Vista: "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered"

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by NeoElNino, Jun 30, 2007.

1. visine

visine Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming
    I had the same problem, I googled some and found out that you should put your power to "high performance" when I did that. I never saw the problem again.

2. Grindmasterfles

Grindmasterfles Member

GPU:
    Asus Nvidia 8800 GTX
    I am starting to think that my graphics card could be broken or something. after reinstalling vista the same problem occured when I installed the latest driver. 169.44 did not work either. I am really confused and I also can´t get a hold of any hotline that could help me. It is always the same - they blame other parts of the system.

3. Grindmasterfles

Grindmasterfles Member

GPU:
    Asus Nvidia 8800 GTX
    holy smokes? exactly the same problem? are you talking about the motherboard setup here? please reply, thx.

4. LEXX911

LEXX911 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 950
    What Vista are you using? 32 or 64? Do you have SP1 install? Not sure what you mean by your monitor going into digital and analog mode. Digital means DVI and analog means VGA connection.

Have you try resetting your motherboard bios? Make sure that your video card is using the PCIe option or whatever that's appropriate. How about taking out 2 ram and using only 2GB or memory?

Hopefully it's not the conflict between Nvidia and Creative drivers.

5. Grindmasterfles

Grindmasterfles Member

GPU:
    Asus Nvidia 8800 GTX
    I mean that: the screen goes blank ->Then in the upper left of my Samsung Syncmaster 226BW a box of the screen interface flashes that shows analog then digital analog again and then digital again (rest of the screen is blank) -> Sceen goes into standby!

The computer is still running, it is just the damn screen that gets no signal anymore.

It was a 32bit Vista with all Vista updates installed.

I have only updated the Bios after the problem occured. Not restored it. I will try that now.

I have a creative audio card inside - do you know about any problems in correlation with that?

Btw: I have called the german support which seems to be pretty **** and they simply told me to send the card in...But I have basicly 3-4 weeks of vacation right now and I wanted to play the new GTA4...so that´s not an option...yet. Also because I expect them to find nothing send it back and me having the same problem again - I guess you guys are familiar with that kinds of procedures.

p.s.: is there a program I can use to test my graphics card without benchmarking? just for hardware funktioning or something?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  6. Grindmasterfles

Grindmasterfles Member

GPU:
    Asus Nvidia 8800 GTX
    HOLY MOLY, I just deleted the creative drivers and guess what. It is working so far. I don´t ****ing get it. root for me that this keeps working.

7. Grindmasterfles

Grindmasterfles Member

GPU:
    Asus Nvidia 8800 GTX
    Okay. So I have the average nvlddmkm error ... again.

8. Bravo

Bravo Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 9600GT 512MB
    I have that error too...after i installed GTAIV. I get it when I play GTAIV. But what also happens is that i get random artifacting sometimes while in the windows environment, and sometimes even in the boot menu. I reformatted still the same problem. The wierd thing is, that it doesn't always artifact...and that when i open Rockstar Games Social Club, the driver stops responding. I have 180.84 installed.

Video Card:
    Core Temp: 53 degrees Celcius
    Idle Processor: 52 degrees Celcius
    Processor with 100% load: 68 degrees Celcius <--- that too high?

I'm running out of ideas of what to do. I updated Bios, did a MemTest, did a Prime95 stress test...no errors. Oh and no errors what so ever when I play Far Cry 2... I'm so confused!

9. shfire2000

shfire2000 New Member

GPU:
    Radion 4670HD 1gig
    FIX - After reading this quote above I decided to check my windows appearance settings. It was on Vista Basic. After switching to Vista Aero the, "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered" problem stopped!
    :bigsmile:

10. Bravo

Bravo Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 9600GT 512MB
    Ok, I think my video card is defect. With the onboard graphics :cry: there are no problems at all. Going to use the warranty to get a new graphics card.

11. Grindmasterfles

Grindmasterfles Member

GPU:
    Asus Nvidia 8800 GTX
    don´t do it. I was about to do the same but it won´t help probably.

EDIT: When I read the commentary about aero and classic something clicked and I realized that I switched the windows design yesterday and afterwards the troubles started again. I have always been using classic! guess what; I jsut applied aero and I was able to play GTA for 2 hours without any problems. I will report back in a few days!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  12. Grindmasterfles

Grindmasterfles Member

GPU:
    Asus Nvidia 8800 GTX
    This is such a pain in the ass. I would really like to smash those responsible for that crap.

13. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    my set up is almost exactly the same as yours. i had the error early on but Microsoft patches fixed the problem for me.. i don't know how to help you man my system differences are evga 8800 gtx core 2 duo extreme...

14. Grindmasterfles

Grindmasterfles Member

GPU:
    Asus Nvidia 8800 GTX
    so I tried my card on another pc and it worked. I am so ****ing pissed. I am going back to xp now. this is so ****ed up.

15. shfire2000

shfire2000 New Member

GPU:
    Radion 4670HD 1gig
    Well it fixed most of it. I still got a black screen about once a day though. I trashed the card, and baught an ATI card. No more problems now.

16. tonyblue

tonyblue New Member

GPU:
    geforce 7600go
    NEED HELP (nvlddmkm.sys)

hey people
    i think i ****ed up my hp dv9260us notebook. i used rivatuner for a better play of gta4 inscreased the frequency of the gpu of my nvidia geforce7600 go, but suddenly when playing and error occured my srceen went black and an error diplayed. it sad that the system file nvlddmkm.sys has a problem.
    then i pluged off my batery and the rams and after an hour i tried to open it again, but it didn't show a thing (oly) and after a minute displayed again the same error of nvlddmkm.sys. i didn't what to do for several hours and after that i pluged in the paralel cable my old pc's monitor and showed what the widescreanof my notebook didn't. when tried to open widows it showed the same error but in safe mode it opened with graphic problem.
    the next day i searched lots of forums and stop to something i thought was helpfull.
    i run the expand command from nvlddmkm.sy_ to nvlddmkm.sys (after installin the driver in safe mode, restart then to open nomally but in the end i made no restart, i executed this command).
    after the restart..miracle...i did't have to use my old monitor to see what was going on to my notebook.
    after that i saw the propreties on my nvidia hardware ita didn't show the 3D details. i reistalled the nvidia driver downloaded from hp support and drivers, after a restart everything went normally, the 3d propreties where shown.
    then i played a nomal game with pes2009 and after a match i went in the main menu to play another match..but suddenly..again...the same error showed with the nvlddmkm.sys file(driver kernel whatever). i tried to do the same thing again but no results.
    i tried also to use the recovery partition to restore my notebook vista to factory setting but it stucked from the beggining and except that it ruined the ubuntu bootloader i now i can't use ubuntu too. (I have 2 hdd 120gb)
    notice that i can only see what going on my laptop (at this case the bios only) from a external monitor.
    i formated with quick nsfs the first partition with xp but it didn't started then i formated the same partition (without changing the recovery partition) with a donloaded vista ultimate sp1 64 bit, but it stucks just before showing the desktop, its stucks o an image showing installing updates 3 of 3 100%
    i thing that if i can return the default setting of the nvidia frequency (the speed of its gpu), i can solve this nightmare (if it isn't a hardware problem, i hope not so).
    perhaps is there e bootable disc or image of rivatuner or something like that so i can restore my driver kernel of my notebook.
    please if anybody can tell me something i'll be very gratefull
    with respect and thnx in adv Toni

17. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Welcome to Guru3D, tonyblue. :)

As far as I understood your post, you are saying that you already formatted your primary partition (or the primary HDD) and tried to restore your notebook from the recovery partition? Could you please post the error message you get after which it aborts the installation?

You also tried to install both XP and a "downloaded" copy of Vista from a CD and it did not work either?

If you're running from a Live-CD like Knoppix, for example, are you able to boot your laptop and use Knoppix without any problems?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  18. tonyblue

tonyblue New Member

GPU:
    geforce 7600go
    Thank you for your time.

I've formated only my primary partition, without touching the recovery partition (I don't have a dvd recovery, I have only the recovery partition).
    When I tried to restore Windows to default (factory) settings, when loading it showed me a blue screen and the mouse cursor. I couldn't move the mouse and no window showed up to proceed, only it stucked there and no errors showed up.

then i tried to install xp but after the instalation no xp was loaded.
    then i "downloaded" from rapidshare a vista ultimate sp1 x64. i formated again the fisrt partition with this vista but after loaded it stucks in a image, whitch is a instalation of an vista uptade deja in the dvd vista (i thing this is a modificated vista with the last updates).
    shortly it stucks there but for this time i thing its a instalation problem.

To notice, my laptop's screan doesn't show nothing and i see what's going on in my laptop only with a external monitor, and in this last one I see a screambled image with dots and lines disturbing the screen (this isn't caused by the monitor, i'm sure.)

i can use normally every bootable or live-cd with no problem (but the graphic problem stands). I used hirens boot cd, minipe,tiny xp, etc. i didn't use so far Knoppix.

in my opinion this is a problem having to do with the vga driver or vga bios.

I thing i messed up real bad and words can't explain everything. if you agree with can talk with a msn or something. mine is ***************.
    thank you

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  19. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    If I were you, I'd remove that email address. There are lots of bots scanning the Internet for nothing else but email addresses... ;)

Besides that I'm afraid I don't have very good news for you, tonyblue. It seems you damaged your GPU when you overclocked it. One proof are the constant BSODs when you try to install an OS either from the recovery partition or from CD (XP/Vista both fail). The other strong indication is the fact that even when you use the external monitor and a Live-CD, you get display corruption on the screen. I'm afraid you killed your GPU with the OC and the damage is irreversible. The even bigger problem is that it's not as easy to replace a GPU inside of a laptop, as it is inside of a PC.

I, personally, would contact HP, in order to find out how much they would charge you for a new GPU (maybe motherboard) and if that is just too expensive, look on eBay (or a similar web site) to find some replacement parts - in case you're knowledgeable enough to replace parts in your laptop.

I'm sorry, dude, but I really think that your GPU is irreversibly damaged. :frown:

20. tonyblue

tonyblue New Member

GPU:
    geforce 7600go
    thank you man
    i was afraid that it was damaged.
    contact hp is the last option and the hardest part because the notebook was bought in usa and i live in albania and its difficult for me to find a person who can deliver for me there. anyway if it is possible to remove only that part of the laptop (the graphic card) i can do it myself but its difficult to find that hardware.
    thanks and for you advice for the email
    Toni