Vista: "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered"

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by NeoElNino, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    I'm gonna try this litlte trick, I had this problem for more then one year now. I got a diffrent version of the problem though. It is error free when I run:

2x gpus +2 gbs ram
    1x gpu and 2+ gb ram (2-8 gb nps )

The error only presents itself when I run 2x gpus and 2+ gb (2-8 gb = problems with the classic bsod and nvldd 0x0114 or 0x0124 msg ).

Now I changed everything except the cpu and graphics card on my comp since I got it with no diffrence then a lighter wallet. I the only thing that is left is the graphics cards really, since I know the cpu is fine..but I havn't really worked out a thesis with the gfx cards yet since they both work flawless as one gpu, so thinking there is something going on whenever I use dubble gpus and exceed 2gbs of working memory, wich could be the DEP that prevents the hardware from doing certain things during operation ( freeing and allocating memory during gaming ).

/edit

Hmm, how do u change the value through DOS? or that isn't possible perhaps?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  2. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    No, you can't change it through DOS.

You can disable DEP in the BIOS, in case your BIOS supports this feature.

How to determine that hardware DEP is available and configured on your computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912923

3. Grayspawn

Grayspawn New Member

GPU:
    BFG 9600 GT OC2 512MB
    DEP can also be disabled from Win, it seems. Diggin up through the web i found this two solutions:

I. Disabling Data Execution Prevention (DEP)

"Run a command prompt as administrator. From the start menu, select "All Programs", then "Accessories" and right-click on the "Command Prompt" shortcut and choose "Run As Administrator". From here you can use the following command to disable Data Execution Prevention (DEP) with the following command:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

Keeping your command prompt open, run your setup or other process being stopped by DEP. Then, to turn it back on again, do the same and run the following:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn"

II. Disable Data Execution Prevention (DEP) completely - vista:

"Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    Under Pick a category, click Performance and Maintenance.
    Under or Pick a Control Panel icon, click System.
    Click the Advanced tab, and in the Startup and Recovery area, click Settings.
    In the SystemStartup area, click Edit.
    In Notepad, click Edit and then click Find.
    In the Find what field, type /noexecute and then click Find Next.
    In the Find dialog box click Cancel.
    Replace the policy_level (for example, "OptIn" default) with "AlwaysOff" (without the quotes).

WARNING: Be sure to enter the text carefully. Your boot.ini file switch should now read:

/noexecute=AlwaysOff
    In Notepad, click File and then click Save.
    Click OK to close Startup and Recovery.
    Click OK to close System Properties and then restart your computer.
    This setting does not provide any DEP coverage for any part of the system, regardless of hardware DEP support.

Verifying DEP is Disabled

Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    Under Pick a category, click Performance and Maintenance.
    Under or Pick a Control Panel icon, click System.
    Click the Advanced tab.
    In the Performance area, click Settings and then click Data Execution Prevention.
    Verify that the DEP settings are unavailable and then click OK to close Performance Settings.
    Click OK to close System Properties then close Performance and Maintenance."

Now, i must addmit i haven't tried it myself with those two solutions, so i guess its on your own risk! I disabled DEP from BIOS as i said in my earlier post.

Oh and btw, ive been playin' WoW for a week now on my lappy and all worked perfect :). Not a single BO ("Display Driver stopped responding, has successfully recovered"). So turning off DEP defnatly works! (at least for me it did :p)

4. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce

Hmm, I'm gonna try this... but I have trubble understanding what you actually have written in the description section, and on windows vitsa somepage they don't say how to disable it all together, only how to make x y z programs be allowed to function without the DEP.

I'm really hopefull this could solve my problem since, I have for quite some time suspected a OS bug that prevents the nvidida driver from executing certain tasks in the handling of memory when I use 2x 768 mb 8800 GTXs cuppled with ANYTHING above 2gb ram, 4-6-8 also tried 3-5-7 and with exactly the same results. If this doesn't work I'm putting the graphics cards as a physx card and try getting a bargain priced 280 GTX to have simular performance to what I have now.

/edit2

The guidelines or steps you provided is only true for Win XP, the Vista 64 bit home premium doesn't have the same options or layout as the one you described.

I'm trying to find a way to turn of the DEP for vista but havn't found one yet.

/edit3

Alright Have done some further investigations, and I found this:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/120778-dep-enable-disable.html

You can 100% turn of DEP through DOS in Vista x64 Home Premium, I just did and I'm now gonna test if there is any diffrence.

/edit4

Right tested it all yesterday and my problem still persists.

Makes me ponder...

Anyone who could just flat out point out what a computor does diffrently when this situations are true:

8800 GTX SLI ( diff brand and diff bios versions ) + 2x1gb (128 bits) ram = work

8800 GTX SLI (diff brand and diff bios ) + 1x2 gb (64 bits) ram = work

Single GPU 8800 GTXs (doesn't matter wich card I use of the two) + 4x1 gb (128 bits ) and 2x2 gb ram (128 bits ) = work

But when 8800 GTX SLI (diff brand diff bios ) + anything above 2gb ram = bsods, nvldd driver stopped responding ( eventually bsods if no reboot ).

What is diffrent here except from the total amount of video and system memory available?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009

5. mesterial

mesterial Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 295GTX (1792Mo)
    OH MY GOD, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING ALL THIS!!!!! :nerd:

Now all works perfectly...
    Note that I've done this AND some registry mod to aparently get rid of this nvddmkm sh*t :banana: :puke2:

Btw, DEP seems not to be a BIOS only feature, more like a CPU-BIOS feature. I thought it was a cool Intel feature... :bang:

(here are my reg mods:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\nvlddmkm]
    "ErrorControl"=dword:3

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\nvsvc]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\nvlddmkm]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\nvsvc]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\nvlddmkm]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\nvsvc]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers]
    "TdrDelay"=dword:00000005
    "TdrDebugMode"=dword:00000003

At least, it worked for me :) )

(there are no space is the reg keys, I don't know why they came!! :3eyes: )

Oh, I forgot to mention I'm running 185.20 drivers.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  6. SquareSoft0

SquareSoft0 Guest

You didn't fix it, you just removed the error reporting for the driver. Now your hardware failure will persist and most likely worsen without warning.

7. mesterial

mesterial Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 295GTX (1792Mo)
    I never had this error before Vista, and even more before my QX9650 (my previous CPU was an Athlon X2 4400+), so I hardly think it's a hardware failure...

8. mesterial

mesterial Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 295GTX (1792Mo)
    But anyway, you're right on one thing : it still doesn't work... :bang:
    So I must put the GPU fan on 90% and reduce the video mem by 20Mhz to avoid crashes, as I used to :)

9. SquareSoft0

SquareSoft0 Guest

This is your GPU overheating. Vista has a fail-safe feature to avoid damage to the card, XP on the other hand allowed hardware to die without notice.

10. mesterial

mesterial Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 295GTX (1792Mo)
    Not AT ALL : 82°C is NOT overheating on 8800 Ultra cards (ask anybody who has it), it can take up to 100°C, I tried once, the card security alerted me, but Vista didn't even whispered a thing....

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009

11. SquareSoft0

SquareSoft0 Guest

Whatever you say pal

12. mesterial

mesterial Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 295GTX (1792Mo)
    Did you ask at least???????:bang:

13. SquareSoft0

SquareSoft0 Guest

I have 2x 8800GTSs if you'd look at my panel. This is not a very healthy temperature for your model and it would seem your particular card is more sensitive to temps than others. Not all GPUs are created equal, in fact the process of making them requires that there be lower quality chips in the batch.

14. Napster

Napster Master Guru

GPU:
    Dual Nvidia GTX980Ti SLI
    Im having the same freakin problem now. display driver has stopped responding blah blah bah :(
    gotta luv it. Always happens when new gpu's come into the market from Nvidia. Same story with my 2x 8800 Ultra's in my other system. Both systems are running vista ultimate 64bit.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  15. mesterial

mesterial Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 295GTX (1792Mo)
    These are definitely not the same processors : 8800 Ultra = G80, 8800GTS = G82, inform yourself...

G80 is built for such temperatures, G82 might not, that's a fact...

16. mesterial

mesterial Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 295GTX (1792Mo)
    Try my 8800 Ultra's way : downclock the memory by 20Mhz and put the fan at least at 91% in games, that should do it :)

17. Napster

Napster Master Guru

GPU:
    Dual Nvidia GTX980Ti SLI
    Sweet will try that thanks. temps are pretty good though as i have a high rpm 120mm fan blowing between the cards. BTW these are the xxx edition so i may have to down clock a little more but ill post back soon.

Tested the Gtx280's in SLI and works fine soon as i use all 3 i get the Error. Next step install windows on another HDD

18. SquareSoft0

SquareSoft0 Guest

You're wrong, the 8800GTS 640 has a G80 and G82 revision; I bought mine before the G82 was released. Also the only difference with the G82 was that it unlocked more shader pipes.

19. Bobcat665

Bobcat665 New Member

GPU:
    BFG 9800 GTX+ OC 512mb
    Hi! My first post here. I gotta tell ya, I've had the most horrendous problems as of late with the "nvlddmkm" thing. :bang: I must have re-installed WinVista at least a dozen times since I bought my Asus P5N-T mobo because of all this. I didn't even have to use any type of 3D app or game at all to crash my system. All I had to do was just basic things like surf the web, install proggies, click around in win explorer, etc. Aftere a while I`d get a random lockup or an outright BSOD. Just crashes RANDOM! It didn`t matter what version vid driver I was using. I tried one driver after another and nothing friggin worked. :mad: And I wasn`t OCing or anything!

Some findings:

Using RAID drivers from nforce 15.23 is a very baaaaaaaad idea! :stewpid: It`s really weird that a RAID driver would have anything to do with the vid card driver but it is what it is... Using F6 drivers straight from the cd is what I had to do. Installing 15.23 over top after is fine afterward but using raid drivers straight from 15.23 is not good. The only way to get rid of a bad chipset driver install is to redo your windows install. No other way.

Updating BIOS willy nily is also a baaaaaaad idea. Ya, I know, we`ve all heard it; but it`s so true. Ya gotta watch which version you use with what proc. 1001 or 1106 works with q6600. Anything newer = disaster. Only use newer bios with newer chips.

Well, I hope I don`t get a whole lot more grief from my rig. If this helps anybody, cheers! :banana:

20. mesterial

mesterial Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 295GTX (1792Mo)