Vista Basic, is it the best "tuner" option?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Lozeritis, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Lozeritis

Lozeritis Member Guru

GPU:
    (2x) ATI 4870 1GB XFire
    Title says it all.

With Vista I plan to remove all graphical options and tune it down to as "basic" as possible.

I'm not going to be Bit-locking, Remote desktoping, sharing files, or anything of the sort. Nor will I be using Aero Glass AT ALL. All that crap does is soak up RAM.

So, at the end of day, will Basic be the best option for minimalism? Or will I be missing out on some sort of performance with the higher-end versions.

Once I get this sorted out I should have my 8800GTX running like a Beast. :vader:

EDIT: Or at least I will when I get my 680i mobo and e6600.

P.S. These new Mobo support 8gb of RAM (Via 4x 2GB cards I'm assuming). But I hear there are support issues with the 2GB 800 speed ram chips... Something about needing a 64-bit OS to even run the things.

Or is it that you need a 64-bit OS to get OVER 4gb... Like I could run 2x 2GB ram chips on a 32-bit OS. But couldn't add the other 4gb's until I get 64-bit Vista?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  2. easy2007

easy2007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX470 4GB
    yes u do need a 64bit OS to go over 4 GB. as u probably know vista basic only comes in 32bit. i would recommend 64bit home premium. also i don't think vista basic supports dx10. (btw in a 64bit OS u have the potential to support upto 128GB of RAM.) Now thats impressive!

3. micketh

micketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 8GB
    impressive yet excessive.

4. nihilistic0

nihilistic0 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTS250 (760/1100)

Go ahead and leave it on, you're not going to see a performance hit

http://firingsquad.com/hardware/windows_vista_aero_glass_performance/

And you have an 8800GTX, 4400x2, 2GB RAM, I mean come on now.

5. Lozeritis

Lozeritis Member Guru

GPU:
    (2x) ATI 4870 1GB XFire
    Newegg has a pretty good deal going on the 64-bit Business OEM...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832116211

I think I might do that. Should work out pretty well and I wont need any of that Media Center non-sense at any rate.

And it seems like the only difference between Business and Ultimate are the Media Center programs (Which get a big fat PFFFT from me).

And who knows I may end up using the remote desktop features etc etc.

And it seems with this OEM stuff, the worst that can happen to you is if you change your Mobo, you'll have to phone Microsoft to get them to give you a new activation. And if worse came to worse, you could do... other things... *wink*

P.S. At the end of the day, Aero Glass doesn't hurt FPS... But it does use up more RAM which hurts level-less games such as Vanguard: SOH which is constantly loading and unloading data.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  6. G-Man

G-Man Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sparkle 8800GTS 640MB
    lol speaking of vista i went to the shops yesterday and it was cheaper to buy xp and a vista upgrade than it was to buy vista outright. lol

7. chazly413

chazly413 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 970 4GB
    OEM Vista is cheaper on the Internet than retail Vista. Just get Vista Premium.

8. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    Your a man after my own heart! If i ever get vista i'll be doing the same, all the crap it comes with is more a less useless. I want it to be tweaked to hell, just like my XP is right now.

9. chazly413

chazly413 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 970 4GB
    You guys remind me of the people that buy Honda Civics and take every single damn thing out of the car except for the stuff that keeps it working.

10. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    Hi i bought vista home basic full retail and it does come with dx10.The only thing home premium has extra is the flashy aero and media centre that i didnt want.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007

11. nightwalker342

nightwalker342 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 XC
    If I remember right, the basic also does not support the ability to use thumb drives as added memory. I may be wrong, but Im pretty sure it said that on microsoft's site.

12. PETEY

PETEY Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS
    I'm with you man. This bull**** Vista stuff is a stupid gimmick, and if it wasn't DX10 based it wouldn't sell much at all. I'm probably just going to wait and eventually buy the 32 bit basic, and then "buy" a 64 bit version when better support and 4gigs of RAM is the standard.

13. BOYDIE-NI

BOYDIE-NI Master Guru

GPU:
    RX570 4GB
    Home basic-Comes in 64bit or 32bit.
    Home Basic is limited to 8GB in its 64-bit version.
    Premium supports up to 16GB.

The 32-bit versions of Vista are all limited to 4GB of RAM.With both version's being able to take advantage of the USB 2.0 thumb drive,pre-caching of data,instead of using you slower HD.The biggest differance is Media centre,and aero.Im buying Basic in about 1-2 months time(when most of the drivers are sorted),I dont need Aero(my friend says he is bored of it already,don't get me wrong it's nice)my desktop will still function,and it wont use as much ram.And I use my home 5.1 and dvd system to watch films.Basic just fit's my computer,gaming and email with photo's and writing letters.

But at the end of the day its your choice.By the way vista Oem basic 64 bit is only £65 in the uk.