Vista and Realtek HD equalizer

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by xpl, Dec 13, 2007.

1. xpl

xpl Guest

Where could i find equalizer in Vista ?

2. yaleblor

yaleblor Master Guru

GPU:
    770gtx 2gb
    sad to say it is no more , realtek +vista is horrible

3. 4ny0n3

4ny0n3 Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 320MB @ 630/1300/1945
    That's not true, if you install the latest Realtek HD drivers for vista, which are in the downloads section of GURU3d in the General Drivers section if i'm not mistakne you can get the equalizer...

4. Darkoz

Darkoz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 ULTRA xXx 675/2.3GHz
    With Vista the Realtek equalizer is where it's always been, nothings changed.

5. livesoft

livesoft Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 512MB OC2/Samsung 226BW
    You can also get the latest version at http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/

I have Realtek HD Audio Manager. It got an Equalizer but its not graphic. Personally, I use SRS Audio Sandbox.

Realtek drivers are good. I get a little bug sometimes but not really important.

6. Bad Cyborg

Bad Cyborg New Member

10 band EQ settings has indeed been discontinued on Vista drivers. I wrote to pctech@realtek.com.tw earlier with the following message:

That was more a plea than a question. I emailed them because I was really hoping to use the built-in speakers that came with my HP w2207. And I know (some) people would appreciate this as well, since a graphic equalizer would more or less compensate any inadequate and cheap speakers. That way we don't have to toss them out.

Unfortunately, this was Realtek's half-assed response.

Sure, it's no big deal to people who are buying expensive speakers anyway, but still, this is a ridiculous downgrade from XP. And the worst thing is, they have the audacity to include "10 band equalizer" on their feature list.

7. CHli

CHli New Member

GPU:
    8800GTX 768MB
    Hi,

When I first installed my drivers I thought this equalizer must be somewhere, there must be a way to add a custom "preset"... but not it appears it's not possible.

This is really a shame !

I can't believe this option is not available. I would like to know if it has been available once in Vista ? And if someone has found a way to workaround this problem ?

I read some papers about Vista sound engine and how everything basically work with sound in vista. And with Realtek Drivers pack 1.86 for Vista 32 bits I see that we have two interesting dll's :

• RtkAPO.dll
    • MaxxAudioAPO.dll

First they both contains the "APO" letters which means : Audio Processing Object. They represent audio processing which can be inserted in the sound stream to modify it. There are two types of APO the GFX (Global) and LFX (Local).

MaxxAudioAPO is a library of APOs available from Waves.com :

I can't believe there isn't any configurable equalizer in this library... we are just missing the configuration interface !

RtkApo.dll probably contains a list of processing developed by Realtek. But maybe there is an equalizer in there too.

I will dig a bit more into these :)

8. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Vega56 8GB
    Ever used a Creative soundcard with Vista? Creative and Vista don't mix, although the latest drivers are getting better (FINALLY!!).

When Vista was released (and also in the beta period), all Creative soundcards support was almost zero. Even onboard chips had 100x better drivers.

I still think that driver support in Vista for onboard soundcards is much better than for example X-Fi and Audigy. :)

I have Realtek HD onboard in my laptop (Vista Ultimate 64) and i have no issues with the EQ. What version are you using?

EDIT: After reading Bad Cyborgs post, i think that my drivers are some kind of HP drivers with EQ. I could install a normal Realtek HD driver and see if it also has the EQ.

The response of Realtek is really lame and they are to blame for the removal or that feature.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  9. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    Actually, my Audigy4 has great support for Vista64! No problems, whatsoever.

10. fcs

fcs Banned

GPU:
    2x eVGA 8800Ultra Superclocked 768M
    The situation with Creative + Vista is true. Glance at the topics on this forum (Windows Vista - Creative Labs):

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board?board.id=Vista

It's thread after thread with demands for better drivers with better game compatibility and DD + DTS support than poor excuses that Creative has made so far. The forum covers a much broader use of various Creative sound cards, including X-Fi, and multiple problematic situations than someone who, for example, only uses their computer for web browsing and email, and says it's "fine" or assumes that a limited number of programs they use are identical to what everyone else does.

The problem is both, Creative's shoddy track record for driver support and Vista itself. In order to release any certified and working driver for Vista, Creative is first required to spend money and time to tweak it and at the same time work around Vista's built-in DRM, which is why features go missing and why so many people are having problems with various digital setups. Not to mention that you now have to use an "ALchemy" sound wrapper just to get support for DirectSound and DirectSound3D games in Vista with a limited number of games supported, all because Microsoft decided to remove DS and DS3D HAL from Vista. You don't have to put up with that crap in XP.

Looks like Realtek isn't much better with their useless email response and lack of support.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008

11. CHli

CHli New Member

GPU:
    8800GTX 768MB
    Can you give me notebook model and driver version ? Maybe I can get the equalizer working on my PC :)

12. Bad Cyborg

Bad Cyborg New Member

Well it looks like OS X can do this thanks to third party support. A shame Vista can't. Blaze Audio WebEQ can be used on those laptops with Conexant High Definition Audio, but sadly that control panel is for XP only, no Vista update in sight.

@Keitosha: Would love to know your notebook type too. Are you positive you didn't misunderstand what we're talking about? It's a 10-band slider EQ, not a list of presets.

13. fumducker79

fumducker79 New Member

GPU:
    navdia
  14. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    There's a preset EQ setting in the current Realtek drivers. Sure you can't change the sliders but you still can have EQ effects on your audio outputs.

deltatux