Video - Stutters

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by fluidz, Dec 24, 2020.

1. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080ti
    EDIT - 4th Dec 2021 : I found a potential workaround for dropped frames in Youtube when using Edge (Chromium). Open edge://flags , search for “media foundation playback for windows 10”, enable it, restart the browser.

-- ORIGINAL THREAD --

Heya everyone,

I'm seeing a 0.5 - 1 second periodic stutter occur when playing 60fps videos at 120hz/60hz, it happens at regular intervals. It occurs when a video is being played via youtube in any web browser (with and without video hardware acceleration) and it also occurs in software video players such as Vlc media player and Media player classic. The period between stutters changes depending whether or not Gsync is enabled in NVCP. The stutter is not baked into the video itself.

Here is a video recording showing the issue, recorded using my phone. I'm using a stopwatch app to monitor the stutters (which happen roughly every 7 seconds). In the video you can see that the screen shakes horizontally every 7-8 seconds. In this example, the monitor is set to 60hz and Gsync is enabled. Monitor - Acer xb271hu (native 144hz).

https://streamable.com/o0d85o

Edit - Using a program called Rtss Blank status, I am able to see the refresh rate of the monitor whilst Gsync is enabled. There seems to be a correlation between the stuttering and the refresh rate changing. The intervals between stutters and intervals between refresh rate fluctuations seem to match. In the video below, notice how the refresh rate changes from 60hz to 59hz roughly every 7-8 seconds, which is the exact amount of time between the video stutters. Note : Rtss Blank Status application is not causing the stuttering. Watch this video and make of it what you will..

https://streamable.com/q4jv1j

Got a couple of minutes spare? Please download this 60fps video (roughly 29MB), its the same video used in the example above ^, it's a popular youtube video - https://www.dropbox.com/s/wcryr0yqsq3p0d5/videoplaybacktest.webm?dl=0

[​IMG]

Please do this quick test and get back to me, I appreciate it. If you have a Gsync monitor to test with, it's even better.

- Set your monitors refresh rate to 60hz or 120hz
    - Vsync enabled/disabled, it doesn't matter
    - Open the video file in any app of your choice. Vlc/Media player classic/Films & tv etc..

- Can you confirm whether or not -

- The video stutters once approx every 17-18 seconds if Gsync is disabled/you don't have a gsync monitor
    - The video stutters once approx every 7-8 seconds if Gsync is Enabled (You must have a Gsync compatible monitor and it needs to be enabled in the Nvidia control panel, fullscreen only)

Things I have tried so far..

- I ran through the above steps on 3 different pc's, both intel and amd platforms, and could reproduce it on all 3.
    - Each pc has its own Nvidia Graphics Card installed (different Nvidia card in each.)
    - Each pc connected to a single monitor.
    - Tested two different monitors, a Gsync monitor and one non gsync monitor.
    - Tried both Displayport and Hdmi to rule out the port, I switched the cables over too.
    - I have so far tested 3 different versions of Windows 10, v20h2, v1909 and v1709 to rule out the OS version.
    - I have tested many different Nvidia drivers including Windows 10 default v432.00 to no avail
    - I tested without a graphics card installed, and used onboard only, and the periodic stutter does not occur.
    - I tested with and without Vsync enabled (forced via application profiles/globally.)
    - I tested using Vlc media player, Media player classic, Windows media player and films & tv (zune video) and also tried disabling hardware acceleration if the option was available.
    - I set NVCP global profile to prefer maximum performance.

What I find really strange is testing without a Nvidia card installed, using intel onboard graphics, monitor set to 60hz/120hz, I did not see the same periodic stutter (every 7-8 seconds), it only seems to happen when using one of my Nvidia cards, hence why I'm asking here. :/

Edit - I asked a friend to see if they could reproduce it on their i7, 980ti rig with non Gsync 60hz monitor and they saw the exact same thing. When the monitor was set to its native 60hz refresh rate, they confirmed the 60fps video above ^ stuttered every 17-18 seconds in Vlc media player.

Please do this test before commenting. Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021 at 3:28 AM
  2. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    TUF OC RTX 3080
    Gsync monitor 1440p no stutter at all with the video

fluidz likes this.
  3. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080ti
    Refresh rate? Video player? Thanks :)

4. Xul Aethyr

Xul Aethyr Active Member

GPU:
    1080TI MSI Gaming X 2ghz
    165 hz watched the youtube video no stutter
    also fine at 120hz
    Gsync

fluidz likes this.

5. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080ti
    Did you test in a software video player as well? Test without Gsync?

It won't happen at 165hz, the issue seems to happen if the refresh rate is divisible by the framerate of the video, for example.

120hz/60hz - 60fps video (stutter occurs)
    144hz - 60fps video (no stutter)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  6. Arinoki

Arinoki Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 650 1GB
    60hz no gsync display, quite old hardware - gtx650/c2d e8400, watched directly on utube - no stutters at all. Chrome Canary (latest)
    And the same with PotPlayer, but its also has hardware acceleration.
    Video Drivers - 465.21
    I even made video record of how its going in PotPlayer (used OBS for recording) - so u may check.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y14Ika78onh73we0PuWIh0zamb-fbb_X/view?usp=sharing

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    fluidz likes this.
  7. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    TUF OC RTX 3080
    Windows Movie and refresh rate =165 Hz

fluidz likes this.
  8. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080ti
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    Xul Aethyr likes this.
  9. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    I used VLC Media Player on a 60 Hz monitor, no G-Sync, the video was smooth, zero stutter.

fluidz likes this.
  10. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080ti
    Check this out. I managed to capture Youtube dropping a frame in New Edge roughly every 19 seconds only when Gsync is enabled (fullscreen only or windowed + fullscreen). Refresh rate : 120hz. Skip to 01:37 for the first dropped frame.

Timestamps :

00:00 - General system summary, Edge version, idle utilization etc.
    00:45 - Edge flags reset to default (vanilla state)
    01:10 - Test 1 - Gsync fullscreen enabled. Browser hardware acceleration enabled. 4 dropped of 5127.
    02:56 - Test 2 - Gsync fullscreen enabled. Browser hardware acceleration disabled. 4 dropped of 5006.
    04:58 - Test 3 - Gsync disabled. Browser hardware acceleration enabled. 0 dropped of 4483. (for some reason the video window has turned blank in the recording but it was visible to me during the recording!)
    06:29 - Test 4 - Gsync disabled. Browser hardware acceleration disabled. 0 dropped of 4365.
    08:13 - Test 5 - Gsync windowed and fullscreen enabled. Browser hardware acceleration enabled. 4 dropped of 4829. (again some reason the video window has turned blank in the recording)
    09:51 - Test 6 - Gsync windowed and fullscreen enabled. Browser hardware acceleration disabled. 5 dropped of 4815.
    11:41 - Test 7 - Gsync disabled. Browser hardware acceleration disabled. 0 dropped of 2490. (This is a repeat of test 4)
    12:24 - Showing Nvidia Global/Edge Program profile settings (default)
    12:49 - Monitor model, display resolution + refresh rate
    12:57 - Single display configuration
    13:07 - Nvidia driver version (460.89)
    13:16 - Task manager processes (nothing out the ordinary)

Can anyone reproduce this?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    Ener and Xul Aethyr like this.

11. Ener

Ener New Member

GPU:
    1660S
    Hi, I made an account here to confirm that I can reproduce this. EDGE (new chromium) and Chrome has always slowly piled up dropped frames on my system and disabling G-sync completely fixes this. I'm using 460.97 but driver version hasn't really mattered. Could this mean the G-Sync module in my monitor is defective? It's the AW2518H from the first generation of 240Hz monitors so it's quite old now.

And for your previous vsync refresh rate post:
    239.986Hz = Gsync disabled
    239.573Hz = Gsync enabled (fullscreen only)

One more thing, frames are only getting dropped when watching 60fps videos. No dropped frames when I watch 30fps videos even with Gsync enabled.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    fluidz likes this.
  12. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    I saw that in games with enabled vsync: With gsync (compatible) enabled, vsync fps cap was always a bit lower than with gsync disabled (not due to ULL ultra). It's of course already weird enough to have this behavior in games (not the case with AMD), but that it may even affect desktop usage seems bad. I also had weird fullscreen behavior in mpv with software decoding and gsync globally enabled, but not for the player itself.

fluidz likes this.
  13. kalimar94

kalimar94 New Member

GPU:
    Aorus 1080TI
    Hello,

I also have the xb271hu as primary monitor and I can confirm that with Gsync on there is a dropped frame in youtube once in every few thousand frames.
    While this is annoying, more often than not, I could not perceive those dropped frames as stutter.

However what makes a huge difference for me watching videos at 144hz is adjusting the windows power plans, moving away from Balanced power plan greatly improves the stability when browsing/watch videos for me. I'll try to play a bit with the power settings explorer and see if it's possible to have 0 dropped, without turning off Gsync.

While I am not super concerned with power bills or longevity of my system, I am quite disappointed that you need to be running your CPU at the one of the highest P-state to browse the internet.

P.S. I am using Chrome, but I am pretty sure the experience between Chrome and the new Edge is identical for the most parts.

fluidz likes this.