Vista AF isn't as sharp as XP's?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Ryan Williams, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Ryan Williams

Ryan Williams Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
    I've just installed Vista 32bit and am have tried both 158.45 and 160.04 drivers, and whilst the performance is negligibly different to what it was in XP I can't help but feel the image quality has degraded in the transition.

Although I had 16x AF forced on both operating systems, both Battlefield 2142 and Command & Conquer 3 just don't seem as sharp as they were on XP 160.03. It be completely unrelated to AF, but at the moment I have my image quality set to "High Quality" and any optimisations are disabled as a result.

Am I the only person who's observed this? Is it all in my head or is there actually a loss in texture sharpness retention on Vista? Is there anything that can be tweaked, or a specific driver set that looks better?

Heck, perhaps the IQ was lowered with drivers to get the performance closer to XP. It's not like they haven't done that in the past, is it GeForce FX users? ;)

I've also noticed some weird stuttering while moving around in Battlefield 2142, but I've yet to look at that more closely.

Edit: I wrote "High Performance" instead of "High Quality" by accident. :( :( :(

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  2. Benke99

Benke99 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4870 1GB
    The optimizations are disabled in "High Quality" mode. Try that instead and see how it looks. Other than that I think is just due to individual IQ in different drivers. 160.02 and 160.03 in XP has the best IQ ever (so far) so this might just be a temporary setback.

3. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Ive always run my 8800 on vista x64 so I wouldn't know the diff. ALthough ive always found iq superb....

4. Ryan Williams

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
    Oh, sorry. I really crapped up my original post these -- don't you love it when you basically reverse the entire meaning of a sentence with one incorrect word? :D

I meant I've got it set to "High Quality" mode, and with 16x AF. I'll edit that now.

As for the drivers, are there actually any Vista 32 drivers with better IQ than 160.04, without suffering a huge speed compromise? The driver numbering scheme is seriously confusing me senseless at the moment.

If not then I can live with it (hopefully future drivers will improve further) as the degradation isn't that bad, but it was enough to make me go "¬¬" when I got my games up and running. :)

5. Benke99

Benke99 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4870 1GB
    Well, I've tried 160.02, 160.03 and 165.01 in XP and IQ wise they're in a league of their own (especially 160.02, which originally is a Quadro FX driver).
    In Vista I haven't tried 160.04, but 158.45 didn't have the same IQ as above mentioned drivers in XP. My guess is that stability is priority 1, 2 and 3 for Nvidia in Vista right now. IQ and performance won't start kicking in before that is achieved. That is unless ATI/AMD gets their Catalyst up and running at high speed. DX10 functionality should be on both company's priority list.
    Nvidia (finally) has some competition in getting the first good DX10 driver out. New OS and new API (DX10) means things can only get better. Question is only; who's gonna get there first?

6. Ryan Williams

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
    Whoever manages it, I hope it's sooner rather than later. It actually started to grate when I was playing Battlefield 2142 earlier as it was definitely very noticeably inferior IQ-wise as I went through all the familiar areas I use often.

The temptation is really there for me to whip out a format and this time dual boot, but weirdly the games I play most run better in Vista than they did on XP. I suspect it's the better dual core management, as it's largely times such as in Command & Conquer 3 when I have lots of units on the screen moving about where I notice it holds out for longer.

C&C3 isn't a dual core game, but I imagine Vista separates OS and game a little better and isolates it a little more. I read it was meant to do that aeons ago, anyway.

7. Benke99

Benke99 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4870 1GB
    Above all, Vista has superior memory management compared to XP. That's supposedly what makes memory hogs like BF2/2142 and FEAR run smoother on the new OS.

8. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    I dunno but Vista makes all my games look and sound better. Even on my old 7800GS.

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Only way to find out AF quality is to use the AF tester doh... Or pixel per pixel game comparison...

10. Ryan Williams

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
    Having done a bit more thorough experimentation I'm absolutely certain that 158.45 has markedly better IQ in Battlefield 2142 than 160.04. It's best to play a map like Suez Canal which has lots of rich, colourful textures and allows the detail to shine.

It's not quite as good as I enjoyed on XP, but it's close. I'm also fairly certain that 4x anti-aliasing looks slightly smoother on Vista with the drivers I've used, the reasoning behind which I have no idea.

I'm running BF2142 on a constant 60 FPS and it looks great so I can't really complain too much about Vista after all, with the exception of the map load crashes that EA need to sort out. :mad: