Vista: "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered"

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by NeoElNino, Jun 30, 2007.

1. ortucis

ortucis Active Member

GPU:
    AORUS 1060 Extreme
    If you are using SP-1 then the fix is already installed (for this problem). I have read on a lot of sites how this fix is pretty much useless and this problem still comes up after SP-1 and how MS has another fix for it in SP-2. But then again, I am waiting for Windows 7 (don't have this problem anymore as well). :p

2. Lyla

Lyla Banned

GPU:
    Try lowering clock rates and timings of every motherboard settings, this error just means your computer has an unreliability while doing heavy 3d stuff, this can come from 100s of sources, that is why there are so many solutions and so many symptoms.

A computer that works fine may not when adding a higher wattage GFX card, it puts more pressure on the motherboard, power supply etc etc.

If it occurs randomly and in multiple 3d software then it is more likely to be hardware than software and as such, you are best to remove or swap or lower clock rates, increase voltages etc. to try to find out which area of your computer is showing the weakness.

3. SquareSoft0

SquareSoft0 Guest

This post is the best post

4. BigJ

BigJ Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 260 216
    This is happening on my brand new system, only on City of heroes, though. Left 4 dead runs fine but CoH seems to do this at random intervals.

5. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    +1

Agreed, its a weakness in da system that only the user himself can find out. I think my issue got fixed when i got a new PSU last year & with a combination of new Vista drivers and additional memory for this PC.

6. BigJ

BigJ Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 260 216
    Hotfix applied...everything is working fine.

7. LEXX911

LEXX911 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 950
    Dying hardware my butt. I have non of these symptom with the driver 169.44 for some reason. Underclocking doesn't do anything.

8. hey_moe

hey_moe Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga 295 GTX / 1792MB
    I have been getting this error on XP,Vista and Windows 7.....if I format the HD that the OS is on all is well but once I try and raise or lower the video card screen setting from that point on I get nothing but BSOD until I wipe out the drive. I have replaced the ,MB,CPU,Processor,1200 PS, Memory...went from the 8800GTX to the 280 series.Even after removing the MB and trying it on a piece of wood same crash. I have even gone as far as to remove all HD's except for the one that has the OS on it, all USB connections and firewire. All memory except for 1 stick, sound card everything I could think of and still once I changed the screen setting it crashed...I have been nuts over this...lol 3000.00 later I still have the problem. I got hugh bumps all over my head from banging it against the wall.:bang:

9. MetalDream

MetalDream Member

GPU:
    Bfg GTX285
    i´ve didnt try this one...

but you could..

so
    run vista as admin
    on search go to advanced search
    tic the "include non-indexed, hidden, and sistem files..."
    see which files you have ...
    at least 7 files with the same name should apear.
    my guess is that as vista allways tries to bring back de "default" file.
    something as "7.15.10.9686" version
    so rename all nvlddmkm.sys listed files to nvlddmkm.sys.old.
    then remove the current drivers from vista.
    first from Add an remove programs and then run the driver sweeper
    enter safe mode and run the driver sweeper again
    then try to install the latest drivers
    see if it works.

"A T T : as i said i didn't try it, so i dont know what happens wen you rename all the files,
    if you are thinking "format, format, format ##"%#%$!"$"!$$& " at least you could try one more,
    time as you were going deep on it "

hope it helps

10. MetalDream

MetalDream Member

GPU:
    Bfg GTX285

11. H-Ackermans

H-Ackermans Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX550Ti
    I haven't had this error on Windows 7 coming from build 7000 to 7048 - 7057 and now 7068. I use SLI 9600GTs and have 179.43 and now 181.71 as driver.

Perhaps using the Vista drivers can still cause the error under Win7 but the wddm1.1 drivers do not?

12. hey_moe

hey_moe Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga 295 GTX / 1792MB
    I gyess after pulling out my hair ( bald now ) and formating and retinstalling the OS so many times I thought the ball bearings would wear out first on all the HD's I decided to under clock the memory as someone else suggested. This solved my problem. Kinda makes me sick that I have good memory and now I gotta underclock the memory to get my pooter to work right,:bang:

13. SquareSoft0

SquareSoft0 Guest

Could be that the memory isn't good. Or that that northbridge couldn't support the bandwidth. I would run memtest86 without the downclock and see if it's received any errors after 24 hours of testing.

14. hey_moe

hey_moe Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga 295 GTX / 1792MB
    You might be right on the memory not being able to handle the bandwidth. I order 4 gig of gaming memory thay was suggested in the Asus forum. Should be in sometime this week, it is the only thing I haven't replaced.

15. AQUILES

AQUILES Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I have this same trouble... :(

16. PNeV

PNeV Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    The only scenario this happens to me in is when im playing In The Groove PC (a better version of Dance Dance Revolution). Its hardly taxing, but its the only time I see the mentioned error. All the big games run fine. Trying to run the hotfix says its not needed, so I guess I already have it.

17. Adrian_D

Adrian_D Member

GPU:
    BFG 9800GTX+ OC 512MB
    Hi..

I have a BFG 9800 GTX+ OC video card. nd i started getting this gpu heat issue..
    while palying games like Crysis warhead and RaceDriver Grid, after playin for about 5 minutes,
    the gpu temp goes above 85c. Ive set the gpu fan to auto through Evga Precision tool, But even the
    fan speed increases the temp goes up, and cannot be controlled, it just increases,
    only thing i can do is set the fan to 100, then the temps will increase and remain at 85c or it will go passing 90c.
    This happens only for crysis, Grid and Assassins creed sometimes(according to what i have played upto now),
    but games like burnout paradise, Fear 2 are working fine even at full load with temps around 70-75c..
    Is there any solution for this heat issue? im using the latest drivers 182.50.

Thanks,
    Adrian

18. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    I suggest you start a separate thread for your problem, Adrian_D. :)

(This potential heat issue, which you are talking about, has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.)

19. evilpiggehz

evilpiggehz New Member

GPU:
    nvidia 9800gt 512mb
    Help :s

I've got the same kind of problems, brand new pc 9800gt asus p5e deluxe mobo, intel core 2 quad 3ghz, 4gb ram OS: windows xp 32bit. I tried the fix mentioned in earlier posts to try take out a few sticks of ram. I tried but it didn't fix the problem. Still crashing/freezing within about 5-50mins playing CoD4, Rogue spear, and a few other games. Works fine on World of Warcraft 60fps constantly in windowed mode no problems.

If anyone knows of any fixes available i'd be very grateful, btw im running the most up to date nvidia drivers, have tried previous versions and none seem to fix the freezing/random restarts. :(

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Steve

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  20. Setanta747

Setanta747 Member

GPU:
    GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB
    ... or does it?

Running Windows XP Pro SP3. I'm only really playing rFactor these days, but I get this error. It only just started recently, and wasn't coming up when I first installed the game. I have no idea what changes occurred, but I think I had to change some settings in the BIOS...

I had been running my Q6600 at 2.8GHz (air cooling) with my 1066MHz-rated RAM running at that speed. Now I'm running the CPU at stock 2.4GHz with the RAM at 800MHz. I can't actually remember how to change the RAM speed in BIOS and be able to have it boot up properly.

Anyway, I don't know if that's the culprit. I might take a look at the gfx card to see if it's still seated properly.

Last edited: May 13, 2009