Video Lockup with 81.85 drivers Help

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by makots, Oct 22, 2005.

1. makots

makots New Member

I am having a problem where anytime I try to play a .MPG or .AVI file in either Bsplayer or Media player using the 81.85 drivers my entire system locks up and is unusable. The only drivers that do not have this problem for me is the old 71.89 set. This is very frustrating because the 81.85 set seems to perform well in both Fear and Quake 4. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. daveid

daveid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600GTS + 7300GT DDR3 / 7600GS
    well, we should start at the beginning, did you use driver cleaner pro when upgrading drivers? if not, good place to start..
    you may need to supply more information, i just upped both my systems to 81.85 and they seem perfect. when playing a video my cpu usage (on htpc) is between 15-25%, right where it should be...
    if you did indeed use driver cleaner pro, lets look into other things..
    what codecs are you using for your videos? which splitters (windows default, or have you installed codec packs)?
    and what video output do you use? ie, overlay, default renderer, VMR9...

3. nodo

nodo Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT260
    I had the same, or a similar problem on my second pc ... Video playback worked with good old 77.xx drivers but not with the 81.xx drivers ...

The problem was the AGP drivers of the SiS chipset ... Try to update your chipset drivers, maybe it will help in your case too !

I don't know why the new drivers demand a newer agp driver but it seems to be the problem

I hope this helps

4. Presi

Presi Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 6800GT @ 420/1110
    I can't even start windows with these! It freezes on startup. Never had a problem with drivers in the past!

YES I installed them proprely.

Anybody else out there with the same issue?

Check my specs ----->

plus I've two monitors.

Thanks!

5. makots

makots New Member

Actually, I am using the standard Intel 865 chipset on my Abit motherboard. Not sure if there even is an updated AGP driver for it. I used driver cleaner to do the install it just seems that the 81 series driver set will always lock up any video file I try to play at all. Very strange.

6. newguy20005

newguy20005 New Member

I have the same problem only my computer doesn't lockup, cpu usage goes to 100% and I have to use task manager to kill BSPlayer or WMP then I can control my pc again.

I solved the problem by using 71.90 drivers (downloaded from this site) with those drivers the problem is gone. I've found another solution I haven't tried and don't think it will work but then again you never know.

"If your using XP and a nvidea card
    and experiance the well known lockup bug when trying to play games ect ect

the following should fix the problem,

1. go to display properties\advanced\troubleshoot tab\then un check enable write combining

2.go to start\run\regedit\the to the following key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

create the following dword > LargePageMinimum set it to
    ffffffff in the hexadecimal which will = 4294967295 in value -- reboot

3.try setting the agp apeture to 128MB loacated in bios settings

this will be a fix for many"

7. makots

makots New Member

This is very weird. I have tried almost all the 8 Series driver and it always seems to lock up the video. Hopefully one of these days Nvidia may address this.

8. dimasdw

dimasdw Member

GPU:
    Leadtek/7800GT/256
    I have same problem with makots...
    i tried use Driver Cleaner Pro and the problem solved :)

but i still have some problem ,when i right clik on the dektop and click NVIDIA Display Setting the desktop going dark,and return to the normal when i change the refresh rate......

hm...any idea ?

9. makots

makots New Member

Stupid Question but I will ask anyway :} Did you just run Drive Cleaner Pro before 81.85 install and then the video mpg or avi file went away? Didn't realize it was that simple. I shall give it a try.

10. dimasdw

dimasdw Member

GPU:
    Leadtek/7800GT/256
    yes,just uninstal the previous driver-->restart--> run Drive Cleaner Pro-->Restart --->instal 81.85 :D