Vista: "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered"

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by NeoElNino, Jun 30, 2007.

1. BlackShogun

BlackShogun Active Member

GPU:
    Chaintech GF8800GTS 512MB
    Damn long thread this one...so many intermittent problems and unsolved one with this kind of errors.
    I got this error too a while back, but luckilly it's purely because of over heating and OCing, I cranked the fan to always 70% with my mild OC of 756/2200, and the error stops. I use 8800GTS 512MB G92, spec on my profile.

2. Barton C++

Barton C++ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk GTX460 1GB @ SLI
    No wonder EVGA recommends older Raid drivers for Vista:
    DriverVer=04/19/2007,5.10.2600.0992 in their download page http://www.evga.com/Support/Drivers/default.asp

15.23 Raid drivers:
    DriverVer=08/18/2008,10.3.0.42

My 2nd Vista install using new mobo (750i) and never experienced worse instability...I'm sure hardware is OK, just something with drivers. With latest 181.22 WHQL I even today had BSOD when moving Paint.exe window... had half dozen BSODs already in few days only-

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  3. virtualex

virtualex Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870-800/4400
    http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=39069

for some reason direct link does not work, go back to Radeon Support - PC ---> 737-27116: Radeon™ Series - ATIKMDAG has stopped responding error messages.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  4. Napster

Napster Master Guru

GPU:
    Dual Nvidia GTX980Ti SLI
    Put a 120mm fan in front of my cards and now temps are down to 90+ before they where hitting the 105 safety down clock. So far was able to run crysis for a hour and still no crash.
    Will report back tonight after i have tested 3d mark and grid as they also crashed alot.

5. ics3s

ics3s New Member

GPU:
    BFG 9800GX2 1Gb
    i see that in vista 64 the ram is the problem
    i made a mem test and its ok.
    i have a Q6600 CPU and 4x1Gb OCZ DDR2 800Mhz,9800GX2 and PSU 750W can it be a ram problem?incompatible CPU and ram??

6. ortucis

ortucis Active Member

GPU:
    AORUS 1060 Extreme
    I had this error on Vista x64 (SP-1) with my 6800GS after Fallout 3 crashed the system few hundred times and killed the card (overheating most likely). Anyways, on 9800GTX+ I don't get the error anymore.

Also, I set the dc fan to 50-65-75 values using EVGA Precision tool up from default 35. At 35 fan speed card would slowly reach 60°-75°. With 75 speed I reach 60° max in every game (playing all on Highest quality at 1280x1026) and when not playing any game temperature idles at 43-44° for me (it was about 55 on default).

So anyways, this is the reason why I got this error and solved it. It was not the ram (I plugged in and out every module of my 6GB ram) or PSU (though I upgraded now so I'll never know :p).

EDIT: Oh right, I replaced the PSU first on the 6800GS and was still getting the error, so it was definitely not the PSU but the card itself.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  7. WHAT21A

WHAT21A New Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260 OC2
    I Turned off Physx in the nVIDIA control panel and havn't had this problem since. Its been 2 weeks now without a problem and before i was getting crashes once a day at least.

8. c3k

c3k Member

ics3s,

Yeah, it MAY be a ram problem. This TDR warning (whether ATI or nvidia GPU cards are installed) is a generic warning. Or, at least that what it seems to me after investigating it for a year and a half.

I've got a q6600 on an Abit IP35pro running 8gb of ram. My evga 8800gtx is at stock speeds. I've got fans out the wazoo. I've NEVER had a GPU temp of over 65.

Initially I had the nvlddmkm error very frequently. After increasing my cooling, nothing changed. Reducing my q6600 to stock freq's did not help. I did not suspect my ram since it had passed every single stress test I could throw at it.

Finally, I increased the voltage to my ram to a value beyond what I thought I needed.

I have not had the nvlddmkm error since then. (At least 6 months.)

It seems that this error code can cover many different problems. You've just got to dig into what may be needing to be adjusted in you system: PSU, clocks, temps, voltages.

Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  9. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    Its funny,I had this problem when I first installed vista a year ago,but since I built new computer and installed vista again a month ago have never seen it again.:grin:

10. BoudahXL

BoudahXL Member

GPU:
    GTX295 BFG
    I dunno what to say. All my setup run though burn in tests (8 hours) and Futuremark Vantage without a single crash or error, memtest run for 4 hours not a single error.Each PC is connected through a 1200VA BackUPS.

680i(BFG)+8800GTX(SLI)(BFG)+2GB(OCZ), overclock, underclock, this and that, the only thing that would work is a specific RAM voltage and driver set(178.24 or 180.xx).***So, I tried 4 different cards, 2 different set of RAM stick, I have 2 PSU (one for mobo and one for the videocards), lots of different combos, same errors...***

680i(BFG)+GTX295(BFG)+4GB(Kingston) same problem same RAM voltages, still haven't found a stable configuration for this setup, so what gives(181.xx not working)?***So, I tried 4 different cards, 2 different set of RAM stick, I have 2 PSU (one for mobo and one for the videocards), lots of different combos, same errors...***

P5N-SLI + 8800GTX(BFG)+4GB(Kingston) same problem same RAM voltages, only drivers 178.75 works so far.

MSI K8N-SLI Diamond + 8800GTX(BFG)+3GB(Kingston), no problems at all, any drivers work so far.

Temperatures never exceed 80 Celsius (in some cases I have to manually adjust fan speed to be sure), so what's happening here?

11. Napster

Napster Master Guru

GPU:
    Dual Nvidia GTX980Ti SLI
    i only started to see these errors after the 180 series. but lately i haven't had any issues. Still cant figure out what is the cause though.

12. Barton C++

Barton C++ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk GTX460 1GB @ SLI
    weird... have had no real issues with my humble OC, never saw this bsod until today in ages:

1. All was OK using one particular OC/voltage settings etc - games could crash, but found solutions for them (l4d - multicore=disabled, still gives 75-80% cpu usage!)

2. Today I increased 50MHz to CPU OC...inc volts, loosen timings, many hrs Prime95 OK - got the crash i didnt want in-game :D
    3. reverted back to my trusty, fool proof OC ... 20min into Left4Dead Campaign....my first BSOD with this 6 weeks old install.

The ONLY recent changes:
    * just prior getting back to old trusty OC, i set back Vista page file size to original..I used 0.75 - 1.5GB for a few days
    * Steam has updated...(but not l4d)

13. SquareSoft0

SquareSoft0 Guest

You've been killing your hardware the whole time. Taking off your overclock does not revert any damage done to the system.

14. ThreeJaw

ThreeJaw New Member

GPU:
    (2x) XFX GTX260 Core 216
    I recently built a new rig using my old BFG8800GT's (SLI) until I got my GTX260's (SLI). I got the nvlddmkm error using both sets of cards on the new rig with Vista, 181.22, and identical hardware.

I used the 8800GT's on my old Asus M2N32SLI-Deluxe using XP and the SAME STICKS OF RAM, and never got the error. Also using 181.22

One thing I would like to point out is, I installed Vista over XP (formatted) and there were some weird files left over that werent in the windows.old folder. Kinda weird.

This narrows it down to:
    1. Faulty motherboard
    2. Bad CPU
    3. Installing Vista over XP (for some weird reason)
    4. Vista! (driver conflicts or whatever)

Ive been emailing nVidia reps back and fourth with possible solutions (it seems like they speak fluid english) but have had ZERO luck. I'll post with any fixes.

My last resort is to pay a pro with pro equipment to trouble shoot it (I have about 5 single hairs left to pull from my head).

The sad thing is, I really had high hopes for Vista seeing it has been out for a few years now. Thanks for the broken heart M$

15. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    Buy ATI Card and your stay out of troubles ;)

16. hernandez909

hernandez909 New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA Geforce 7600
    i have a Geforce 7600 and while i was playing a game i got the same problem..after the screen went black and didnt recover i turned my cpu off then on again but this time the flickering was happening on the desktop,and i didnt have anything open.now whenever i turn my cpu on it loads properly but the screen just goes black when im on the desktop, so my cpu is practically useless now..did this happen to anyone else?

17. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    lol when i created this thread 1-2 years ago, i never thought that i would created one of the biggest threads at Guru3D, 84,649 views :S

anyways, i havent gotten the nvlddmkm since i did a clean install of Vista integrated with SP1.. taht is 1 year ago. im using the 178.24 forceware and no trouble for now
    + make sure u get stable and up to date drivers for the audio drivers too.

18. Skylinee

Skylinee Member Guru

GPU:
    Windforce 780ti OC
    I started getting this error today aswell. The strange thing is that it only happens (so far), when windows initializes the screensaver. I've played for a long time without the error appearing. The screensaver does initialize, but instead of saying ''Windows Vista'', it says ''Windows could not initialize the screensaver'' hovering across the screen. Using vista64bit home basic.

Some error messages below

Problemsignatur
    Problemhendelsesnavn: LiveKernelEvent
    OS-versjon: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.2
    ID for nasjonal innstilling: 1044

Filer som beskriver problemet
    WD-20090208-2250.dmp
    sysdata.xml
    Version.txt

Vis en midlertidig kopi av disse filene
    Advarsel: Hvis et virus eller en annen sikkerhetstrussel forårsaket problemet, kan åpning av en kopi av filene skade datamaskinen.

Ekstra informasjon om problemet
    BCCode: 117
    BCP1: FFFFFA800FE174E0
    BCP2: FFFFFA60020271B0
    BCP3: 0000000000000000
    BCP4: 0000000000000000
    OS Version: 6_0_6001
    Service Pack: 1_0
    Product: 768_1

I know it's in norwegian, but it should be easy enough to understand.

19. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    haha I hope that was a really funny joke, I switched back to NVIDIA just because of how TERRIBLE ATI drivers are. I had a fresh install of Vista x64 with nothing but Chipset and Catalyst 9.1 and after the required restart the computer refused to ever boot until I system restored back in Safe Mode.

ATI Drivers are HORRIBLE, really the worst I've ever seen and many people agree with this (especially the people like me who have been on both sides (ATI/NVIDIA)).

I'll never buy another ATI card again if their drivers continue to stay like this. They were terrible in 2002 when I had a 9500 Pro and they are even worse now when I had 4850 Crossfire.

20. Kridian

Kridian Member

GPU:
    GTX 680 2GB
    Here's a new one!

Been playing Left 4 Dead flawlessly since it came out.

Today I decide to disable my Windows Firewall and guess what? F*#%ng driver stopped responding after 5 minutes of play!

Now what the hell is that about!?