Vinyl/Record Player

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by AndreasGuido, Jan 23, 2019.

1. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    So i decided i want to get a vinyl player and have a nice setup with speakers. However i know nothing about them. What should i watch out for? Any specifics? Something basic but decent quality. I am looking to get new speakers too but i guess modern players can be hooked up to any speakers?

2. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I had to think about your title as here in Canada they are turntables or record players. I haven't had one in years but when I did Technics always made a decent player that didn't break the bank. As always the cartridge has a lot to do with the sound so I'm not sure about the variety of those available but Shure was always up there. What amp you using?Some ideas here.

https://www.techradar.com/news/new-turntables-2019-the-best-record-players-at-ces-2019

AndreasGuido likes this.
  3. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    And make sure the turntable has a built-in Phono DSP, and supports Line-Out vs Phono-Out, else you will need an amp with Phono-In.

AndreasGuido and HandR like this.
  4. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Yea im not sure i would want anything as much as a separate amp, something more basic like solid player that i can connect to 2 speakers.

5. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    You will need a turntable with a built in preamp for that particular set up.

6. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Aha now we are getting closer, glad i asked :D

7. IAmGhostDog

IAmGhostDog Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 390
    Unless you're planning on buying powered speakers, you are going to need a separate amp. The signal won't be strong enough to drive the speakers.

Not necessarily.
    A decent turntable plus a phono preamp would do the trick.
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/best-affordable-phono-preamps/

8. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Yea i am planning to do that, get some nice speakers, hook up to player and possibly my PC for music :)

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    You mean you already have a vinyl records collection? Or are you going to start from scratch and build it up? Seriously, its not worth it. To get good sound from vinyl, forget cheap. You need a decent turntable which may cost hundreds if not $ thousands. The only people willing to spend that much on it are those who already have big record collections to justify it. Where did you get this urge to splurge on vinyl? Reading about how its superior to digital? Yes, many audiophiles swear by them, but I doubt any of them would vouch for a vinyl system less than $500-1000.

10. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Decent turntables just have to have correct and consistent speed the cartridge is where you can spend some money but if it's like it used to be when I was into them they have a wide range of prices that you can probably get away with a decent price for decent sound. The op never mentioned he was going for high end so it's like anything else you can start on the mid range and if you like it can spend the bucks.

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Back in the day, there were many turntable makers and some decent midrangers, but the demand for them is greatly diminished many are no longer being produced. LPs for the mass market are obsolete. Who is going to make money off of cheap turntables/cartridges with minuscule demand? You may find some, but nothing like back in the day. High end turntables/cartridges is another thing, since they are expensive, it may be worth their while to continue making them. And no its not just the cartridge, but also the body and tone arm of decent turntables are just as crucial and can be far more costly than the cartridges.

Digital advancemements have filtered down to decently priced digital gear that is superior to any cheap or budget mid-range vinyl systems. Ivor Tiefenbrun, the maker of high end Linn turntables back in the day said he would never go digital, but had to eat his own words in the end. Linn still make turntables, but they have had to adapt to a massively changed audio world. I drooled for a Linn Sondek back in the day, now I just laugh.

12. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I just looked around a bit in my Country (Canada) and you can get mid to high range turntables for anywhere from 200 to 600 bucks.There has been a resurgence of interest in vinyl and if the op is only interested in jumping in to the market there are a lot of options.Even Bestbuy sells them again. Like anything else you can break the bank if you like or not. Vinyl records can be pricey anywhere from 12 to 40 bucks a piece and a lot more are becoming available. Worth it? Depends on the person I guess in the end.

13. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I have few records and looking at getting some more, ive seen some good deal at the charity shops. i was looking at this one.