VISTA - Beta 2 + Games = Certain Death (But I fixed it!)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Tech_Greek, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Terpitz2

Terpitz2 Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 2070
    Saber, how did you manage to get to get it down to 130. I might want to try that (would let me run a music app during BF2 TWL matches :D )

2. wolf421

wolf421 New Member

GPU:
    bestdata geforce fx 5200 128mb
    In the same boat as some

I made the mistake of installing vista over my old xp server 2003, and now I got a headache form it. The security pop ups are just down right annoying and the graphics are nice but I'm turning all them off for now...
    Even with a gig of memory it just takes to much...I think that microsoft was counting on people haveing like 2 gigs plus of memory in thier systems for vista to run on and be a ram hog... My system runs ok until I have to many windos open like (3) then I'm in trouble... Have installed any games yet...heck I wonder if my on-board intell video would run better than my fx 5200 right now? with my luck the system would crash and I would be back to server again ((shudder)) or worse my old copy of 98se laying around here some where. Oh wait!!! I used it for a frisbee last year when my daughter turned it into a saucer to play tea time with it and turned it into fubar with here caryons....wheres my server disk?......

3. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3080 OC
    custom install of windows + ngo Universal tweaker and XP-antispy suggested

frshly installed windows only takes 79MB

http://img161.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image17ua1.jpg
    right now after playing games and a custom buggy mugen game I'm making

edit:

I think I better restart and take a fresh memory read out fresh, maybe now... maybe later/..

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
  4. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    well i test windows vista for a few days and damm it take 600mb out of 960 mb. and the explore take 30 to 40 max >_>, also MCE keep frezzing and WMP 11 frezze windows so i am going back to MCE 2005.

5. Tech_Greek

Tech_Greek New Member

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 7800 GT
    What the hell is your probelm...all of you?

I NEVER expected high frame rate, I was doing everyone a favor and figuring out an issue, you know the RIGHT thing to do.

I'm dual booting Beta 2 + XP right now, if I feel like having frame rates the eye can't see regardless I'll just boot into XP as for right now it was a REPORT on the SITUATION of VISTA and NVIDIA as I've seen too many threads across the internet the past few days about the drivers.

Tranzmit, please don't open your trap and flame someone until you know the whole story next time...thanks bud...I've been building computers, coding for a LONG time to let some little smart elic like you insult me...

As far as the ram, I'm using 3 GB of K-Bye (not the best but it works) and it has no issues, and you can use your thumb drive to add however much memorey to the Windows OS that works better than having it on the HD (Windows ReadyBosot or something along those lines).

6. Kingotnw

Kingotnw Active Member

GPU:
    VisionTek Radeon HD 5850
    I think the HD activity is Windows Defender going through your system in small intervals. I will agree that the 560mb of RAM it uses is crazy. I cant even change my display settings in this thing. If there was a way to revert to my old OS without losing files I would do it.

7. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244
    that is my understanding as well re: Defender

if I turn the Defender service off, Vista stops hitting the HDD constantly
    I'm running Vista x64 and so far here are my (very few) problems:

microphone +20dba boost won't turn off
    no drivers for Zboard
    no NVidia Control Panel. PowerStrip works, except VGA clocks (reads them and sets overclocks, but they won't "stick")
    can't Alt-Tab back and forth out of games without system hanging
    no RivaTuner

other than that, I have working drivers installed for every piece of hardware, including 7.1 channel audio on my Audigy 2 :) there are but a small handful of apps that I haven't been able to use/install. even ran some benchies and found that my 3DMark05 score went UP by 18 points at identical settings.

played 3 hours of BF2 last night, two hours COD2 the night before. no problems except hitching and slowdowns that are clearly related to audio drivers (80fps normal play, ~15fps artillery strike lol).

imho Vista x64 is not as "raw" as everone is making it out to be. I'll be using it as my primary OS from here on out. Only using XP for gaming until some better audio/display drivers are released.

8. Archer1978

Archer1978 Guest

Do you use Beta 1 drivers for your sound card? im using the latest drivers form creative for XP, work a treat.

9. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244
    couldn't get the Beta drivers to install at all

got the 2.08.004 XP 32/64bit drivers working perfectly though, go figure

10. Hpnotiq

Hpnotiq Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA XFX XXX Edit.7600GT 590/1600
    Hey guys...some Advice..if you see yourself running low on RAM, then just get 2 GB of 3 GB...RAM isn't by any means expensive anymore. And i mean it is a BETA...they still have like 7 more months of improving it..Believe it or not..you're their live lab rats...you're the real testers.

11. Tech_Greek

Tech_Greek New Member

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 7800 GT
    <- 3 GB of crappy kbyte ram, I think it's what is holding me back in the performance department (DDR2).

21% of ram at idle, with trillian, side bar (with a few gadgets) and wireless going, from 0-14% of CPU usage at idle.

12. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244
    many of us have AMD rigs that run dual-channel

that means 2GB or 4GB, no 3GB ;) can't have odd number of sticks, plus 4x1GB is slow and overclocks like crap. hopefully it's better on AM2 with DDR2

13. blunden

blunden Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3080 TUF
    It's probably Superfetch (or something like that) that you memory is used for. Vista handles ram in a very different way from XP so you really can't compare it.

14. sandz

sandz Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX570 DCII
    well thats tru...the superfetch thing uses ram in diff manner, dunt bother with how much ram the system uses cos it doesnt cause slowdowns at all....i m getting overall good performance from my beta 2 X64 installation.....i also read it somewhere that its optimized for x64 and dual core processors so to tell the truth the 32 bit version wont be a hitas the x64 version.......:frown:

i have used the X64 win xp audigy2 drivers for my sound card and no nforce drivers installed doesnt make any diff at all.....there are only a few performance lags, like system bootup is slower and it also takes a little more time to shutdown.......

games are running fine .....but the worst problem i m facing is that all the games are showing a maximum resolution of 800X600.....can anyone tell me how to fix this cos i dunt think everyone is facing this problem like me.....my desktop resolution is 1024X768 but all ingame resolutions are limited to 800X600:bolt: ....i m using the 88.61_forceware_vista_x64_international_2 drivers

~sandz

15. [LEF]Kratos

[LEF]Kratos New Member

GPU:
    BFG Tech 7800GT OC
    I am running vista beta 2 32bit, and the only problem I have had is with starfore games. They dont work, but css and everything else has worked perfectly, hell I am using the xp driver for my wireless card to get internet. I have 1gig and have 667mb free. NFS MW runs alot better, css looks and runs better. The only odd thing is dxdiag says my 7800gt has 520mb vram. lol! I wish it was true. I really like vista, and I havent had any issues with it, hell I ran source Dedicated server for css with 8bots, had 10 people while hosting off the same machine as I was playing on and still had 80fps and no lag. Alot xp stuff is working with vista no problem, my only gripe since everything is beta, is the nvidia and creative drivers. I cant enable 5.1, and there are not aa or antristrophic options. My 3dmark 03 score went from 15,556 to 21,434. It just sucks that river tuner doesnt work with vista and nvidias beta driver!

16. meatfestival92

meatfestival92 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 9800 GTX @ 815/2078/1180
    hopefully vista will be the final nail in starforce's coffin.

17. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    I used Xp64 and only 2 games dont install, Doom3 ROE and area 51, But i do be dual booted so those aernt really any problems for me.

Other then that I haven ran into software problems with XP64bit.

Vista will not kill starforce, starforce made a driver for vista so people with the games that has that program can play it in vista. In a way thats a good thing for people like me who has games with starforce, that may want to play them in vista when vista comes out working.

You may not want starforce support,but i rather have it then having games that doesnt install because starforce drivers didnt exist.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  18. Hooked

Hooked Member Guru

GPU:
    Dual eVGA 8800 GTS 640mb / SLI
    seems without the control panel , its stuck on vertical sync on . which i know for a fact cuts my fps down to 70... which is what CS is running at. I need to get that vert sync OFF

19. sunn

sunn Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    nVidias control panel is in Windows control panel [its always been there in the others too]

20. Hooked

Hooked Member Guru

GPU:
    Dual eVGA 8800 GTS 640mb / SLI
    wheres that ?