Vista 64 Problems

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by tralalalala, Dec 21, 2008.

1. tralalalala

tralalalala Banned

GPU:
    6600 GT
    Rivatuner has completely stopped working for me, I've been trying to debug this for a while now, very cumbersome tracking this down. When RT worked, I used the low-level fan controls, and they worked great. In some threads people indicate this can be caused by faulty 7800 GT hardware, I am not going to rule anything out just yet.

I had the same problem a couple weeks ago where Rivatuner just stopped working, then magically Rivatuner just started working again. EVGA Precision utility has the same symptoms.

Can someone confirm if my understanding of how RT works is correct
    The "low-level" functionality implemented by RT is done by means of RivaTuner64.sys?
    The "driver-level" control is done via nvidia/forceware drivers?

Here are some of the major changes since RT last worked, I have gone all the way remove them all, but still RT will not control the fan speed.
    New monitor/drivers
    Vista updates
    Updated RT -> 2.21
    Updated Forceware 178.24

Event viewer points to the kernel driver, I have tried disabling driver signing requirements. I have used the Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider 1.2, nothing seems have an effect.
    Code integrity determined that the image hash of a file is not valid. The file could be corrupt due to unauthorized modification or the invalid hash could indicate a potential disk device error.

File Name: \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner v2.21\RivaTuner64.sys

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Hate do disappoint you and ruin your software bug hypotesis, but EVGA Precision DOESN'T control fan via own low-level driver, it provides driver-level controls only and job is done via ForceWare. Which means that ForceWare itself is unable to control fan too when RT "stops working". Get rid of that graphics card.

3. tralalalala

tralalalala Banned

GPU:
    6600 GT
    So the last time that neither RT or EVGA were working, and then all of a sudden they both started working, your saying it was being done @ the driver-level? What does that conclude?

I still don't get why it would just stop working, I would love to see thread analysis of whats really going on.

I miss my working RT :bang:

Any recommendations that don't involve trashing the video card would be much appreciated.

4. Unwinder

> What does that conclude?

That most likely transistor in fan control circuit is slowly dying. Stop wasting your time, you won't fix unresponsive controller via software.
    Also, I'm afraid there won't be threads for analysis as you're requesting, sorry. I already gave you the link to old 7800GT fan controller problems discussed many years ago during these display adapter series launch. And beating this dead horse is definitively not a useful task, sorry.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008

5. tralalalala

tralalalala Banned

GPU:
    6600 GT
    I am reluctant to just give in and say its hardware, and I was not really requesting that you perform thred analysis, just wish I had more resources at my finger tips to further debug.

RT worked perfectly, then something changed, I am open to the idea of bad/faulty hardware, and I have read the link that you gave me. I just like to have concrete evidence, and so far nothing has been brought forward to substantiate that its hardware.

I am just trying to get RT working again, can you fault me for that.

6. Unwinder

What kind of debugging do you expect? What evidence do you need? Your hardware is not responding to PWM fan control, NVIDIA driver (in case of driver-level fan control in RT or Precision) or RT itself (in case of low-level fan control) changes target PWM duty cycle directly and your fan keeps living its own life regardless programmed fan speed. There are a lot of known issues that 7800GT fan circuit is affected by exactly the same issue due to semi-working or completely not working thermal alert related trasistor with exactly the same symptoms (fan control is lost either completely or periodically).
    What are you going to debug between fan controller and the fan itself? It is not RT is not stopping working, it is your hardware. And RT cannot help you with that. Absolutely cannot. I cannot add anything to it, sorry. You've got more than enough info.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008