Vietnamese store put up preorder for ASUS ROG STRIX 1180s

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 2, 2018.

1. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    So a Formula One car is more pleasant and enjoyable to drive instead of a Rolls-Royce. Your arguments are flawed because common-sense is above our personal opinions. End of off-topic for me.

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That's quite funny. But with amount of movement in games and pixel persistence of low refresh rate screens, I can bet that IQ in motion is better on those 240Hz screens.
    Racing games... With high resolution, low Hz screen players usually employ motion blur. With 240Hz, you disable all blurring effects and enjoy motion clarity.

So, it is not that easy to say resolution is better than refresh rate. Because that refresh rate comes with secondary benefits. It is apparent that in games where things do not move, or if you observe details only at times when things do not move, you value resolution over motion clarity.
    I personally do not value resolution as much, because I rarely sit and watch static scenery. And even then, I can say that 1080p is far from bad resolution. Use downsampling from 1440p and then you have almost same IQ. That's because per pixel precision of rendering is not exactly good.

You can see same effect even when playing youtube video. On 1080p screen, you can easily see difference between 1080p and 1440p stream. Going from 1440p to 4k makes very little difference.

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I was one of the early adopters of high refresh monitors (120hz from back in 2012) and still have a 1440p 120hz in my spare PC, so am very familiar with them. Loved them over the years but people may value different aspects of gaming over others. Dont care about fast faced competitive gaming, but rather slower paced, visually appealing atmospheric games. 4k imo is only worth it when you can make use of the pixels on a decent size screen. 27" 4k doesnt cut it. On a 40" 4k at 2' distance, I can see minute details that never knew existed in games. And my whole visual area is taken up by the size to where I feel almost in the game rather than viewing it. Something I could never get out of small, high refresh rate monitors. Some people dont give a crap about that. They just want absolute fluidity of fast motion to get an edge in the game. So its a matter of preference. The visual aspect is very similar to watching a movie on a small screen vs a big screen. The latter is just more convincing and immersive, no way around it.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I used to have larger screen. Immersion is nice, till screen is too big and you start to lose important details on sides. But with VR, games are designed to show important things closer to center of screen. And are generally about experiencing something.

So, i would say, you should go for VR with new HTC Vive and wireless. That little discomfort headset brings is well paid for with immersion.
    It's funny, how even simple games with little to no details feel immersive in VR. You can play totally stupid game, you would never have fun on large screen, and in VR it is a lot of fun.
    And I can say that resolution in VR is not most important thing. Most important thing is that black space between pixels. If you see grid of any sort, it kills experience.

Edit: And btw. in 2012 I went other route. I went for passive 3D. If passive 4k 3D TVs came before VR, I would have some 40~50'' one and just play classic games in 3D.
    I think I had most fun with "Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light" and HL2. But I did quickly replaced it with 120Hz (no 3D).

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018

5. Clawedge

Clawedge Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    Looks like that TiTi nomenclature is taking off!

Solfaur likes this.
  6. Dazz

Dazz Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    I have a bet riding on end of September.... common, my mate thinks aug but i am saying announced then and preorder for 1 month with release end of sept.

But i am disappointed if this is a refresh of pascal which was a refresh of Maxwell that would be 3 refreshes of the same core architecture. So the same crap as we had with Intel when AMD didn't have the funds to compete. Stagnated market which is over priced all bad for the customer and lack of innovation. Not like it was bad enough in the CPU market but when you get it in the graphics market too thats really really depressing!

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Once you go 144HZ you can never go back. And the difference is huge!

I enjoy my 1080p display at 144HZ much more then before at 60HZ and I can easily enable 2880x1620 which is the perfect ratio and still can get away with higher fps, bigger fov and less aliased picture at waaaay more fluid image.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    What are you talking about? Almost every single 1080Ti can hit clocks close to or exceeding 1.9GHz without touching any sliders. When you start doing so, many cards can hit 2GHz quite effortlessly. My 1080Ti boosts to 1936MHz out-of-the-box. With some slider tweaking, it hits 1987-2012 MHz without even breaking a sweat, and that's in Summer weather.

You're dead wrong. It's obvious you have never tried a 120Hz+ display for any extended period of time if you think higher refresh rates are only useful for competitive games ...

Solfaur likes this.
  9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    If it's just a GDDR6 refresh there might not be a Titan.
    True, when I see a mouse moving at 60Hz it looks like it's lagging now.

However, remember kids, it makes your GPU AND CPU both weep. My i7-4770K is set to 4.2GHz on the core and cache and in some games (like FF15) I'm CPU bottlenecked at 1440p with all the settings I want. WAT?! Stop using 4 hojillion draw calls per second Square Enix.

Honestly if any of you want a high refresh rate monitor I'd say even in 90Hz is fine, it's a very noticeable improvement over 60. To my eyes over 100 fps is only noticeable while you're paying attention, in the middle of gaming you're not going to really notice the difference between 100 and 144 much.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    -Tj-, Solfaur and fantaskarsef like this.
  10. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    Obviously fake. This site has really went downhill recently.

fOrTy_7 likes this.

11. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 SUPER
    You couln't be more on point. Especiallt since moore's law starts fading. Also, I like hearing you trying to be smart ( generally ), but you will jump the gun as fast as these puppies being released. No matter what you say now: "I won't buy it because of this and because of that". And if you have the pockets, for you in't s not an issue anyway. Even if the increase was just as small as only one small step forward. For instance, the GTX 1060 might not catch up with the new 1180, but still... You WILLL buy it and as I said before, if your pockets are deep enough, doesn't matter.

It's totally reasonably to try to milk each card they release from now on as much as possible. Always somewhat they were doing it, even more nowadays.

Case in point. He got a relatively new card which is extremely powerful but he's willing to sell it for 40 percent less in order to get the new one. Meanwhile he won't be getting the power increase relatively to what he'll be seeling these new cards. At leasr I hioe tou don;t pls

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  12. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti
    As i told, it will cost gazilion bucks :D

13. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Master Guru

GPU:
    x
    Navi is a 2020 product. Nvidia has plenty of time to deal with that... in 2019 we might see a Vega refresh with 7nm, not a real threat on the refined pascal

14. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Master Guru

GPU:
    x
    Never said I will or won't buy the next gen GPUs. that's not the point here..
    it will be just like the CPU market 3 years ago. you can go with intel or intel or intel. choose.

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I don't fully agree with this. 3 years ago, Intel wasn't the best in every category - remember, there's more than just them and AMD (Intel was, however, the only choice for things like high-performance systems that depend upon x86). Not everyone cares about shaving a few seconds off their rendering time. Not everyone cares about having a few extra FPS. Not everyone is limited to running x86 Windows software.
    As for GPUs, the story isn't a whole lot different. Current generation AMD hardware is perfectly capable and well-priced for 1080p gamers (excluding skewed prices due to crypto miners). Despite the slew of issues Vega 64 has, it is still capable of offering good framerates at 4K (once the drivers got sufficiently patched). Remember, it's derived from a roughly 7-year-old archiecture. I'm not saying I recommend Vega 64, because I certainly don't. My point is AMD isn't as far behind as people make them out to be. The 1080Ti (or the Titans) are still obviously the best choices, but they're not affordable to most people.

In other words, just because AMD doesn't have anything worth getting in the high-end, that doesn't mean Nvidia is the only brand to choose.

16. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    If you do not seek smooth 4K gaming @60hz/fps AMD is on the game even now.

Stop being mad at Amd. It is your choice people. You need more pay more, be green.

The same happened with ryzen. Someone with absolute money goes blue, but if you want bang for buck you go always red, end.

It was always their problem blue and green guys not providing newer technologies. They were milking you, AMD do the best they can.

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    [​IMG]

The original image:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

fOrTy_7 likes this.
  18. Pinscher

Pinscher Active Member

GPU:
    1080 ti Duke
    smartest thing anyone said on this thread so far.

Buying a 12nm refresh isn't going to be night and day from 14nm as 14 and 12 are the same thing, for the most part. Why don't people remember this? any tech site reader should realize this by now. At least the 1180ti will be a different GPU than a refresh 1080/1180.

19. Pinscher

Pinscher Active Member

GPU:
    1080 ti Duke
    Yup, most all Asian countries are paying a significant premium for their products. In those countries, only the rich children game...

20. Pinscher

Pinscher Active Member

GPU:
    1080 ti Duke
    I agree, other than getting a extra 20FPS at 4k, there isn't anything else my computer "needs" form future GPUS.

If 7nm and arch changes bring forward Ray tracing as a standard, then that's another story, but sadly, it normally takes the GPU industry 3 generations of milking before they are fully capable of supporting new display technologies. Nvidia still doens't do DX12...