video problems after install of new nvidia drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by mr3dguy, Jun 23, 2005.

1. mr3dguy

mr3dguy New Member

GPU:
    Chaintech 5700 256
    Earlier today I installed the NIVIDA drivers (77.72) for my BFG 6600 GT. They installed fine, however when I play any type of video such as Quicktime or AVI the computer starts freaking out and slows to a crawl. I was able to play back any type of video pre 77.72 so I can always rollback the driver. However, I know I will need to update the drivers to play some of the latest games like Battlefield 2 (which I have on order).

As an experiment, I swapped video cards with my other computer which had a EVGA 5700 Ultra. I tried to reproduce the same problem on the 5700 and the videos played back just fine! No problems. Furthermore, I installed the 6600 GT in my other computer and I am received the same problems when playing videos as it did in my other computer.

To go even further, I picked up a new Giga-byte 6600 GT card from a local dealer and popped it in to see if it worked and low and behold I received the same playback problems. This is leading me to believe that there is some issue with the new drivers and 6600 series cards. Has anyone had this or a similar problem when playing back Quicktime or AVI movies?

My computer specs –

Computer #1:
    Pentium 4 3.4
    ATI IC7-G motherboard
    2 gig ram
    BFG 6600 GT video card
    Windows XP PRO SP 1
    Quicktime 6.5
    Windows Media Player 10

Computer #2:
    Pentium 4 3.2
    ATI IC7 motherboard
    1 gig ram
    Windows XP PRO SP 1
    Quicktime 6.5
    Windows Media Player 10

2. AngelusOFGOD

AngelusOFGOD New Member

GPU:
    nVidia Geforce 6800GT
    Same thing happend to my 6800GT, annoying as hell. rolled back to the drivers with battlefield 2 and all is good again. nvidia need to fix that odd bug.

3. DojoMax

DojoMax New Member

GPU:
    eVGA GeForce 9800GT
    As i posted in another topic, all of the 77.xx do that to me. -_-

The last 71.89 drivers played fine, but I had a wierd bug where playing this one 300 mb AVI file would cause my system to crash if I tried to skip ahead, and never load if I didn't.

4. mr3dguy

mr3dguy New Member

GPU:
    Chaintech 5700 256
    update

Sorry to hear some of you are having the same problem.

I tried using the drivers that came with BF2 and no luck. I am now installing Service Pack 2 and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for all the advice so far.

5. panzaman

panzaman New Member

I have the same problem with 6600GT, media player freezes and so it does Chris TV, Zoom player and any other application that uses the overlay.
    Does nVidia knows about this problem?

6. bobekk

bobekk Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 VENTUS 3X
    i cant play movies on tv out....when i attach my tv choose clone mode from nview then launch some divx...i have black screen on tv...in my monitor movies play ok but on tv not...:(

7. OH28AD

OH28AD Guest

yep, ive got the same prob. no 77. drivers will work. tried the color correction trick still nothing .. im using 71.89 drivers and all works fine! .. err nvidia!

8. simonreeves

simonreeves New Member

GPU:
    geforce 5900xt
    yeah I get this too, verrryy annoying seeing as have to have new drivers for bf2

9. bbanks

bbanks New Member

GPU:
    geforce 6600
    i have the same problem i cant watch any videos. i myself am running a geforce 6600. all i got form tech support was try older drivers. i am now running 71.84 and am in need of an update but none of the new drivers work.

problem

whenever i run any type of video online dvd doesnt matter or the format my pc maxes out (100%). obiously this is a problem. i am forced to manually restart.

i was told this is a driver issue (nvidia tech support) and that i should go to older drivers. well that does alot of good and this waqs said when the 72's were comming out and now there at 77's and still no fix for this!! its BS

i see many complaints and nofixes. anyone know of a newer driver then 71.84 that will work with my card?

77.72 will NOT work ive treid gett he same **** and also when using 77.72 my games all get BSOD when i exit them.

10. xtaxy2

xtaxy2 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG Asylum GEforce FX 5200 256Mb AGP
    Try this if this gonna work!..Open your WMP,click on Tools-Option,then go to Performance Tab.Under Video Acceleration click on Advance button...Now in Video Acceleration be sure that "Use video mixing renderer"is check,then check(if not check)'Use high Quality Mode"(this will automatically uncheck "Use Overlay"if check.Then click on OK,then APPLY..OK again(if small window pop out)..OK again to close the OPTION...Close the WMP..Then try if this solve the problem.

Note: i just copy and paste this from other thread/neway,am the orig. author of this post./smile..

Last edited: Jul 2, 2005

11. bbanks

bbanks New Member

GPU:
    geforce 6600
    it the drivers. as i stated above i talked to tech support and its a known issue. it needs to be adressed however the latest driver i just downloaded that works is a beta driver

77.72 optimized. i worked my way up from my old 71.84 and this is the only driver that will work for me. yes its beta nto the official but it works. the optimized 77.72

12. xtaxy2

xtaxy2 Active Member

GPU:
    BFG Asylum GEforce FX 5200 256Mb AGP
    Ohh,okay,cuz once you intalled another video driver, the WMP Advance Performance also is back to default,so next time(jaz in case)if your havin problem w/ video(specially WMP,standalone)you can try that.

13. RedMagnus

RedMagnus New Member

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 6600GT (128MB DDR3, AGP)
    video players with 77.72 don't work, even with xtaxy2's advice for WMP. Have to stay at 71.89 if I want to watch videos. Also noticed, at 71.84 WMP uses 10% of cpu almost constantly for my test video, and 71.89 uses 30% almost constantly. I can see a pattern going here... Not a good one either.

14. bUrd

bUrd New Member

GPU:
    128MB Nvidia 6600GT
    So I'm not the only one? Bought BF2, installed, updated with the recommended nvidia drivers, and running the game on LOW DETAIL for the entire settings and 800x600, and the game chunks the moment any other player or vehicle comes onto the screen.

Exact same avi/mpg problem, CPU goes through the roof and the fastest way to get back to normal is to reboot.

Currently using 71.80 drivers, which let me play avi/mpg files, but BF2 jumps and skips all over the place worse than the 77.30 and newer. At least I can still watch movie files even if I can't play BF2.

Methinks I'll be sticking with ATI in the future.

15. mr3dguy

mr3dguy New Member

GPU:
    Chaintech 5700 256
    problem solved..sort of

I sort of solved my problem with the new drivers..the hard way..I bought a BFG 6800 GT. No issues with video playback now. May have been an expensive solution but this new card rocks!!

16. bUrd

bUrd New Member

GPU:
    128MB Nvidia 6600GT
    My PC

Specs ------------------------------------->

Winfast 6600GT 128MB AGP 8x
    Athlon64 3200+
    1GB Corsair CAS2
    MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum

Just ran 3Dmark05, and it dropped to 1 fps after about 15 seconds

My mate's PC

No-name brand 6600GT 256MB PCI-Ex
    Athlon64 3200+
    1GB Corsair CAS2
    Asus something board, kinda cheap

Both of using the exact same drivers, mine goes to crap, his hammers along at full detail in BF2.

17. aznxnewtype

aznxnewtype Active Member

GPU:
    XFX HD 6870
    nobody still has a fix for this? =/
    does the enw 80.## drivers fix it?

18. dismal

dismal Member Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6600GT AGP / 81.94
    I think you guys talking about BF2 might want to read my last post and other peoples posts on "Best Drivers for 6600GT?". Also the conversation and suggestions are only going to be truly helpful if you have the same motherboard chipset as the person(s) who are having the problem or running smooth. A bug for one motherboard/chipset is not a bug for the other in most cases. So for me I figure for my Northbridge/Southbridge/6600GT AGP combo that 77.50 is very smooth with it. Also keep in mind that any bug with the game and your soundcard will cause considerable loss of FPS. So you might want to look into messing with your sound settings.

19. macatak

macatak Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
  20. Hondase

Hondase New Member

Those that get stuttering might wanna try the 66.92 ( i think ) drivers. They work great for me on my bfg 6600gt oc