Vista: "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered"

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by NeoElNino, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Lacusmons

Lacusmons Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    Well, to me it was hardware related. I will elaborate.

I had a PoV 8800GTX and i could never play in DX10 (worked perfectly in DX9) for more than 45min and after that i got the error. At the time i had a evga 680i motherboard and corsair memory. Upgraded to OCZ ones and same problem. This spring i upgraded to evga 780i board and behold, same error was still there after exactly 45min of gameplay. Now im using a evga geforce gtx 280 and now im not getting the error anymore. Everything works as intended. I sold the card to my brother and he can run games in DX10 without a problem on a P35 intel board. So it must have been a combination of the motherboard and the GPU that didnt like each other somehow.

2. -ToasT-

-ToasT- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670
    Huh, too weird. I hate this error with very ounce of my being. I am tempted to get an ATi card, but apparently they have a very similar issue. Eh, maybe I'll just grab a 260 and see if one card is better than two.

*EDIT* Although, running Crysis in DX9 mode seems to have, if anything, reduced the frequency of the error.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  3. LEXX911

LEXX911 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 950
    Let me ask you guys. How do you decide to play games in DX9 or DX10 mode? Where is it located?

4. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX680 2GB OC @ 1202/7000
    Go to "Games" (I don't know how it's called in English vista since I have Dutch vista). You see it when you click on "Start". There you can see the games installed on your pc. Then right click on Crysis for example and then you can select: "run in DX9" or "run in DX10".

5. -ToasT-

-ToasT- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670
    In Vista, none of my games show up in that my games list. So for like Cryis, I created a new shortcut and added -dx9 to the command line. Works fine.

6. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX680 2GB OC @ 1202/7000
    That's strange. I now have the crysis demo, wic demo, call of duty 4 full and company of heroes full installed. The only game not in my list is call of duty 4 which is strange since it's a recent game.

7. -ToasT-

-ToasT- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670
    The only one that shows up there is Mass Effect, and I currently don't have it installed.

8. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX280 SCC
    Very interesting. I too finally gave up on my gtx8800's(2 in SLI and almost same setup as you... 780i MB & Corsair memory) due to the similar issues(as documented in this thread). I ordered a GTX280 and received it this past Thursday. Since installing it. I have yet to have ANY crash whatsoever, in ANY game(AOC WOW, LOTRO and HG: London).

The 8800GTX's in SLI just weren't stable for me.

9. Baldassano

Baldassano Member Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI 1080ti SHWK
    Back on direct Topic..

Anyone experience this error with the New 177.66's??

Please advise.

Thank you.

10. -ToasT-

-ToasT- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670
    I haven't tried the new 177.66's. My solution is dual booting to XP 32-bit where th error doesn't exist. Thus far I have only had issues in DX10 games. So I'll use Vista for everything except a few new games until the problem gets resolved.

Oh and the solution listed on the first page doesn't apply to Vista SP1, as the hotfix is included.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008

11. BoudahXL

BoudahXL Member

GPU:
    GTX295 BFG
    For me the problem never occur with new drivers installed from scratch and clean reg.It always happen overtime, usually after a period of 30-45 days.

Clean install re-install fix the drivers for another 30-45 days...

It's insane, I searched so many forums, tried so many driver set, checked temp, ran so many benchmark and burn in, test RAM I got sick of it, really...

It's either nvidiot or micro$haft, they can both kiss my @$$! :bang:

12. -ToasT-

-ToasT- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670
    Haha yeah, there's just no rhyme or reason too it. Everyone is affected differently to some degree. Some systems completely crash, others crash just the game, some games hang and then actually resume.

I can safely say that there is no fix that works 100%. Even people who say they have fixed it may have only suppressed it. The MS hotfix obviously did not work as SP1 is still having the same issues.

13. Mark-32

Mark-32 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX460+8800GT Phyx HP2408
    Plz help. anytime i run a game it crashs instantly. im running vista ultimate sp1

14. -ToasT-

-ToasT- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670
    Yeah, about that. Unfortunately, if you read the entire tread, you'll realize that it is an exercise in futility. There is no definitive fix and a multitude of factors that you could remove/change/light on fire/whatever. I suggest a dual boot for the moment.

Although, some drivers seem to have better luck. What are you using for drivers on the 8800GT?

15. Mark-32

Mark-32 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX460+8800GT Phyx HP2408
    im using 175.19 then went back to 169.xx just to check if this solves the problem, however i still get the same old APPCRASH

16. -ToasT-

-ToasT- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670
    Give the 177.41's a shot. You will probably still get the error, but not as often. I have had MUCH better luck with the 177.41's. There is a thread devoted to them and their modded inf files.

17. Baldassano

Baldassano Member Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI 1080ti SHWK
    the 177.41's are the ones that started the issue for me, no other drivers have done it.. I would get it 3x a night.

18. ajua

ajua Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD5850 Black Edition
    Before 177.41 i didn't experience this error. But again, it only appeared when playing Assassin's Creed and the Windows Live Messenger/Another-pop-up-application combo.

For new readers of this thread would be wise to disable/close any application that may show popups while in games, such as WLM, MailBell, etc...

I'm will try 177.66 tomorrow. Will post about them when i try some of the games i have installed.

About the Windows Games section, the games that do show there are not working for me, i have to make shortcuts myself because i get an error when trying to launch them from there.

19. Catroqui

Catroqui Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080/1080 Ti
    I've being reading this thread for quite a time now don't if someone told this before but did you guys tried to set the "maximum pre-rendered frames" from 3 to 6 ? That just stopped my system from crashing and i have no message of stop responding anymore,altough you can see when it would crash cause you can see the game stops for a bit less then a sec and come back,i didn't experienced any other problem.

EDIT: Just with TDU instead of the game stops for a sec the screen goes black then it's back again.

20. -ToasT-

-ToasT- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670
    I set the pre-rendered frames to 6, will report back if it makes any difference.