and MS.

Is that not odd to anyone else?

20. SquareSoft0

SquareSoft0 Guest

Take off the overclock