Vista: "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered"

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by NeoElNino, Jun 30, 2007.

1. flyinfinn2

flyinfinn2 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX260 216sp
    Well, i have only 3 games in my PC:

rFactor, FS2004 and FSX

in FS2004 and FSX i never, never had this problem, only in rfactor, a lot of times.

Yesterday, i´ve disabled nHancer for rfactor, so i setup AA and AF inside the game itself. After more than 800 laps in different circumstances, the problem is gone... i dont know if im lucky, or rfactor engine dont like 16SAA combined, or something, but now, it seems to work.

Like always, after posting this message, i will get the error again hahahaha.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  2. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    Just goes to show you that we're paying premium $$ for half-a$$ hardware/software. I've been to quite a few sites with huge threadnaughts about the same issue. Somewhere down the line I think it's just a huge blame game between the hardware manufacturers and M$.

3. BoudahXL

BoudahXL Member

GPU:
    GTX295 BFG
    If Micro$haft had some balls they would drop support for archaic hardware architecture. I say start from scratch build a brand new kernel and OS, I mean if one company in the world has the resource to revolutionize the computer industry it has to be M$, but no. There you have the biggest proof that it's all about your $$$ into their pocket.

M$ could have made Vista and Windows7 64bit only and push the industry forward...

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Not everyone has a need for the latest hardware with lots of memory, e.g. people running PCs in the office, so it would be stupid to abandon support for 32-bit operating systems even with newer operating systems. 64-bit software doesn't run that much faster than 32-bit software anyway, the only real need to move up to a 64-bit operating system is to have access more than 4 GB of RAM.

5. Napster

Napster Master Guru

GPU:
    Dual Nvidia GTX980Ti SLI
    Well i found the problem and it was 1 of my GTX280's failing. Tested it in another machine and almost every attempt to load a game the system would lock up with a distorted colored image. Gonna RMA on Monday.

6. ics3s

ics3s New Member

GPU:
    BFG 9800GX2 1Gb
    i think i solved my problem no error for 3 weeks
    OC-ed:
    CPU Q6600 form 2,4 @2,5
    RAM 798mhz@834mhz and 2.1V
    GPU 600@620/1000/1040
    it works perfect now
    it think the main problem is compatibility between CPU and RAM

7. jumjumski

jumjumski Member Guru

GPU:
    mobility 4570
    I have the same situation here,before 180.xx i was able to push my card to 730/1050 without a single problem,now the max stable overclock im getting is 680/980,with only 5mhz after that the problem is starting to show up.

8. SquareSoft0

SquareSoft0 Guest

If only something could explain a card becoming weaker over time during overclocks. Like perhaps a dying card.

9. LEXX911

LEXX911 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 950
    CPU and Ram incompatible my ass. Try installing Xp and you will not be getting the same problem.

Vista + Video driver is the problem.

10. ics3s

ics3s New Member

GPU:
    BFG 9800GX2 1Gb
    at least for me it solved the problem.i heard many people that OC-ed and the problem stopped

11. SquareSoft0

SquareSoft0 Guest

And as I've explained before, only Vista has the driver failsafe for stressed hardware. This is a feature to let you know that something is wrong and you need to fix it. This could be bad voltage or timings, but a majority of the time this indicates dying hardware

12. dominant1

dominant1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    My 4 year old 8800gtx super-clocked model died yesterday after 4 years of hard core gaming nearly every day. Vista let me know before i tested it to confirm. I bought a bfg gtx 260 oc for $237.00, and all is well...Vista now is better then xp.....and windows 7 will easily surpass both.

13. Vyyrus

Vyyrus Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTX
    I think its just a driver conflict with newer drivers. I reverted back to 163.75 and no more crashes. I am happy now that I don't have to rma my 8800gtx. Maybe they corrupted the g80 drivers somehow. Who knows?

14. tommcd64

tommcd64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Quadfire 2 4870 X2's
    That is a generic error just like it is for ati. So some things will fix the issue for some people but not others. What is needed is a database of what fixes actually worked for people so that others can try them.

15. ThreeJaw

ThreeJaw New Member

GPU:
    (2x) XFX GTX260 Core 216
    I agree. I totally thought Vista was the issue with my new build (my last post on page 22), but XP was giving me the same problem, only without the nvlddmkm message at desktop. Instead, it would just lock up. Turned out, one of my GPUs must have not been making a good connection through the PCIe bus. A little wiggling of the cards and BAM! NO NVLDDMKM!! I pulled my hair out for a MONTH with this!

16. KTT

KTT New Member

GPU:
    Palit 9800GT
    I have had this problem with NV6600 and with new NV9800GT + BSOD.
    I raised the RAM voltage - +0.05V - to 2.65V /DDR3200/. Clean instal Vista x64 + all updates /without NV driver/. Install latest NV driver and I have no problems. The videocard and CPU are overclocked.
    Don't overcklock PCIe bus - =100 MHZ, don't turn on PEG /Asus/ or something else wich will overcklock your video card for you.
    I don't understand where was the problem, but I think it was the "PEG".

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  17. Skatchoo

Skatchoo New Member

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8600 GT 256MB
    I am having this problem with my new rig as well. I have only been playing older games i.e. CS Condition Zero, Half Life, RTCW, etc.. perhaps that is a cause of the problem?

I get this error only one in a while, after playing for maybe an hour +. Other than that I never see it.

That said, this for me is more of an annoyance than a hindrance. My computer works fine outside of these games.

I am running the newest drivers. I am not overclocking anywhere. My CPU ranges from around 41C idle to 65Cish while under load.

I haven't tried any newer games yet, but I'm curious if any of you have any input on my situation.

Thanks!
    Skatchoo

18. Jazcash

Jazcash New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 8400 GS / 256MB
    First time I've been experiencing this error. I get it randomly whilst I'm playing a non demanding game even with all gfx settings on minimum.

I've changed PSU with high wattage and it exceeds the minimum by 100W, downloaded 2 Vista Hotfixes and updates which apparently solve this issue. They do not.I've disabled DEP, set all NVIDIA Control Panel settings to minimum and run Vista with the classic theme. None of these things work.

I've read countless forum posts and yet all seem to give different reasons for the cause, and thus, different solutions. Last thing I have to try is taking the GPU and giving it a good clean or installing a new OS. Somebody please shed some light on this topic.

19. movingincircles

movingincircles New Member

GPU:
    nVidia 9600GT
    nvlddmkm solution!!!

i've started a website about this, collecting ALL OF THE AVAILABLE SOLUTIONS!!!!
    http://www.nvlddmkm.com
    Check it!

20. Nedo

Nedo New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 GTS (640)
    Cant install fixes from microsoft site... 64 bit or 32... he is telling me that this is not for my OS
    I am using Vista Ultimate 64bit... waht is the problem ? o_O