Vista: "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered"

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by NeoElNino, Jun 30, 2007.

1. kalispimenta

kalispimenta Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX @680X1030MHZ
    It does?????:bang:

2. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing, Sr7.

3. Ellisdee

Ellisdee Member

GPU:
    2x4870x2 1x8800 Ultra
    hmm very special problem have it sinc 6 month too thought fixed thousand times but now may be..... i will becarefully i think something works for me could play for some hours today without error at source engine i get it normale every 10 min to every min

but i also think the nvl bug for me is maybe diffrent than other ones cause im using 3 monitors with 2 gpus 1 8600 gs for monitor 2 and 3 and one 8800 ultra for primary screennow im using the lates driver with the new settings for occlusion and threded optimize...
    i nothing changed the only diffrence i set was at multi dislpay / gemischte gpu beschleunigung there i use now performance mode for one GPU and many displays

and now i could play for 2 horus without 1 error and this is not like i know it i got in 2 hours 20 or 30 nvl resets had to test tomorrow again
    its late here sry for ´hard writing ;) hope it helps some ppl but im not sure its too many pices that cook the bug i think and not always the same reason

one thing is now sure its not CRAPPY VISTA on windows 7 same bug exits lol hope the open beta helps to fix it for all

hmm 88 gtx on water my 88 ultra is on water too ^^ mabe they have a cold now running on 40°c ;)
    damn im so ****ing tired of this bug

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  4. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    Caution!!!

CAUTION!!! you get still "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered" or crash to reset at 5 or more times and these errors may damage videocard despite of non-overclock!!! because these errors abnormal may cause manufactures problems.
    you see http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=282940

5. Ellisdee

Ellisdee Member

GPU:
    2x4870x2 1x8800 Ultra
    sounds like a diffrent problem look for damaged capacitators i think had nearly the same effec on a card were i broke a capacitator
    in the last 6 month i think i had at least 500 nvlddmikm crashes and my card still makes good pictures nvlddmkm is not a hardware damage for me
    time to stress the gpu ^^ i hope i dont see the bug today

6. kalispimenta

kalispimenta Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX @680X1030MHZ
    Ricardo Brasil ou Portugal?

7. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    Portugal. lol :)

8. Ellisdee

Ellisdee Member

GPU:
    2x4870x2 1x8800 Ultra
    this hekped for me so far today in 4 hours playing 1h source engine and 3h gta4 only 1 nvl reset mabybe it helps others too a lilbit it dont fixs it buts its quite good now for me hope it stays like this but i dont thrust it this were too easy
    picture text is german
    driver 185.20
    os vista 64
    gpus 2
    screens 3

[​IMG]

9. pm55

pm55 New Member

GPU:
    Zotac 8800gt 512mb Gddr3
    When i first installed vista, i didn't have no problems but now after a year, i reinstalled i keep getting nvlddmkm error and tried tons of drivers but only 178.24 can keep it fairly normal. i'm going to do what another person proposed which is to underclock the memory and i am going to test it right now if it works.

10. Logical Error

Logical Error Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 570
    I have tried alot of things so far to fix this problem and nothing has worked. I have replaced RAM, underclocked GPU, same with RAM, updated drivers, did the "expand" method. I just dont know. Whats next on the list guys?

I did an expariment. I left C0D4 running all night in a self made game with my 9800gtx+. I woked up the next morning and found that i have crashed "nvlddmkm", which i knew i would have so no suprise there. I took that card out and installed my friends old 7900GS and did the same things. I woke up the next morning and found that i did not crash and the game was still running. 9800gtx+ i crashed, 7900GS i didnt. DOes this help at all?

11. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Is your 9800GTX+ from Gigabyte, Logical Error?
    Try to update it to the latest BIOS version (even if it's not from Gigabyte)...

12. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Thank god no :).

ATI Drivers are not perfect but this must be more anoying than anything else;p

13. Logical Error

Logical Error Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 570

Yes i have the latest BIOS update for my P5Q, and no its an Asus.

I put the 9800gtx+ back in last night, DL'd the 181,20 driver instead of the 185.20 that i had and i crashed with in 5 seconds of CoD4. Started my own game left it over night again and came back this morning with the nvlddmkm crash =(.

Here is my rig..

{Case} Antec 900
    {Power Supply} OCZ 600W
    {OS} Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit
    {MB} Asus P5Q P45 Chip Set
    {CPU} Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo (OC'd 3.6Ghz) w/ Zalman Fan
    {Ram} 2x2G Corsair XMS2 PC-8500 1066mhz 5-5-5-15 2.1v(currently at 1.8v)
    {G-Card} Asus 9800GTX+
    {HD} Western Digital 160G 7200rpm
    {Monitor} LG 22" LCD 1680X1050
    {Controls} Logitech wireless

14. Kridian

Kridian Member

GPU:
    GTX 680 2GB
    This Microsoft hotfix was posted in another nvlddmkm stopped responding thread that I can't find but here's the link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953186

You'll click the View and Request hotfix downloads link by the wrench at the top and they'll send you an email with the direct link to the hotfix. There is also a password in the email. I only had to use the first one.

UPDATE
    This hotfix DOES NOT FIX the problem! GRRRRRRRR! :chainsaw:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  15. artega

artega New Member

GPU:
    nvidia 8800 GTX
    Figures, the password I received doesn't work. lol

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009

16. TDZGamer

TDZGamer Member

GPU:
    GTX780 DCII OC/3GB
    Since this problem used to drive me insane before I will repeat what has been said several times.

This error can have many causes but the display driver gets the blame probably because it is memory intensive. Could be bad ram, hot graphics card, buggy drivers, hardware malfunction etc. or a combination!

The best bet is to underclock/downclock ram and graphics card first. Improve cooling and clean up drivers (driver sweeper works wonders if used correctly).

17. Grayspawn

Grayspawn New Member

GPU:
    BFG 9600 GT OC2 512MB
    Turn off DEP (Data Execution Prevention) from BIOS and your problem is solved! :D

Ok, this is my first post here :p and i hope ill help you all get rid of this irritating little problem (or whatever it is).

Now, on my main rig i never had this problem.. i have XP pro.. But, some months ago i got a brand new Lenovo IBM R61i that came with Vista Home instaled and a Intel 965 Express gfx onboard. Mainly i got this for my work, not play with.. but some World of Warcraft never gets old :p even when im on the run.

Problem is that i could not play this game at all.. i had blackouts after blackouts.."Display Driver stopped responding, has successfully recovered" :bang:, i had good or erm, variable fps but the blackouts made all the gaming on my lappy living hell.. :( I looked on the forums everywere.. no real solution so far.. Till i heard about DEP :D.

Last night i got rid of BLACKOUTS forever! :)) .. I updated my BIOS and i found the DEP - ON or OFF option under bios/security/memory tab :). Solved!

Tested with WoW with max detail... (normaly i had 1 BO at 10sec this way).. all worked like a nice dream instead :) ..

Now, what does DEP do really:

"Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a useful Windows Vista security feature that can prevent the execution of software in data memory locations and thus help to prevent malicious software from attacking and harming the system. This security tool needs to be configured before it can fully operate. Over time, this feature might also accidentally shut down legitimate processes of valid applications. Users can choose to activate the feature as security measure or disable it for certain reasons. Check out our previous post on how to turn on/off the Data Execution Prevention tool. If you are using others’ computer or for some reason want to verify whether the DEP feature is enabled or disabled, you can do so via the following steps:

Launch an elevated command prompt shell with administrative privileges and credentials. To do so, users need to log on to Windows Vista with a user account with administrator rights. Right click on the Command Prompt icon and select “Run as Administrator”

Execute the following command:

wmic OS Get DataExecutionPrevention_SupportPolicy

Press Enter.

Look at the number display on the screen. The number indicates the DEP status which reads as follows:

0 =AlwaysOff – DEP is disabled for all processes
    1 =AlwaysOn – DEP is enabled for all processes
    2 =OptIn – DEP is enabled for Windows system components and services (this is the default setting)
    3 =OptOut – DEP is enabled for all processes except for those Administrators identified"

..Oh and for those that have the BIOS option :) you know that to do.

Happy New Year Lads! :thumbup:

18. Grayspawn

Grayspawn New Member

GPU:
    BFG 9600 GT OC2 512MB
    Sorry for the double post :p - Just wanted to add that i tried also Warcraft 3, Neverwinter Nights and SunAge... all those games had BO's like hell for me.. and now i see none :) All works... very happy about it :grin2:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  19. g60force

g60force Guest

GPU:
    NV 1660Ti + 5850
    Can anyone confirm this for W7x32 :3eyes:

20. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    Disabling DEP does't fix it.
    and you known what its just the darn drivers.
    1 driver does't cause the issue the other 1 does.
    nvidia just dropping the ball on old cards.

my previous setup i finaly had it fulyl stable not a error in a month or so.
    yesterday i upgraded mainboard cpu ram.
    and ofc error after error.
    i can even force them to pop up by running world of warcraft on main screen and playing some movies on 2e screen.
    wich should work fully stable without issues....

edit: if now also tryit the update wich also does't work.
    playing movie + launching wow results into driver crash instantly.
    while if i just play games alone its stable

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009