Virtual pilots, recommend me a flight sim

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by R.A.D., Sep 5, 2005.

1. R.A.D.

R.A.D. Member Guru

GPU:
    Msi gtx 560 ti tf2
    Well, since i downloaded bf2 i have been only flying the jets, but as you know flying in bf2 isnt related to reality at all and i want a bigger challenge. So know i want to give a more deep look to flight simulation. Which combat flight sim you would recommend me as i am new to all this?. I prefer modern jets rather than ww2 planes. I have just a cheap joystick and the keyboard so something playable with that setup would be nice, because i want to give a try before upgrading to something better.

Thanks for the suggestions.

2. Recrofne

Recrofne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004.

3. R.A.D.

R.A.D. Member Guru

GPU:
    Msi gtx 560 ti tf2
    Thanks, will give it a try, does mfs have any combat in it? if not, could you recommend a combat flight sim too?

4. MechWarrior

MechWarrior Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Classified Sli OC
    Lock On: Modern Air Combat for modern day jets... or IL2 for WWII planes.

5. KoncreteAngel

KoncreteAngel Master Guru

GPU:
    1800xt 512mb
    Dont get microsoft flight sim, it is so boring. Most planes peak at like 300 mph, you go so slow.

Get a combat flight sim, its much more fun.

6. Gilbo

Gilbo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    x800pro
    Will these flight simulators teach you how to fly? because I assume there's a lot more to taking off and landing than just gunning the throttle and pulling back on the stick.

BF2 has made me want to try a flight sim too (specifically combat, WWII planes are nice, jets....maybe...) but I'm gonna need a crash course in flying. Lessons and tips would be specifically helpful and welcome.

7. simonknight

simonknight Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7800GS OC AGP
    Gilbo, see if you can find Falcon 4.0 if you want ultra high realism.
    Then get the Saitek X52 Flight Control system. You'll be in flight sim heaven.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  8. Gilbo

Gilbo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    x800pro
    I've already got a saitek evo, so I don't plan on reinvesting in another stick.

And I'm not neccesarily looking for a hardcore sim. Just something that's fairly realistic, and entertaining. I'm not really into flying around the alps at 200mph unless I'm being chased by a messerschmitt.

I also really know very little about flying a plane, so I want something that isn't too daunting. Something that can offer me some form of training, or can at least be toned down for a beginner.

Maybe I'll check out falcon 4.0 though.

9. Brettbeck

Brettbeck Maha Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek PX7800GTX
    MS Flight Sim 2004 can be abit of fun if you download different aircraft etc. But I must admit it does get boaring quite fast.

10. Recrofne

Recrofne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    Micro$oft Flight Simulator 2004 can certainly teach you how to fly, in fact, it's used by several flight schools for training (with the proper hardware setup of course). It's certified by several aviation professionals and with all of it's articles, information, etc. it's without a doubt the most comprehensive flight simulator to date. It has alot to offer if you like flying planes, it aims to recreate that experience and is very in depth with everything flight related. And the help it offers is enough to get people that are totally new to flight sims up in the air.

If you enjoy a good flight simulator, this is it, if you want more, you'll probably find it boring. But with it going for only $20 these days, you can't go wrong.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2005

11. Matariel

Matariel Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX285
    Its a lot more simple than you think, and take-offs are almost exactly how you just discribed them.

I learnt how to fly for 5 years in high-school, and ive got the qualifications to have a private pilots licence in my country, i just need to get my 40hours flying time (which costs a fortune).

There are lessons in MS flight sim to teach you basic stuff like take-offs and landings, and also more advanced stuff like navigation, night flyling (and landing) and even forced landings.

12. PuddingWagon

PuddingWagon Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    IL-2 Sturmovik and Pacific Fighters, my aircraft mad friend won't shutup about them so I guess they're pretty realistic and fun. I think they offer from biplanes (early WW2) to jet aircraft and certain servers ban some 'uber' planes.

13. Shadowsoldier

Shadowsoldier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 ti
    You downloaded BF2? Like the full game?

14. CJ3D

CJ3D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX970 4GB
    LO:MAC is easily the most in-depth flight sim i've played (ive played many of them), but has a steep learning curve. There is an option to "dumb down" the game a bit so its not too complicated, which helps if you havent played other Sims.

Apparently Falcon 4.0 is great as well... erm, has it been released yet (The new expansion)?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2005
  15. Brettbeck

Brettbeck Maha Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek PX7800GTX
    He could have. Eighter that or the demo:p.

16. Hajile

Hajile Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d FX 5900xt
    You sure you want that? Real life is boring, you spend 5 minutes dogfighting but it takes you 30 minutes just getting there.

17. Owlsphone

Owlsphone Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GT 490/1150
    For WWII - IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles Gold pack (Forgotten Battles and Ace Expansion pack included) and Pacific Fighters add on hands down the best WWII combat sim out there.

For jet combat - Lock On: Modern Air Combat. You have to be willing to put in the time to learn though. These jets are complex. And once you learn to fly it, learning to fight in them takes twice as long.

General Aviation - Flight Simulator 2004. You can download pretty much anything to it. This would be a great starter to learn the basic principles of flight. It would be a good idea to purchase this sim regardless just for the information within the sim.

The great thing about flightims are that once the basics of flight are learned, they are carried through to other flightsims. You won't have to relearn the basics when you move onto other games.

Gilbo: Your Saitek Evo will be fine for any flightsim.

18. Lowbudgetgamer

Lowbudgetgamer Banned

GPU:
    PNY FX 5200U 128/128 331
    IL-2 is a great combat/flight sim for older prop and some jet planes...if you want to fly a 737 in 15-30 mph gusts of wind(you can make them almost tornadic too),ground fog,with an engine failure go for microsoft flight sim 04.

19. R.A.D.

R.A.D. Member Guru

GPU:
    Msi gtx 560 ti tf2
    Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Which sim you would recommend to be played first, Falcon 4.0 or lock on?

20. Owlsphone

Owlsphone Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GT 490/1150
    Falcon 4.0 is more focused on the avionics realism. The graphics are dated although they look good considering how old the game is. The campaign is fully dynamic and is second to none.

LOMAC is newer, prettier, and focuses on the flight aspect more than the avionics. I personally prefer LOMAC to Falcon 4.0. After seeing this beauty in action, I can't go back to Falcon.

Really though, Falcon can be found DIRT CHEAP nowadays and should be bought anyway just for sim history.

Get 'em both :)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2005